Avalon Bassline...worth it?/ Opinion

If youre going to get an avalon, you should definitely own a cartridge or two.

The convenience of not having to switch on euro and mess with wires is a huge plus.

Also, the whole point is to have the filter interact with the sequencer - its a huge difference to using any eurorack sequencer.

For example, I own both a TVS Pro and Oberheim SEM (currently for sale in the ads section), and I have never been compelled to use their filter because the SEM cartridge sounds great and I love using it with the modulation coming from the sequencer onboard.

Hereā€™s mine, in a 1 of 1 colour scheme, sitting in front of the Cirklon for instant jamming :heart:

6 Likes

Wow, I like this gray! :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Someone could have bought 2 silver Avalons for the same price a few days agošŸ˜‚

The silver looks so cool! Kinda wish Iā€™d gone for that instead of the black, but at this point I donā€™t really care what color it is

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the OG silver case where there werenā€™t good yields due to the manufacturer? I think the new one is a little more flat/muted but I could be wrong. Either way itā€™s beautiful case. Iā€™m a sucker for almost anything in silver or grey in general finish.

1 Like

Yup, its a one off colour with speckled finish and red ledā€™sā€¦. I looove anything in grey for representing that ā€œeraā€.

1 Like

I specifically requested this case ā€¦ and received it earlier this year alongside a white with blue leds. They are both from the new batch

1 Like

Ah, very nice. It turned out really beautiful! Congrats.

I was too slow :frowning:

I have many euro filters and as the next poster said there is something to be said for having options on board for ease of use. And for great compatibility of the circuits.

I highly recommend getting at least one. I am going to buy four more - so have two of each filter for both of my units.

The Avalon on its own has its own/303 sound and so doesnā€™t mean it can fit in every track but with my 2044 cartridge - Iā€™m yet to find a song that, across the two filter options, there isnā€™t space for itā€™s colour options somewhere.

Iā€™m looking forward to increasing this available spectrum via the filters Iā€™m yet to buy.

1 Like

Nice, cheers for that. I think I will grab a couple if still available!

yeah I am curious if the ladder cart gets another run, I watched someone stream a quick demo of all the different ones and 2044 isnā€™t as exciting to me as the rest, I kind of thought it would just be more or less the same as the ladder but the ladder cart has a real growl to it. R:OTA is actually the one I imagine using most (other than the built in filter) SEM is obviously great to have around being the most flexible.

1 Like

does the Avalon (and its sequencer )play nice with the cirklonā€™s sequencer?

Finally I ordered R:OTA Filter and SEM Filter =D. Now itā€™s time to wait, see you maybe in december ā€¦ ahah (I ordered in the last last batch last week) !

2 Likes

Yes its plug n play. Though i dont sequence the Avalon with it. I just send it clock and its tight. Besides, half the fun is using the Avalon sequencer so it sort of defeats the purpose to use the Cirklon

1 Like

So how do you use it in the context of the Cirklonā€™s song mode? for example, I donā€™t use elektron sequencers at all and do all my sequencing via the cirklon. (elektron boxes have fantastic midi implementations an are often multi timbral.)

So how does the Avalons external sequencer fit into your Cirklon work flow, do you not use the song mode?

No not really. Im too lazy to.a. These days I just tinker on the Avalon while Cirklon sends clock. I record mini patterns which then I try to resequence in Ableton. I should prob play more with song mode but trying to get out of linear midi sequencing and printing audio which is manipulated post

I donā€™t use a DAW and usually just record to tape. The Cirklon song mode has been a blessing in that regard.

I need to check it out and use more thoroughly. So you sequence all your elektrons from the Cirklon? Do you not use the built in sequencer on your units?

Maybe, if your (interesting) questions are on the Cirklon topic only, you could continue it in the appropriate place :wink:

2 Likes

:+1: :joy:

1 Like