Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

It’s a bit of a risk but I know some are being delivered, and I guess this is the last chance purchase at a price that isn’t much higher. Out of of the 303 clone boxes, this is the one that’s appealed the most to me. So let’s see how it goes!

too late :frowning:.

Welcome to the club @funkylsk :wink:

I was tempted to order a silver one yesterday. The SEM filter cards are available again so I bought one of those instead

1 Like

It’s really a tradeoff we’re willing to make an educated guess on.

Admittedly, support can suck but the “drama and uncertainty” is mostly an internet phenomena among a smaller subset of users. Expectations for preorders for a project like this can get wildly inappropriate and ungrounded in how estimations get shitwrecked by parts conditions.

Yeah, some vendors and projects are more easily managed. The more specific and selective the vendor and outcome, the less easy substitutes. I didn’t want a BehilFish, I know I can get those with little frustration.

I see it more as “investing” in an indie engineer in an awkward scale of industry in a field where slightly larger corps are outright shutting down.

1 Like

:crazy_face: Cannot wait to have one more clone in my collection … But this clone … :heart_eyes:
I did not add a card to my purchase, as I cannot choose between card while looking at videos on youtube that show the differences

The SEM, R:OTA and 2044 cards are back in stock on the website. Of course, it comes down to personal preference and opinion. For myself, I absolutely wouldn’t miss out on getting at least the SEM card. If you don’t like it, usually sought after once going out of stock and you shouldn’t have a problem selling one. The R:OTA is probably the 2nd most sought after.

You’ve probably seen this video, but posting it again just in case (elsewhere in this thread as well).

5 Likes

Yes I’ve seen this video, but it do not really help me to choose :frowning:
R:OTA seems better to my personnal opinion across several youtube video.
I will ask Lying Dalai Opinion this evening, as we will jam together :slight_smile:

I had R:OTA and SEM carts when I had my Avalon, but I chose the SEM cart over the built in filter and R:OTA, most of the time. This is of course just personal choice and the filter videos on YouTube don’t really help much - you really need to hear them in your own usage case and in your own environment.

2 Likes

I agree man. The SEM sounds great in person.

1 Like

The SEM filter is almost never removed from my Avalon and I have all of the carts. I even bought a 2nd one ‘just in case’ anything happens to the first one. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah i think everyone’s a wee bit impatient here but the number of people new to how the sausage is made and the nuances of interacting with single-employee synth companies screeching about involving their Attorneys General and “class action suits” is offputting.

Have these people participated in a class action suit before? Yeesh.

Edit: Gawks at Modwiggler’s ongoing cassette tape echo thread :o

3 Likes

Ah interesting, I didn’t know about this cartridge approach, very cool.
Would love one of these but £££

I don’t think people are impatient fwiw. I ordered two and it’s been over 2 years. With very minimal updates. They were promised several times with missed deadlines. I get the frustration.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s a material difference between impatient and frustration, I am certain we agree and empathize the same.

Any snark is around the rhetoric surrounding what they’re going to do and how convinced they are Brian “disappeared with their money”, not around people complaining about complications and missed deadlines.

It’s all the more ridiculous when people on the same groups are receiving Avalons (albeit slowly.)

3 Likes

That makes sense, I agree with that.

There’s already one from this last batch on Reverb for $3700

Pretty crazy asking $3700 while there’s also an actual TB-303 on Reverb right now in pretty decent shape for $3999. TBH, I’d much rather have the Avalon, but would never pay that price. $2000-2500 is the hard ceiling for these IMO and that better include a few of the filter carts.

Yeah I think 2500 plus the carts is a good price. MAYBE 3000. Close to 4000 is insane.

Hmm the filter carts. Having many euro filters makes the necessity less clear.

Any one can with both comment?