Autechre MD+MnM sysex files! [+ MPC, Nord]

Wild. Loaded the sysex for sfx60 this morning. They sound great. A few really nasty ones in there:

Playing around a bit more:

9 Likes

I recorded some of the drums from an MKI Machinedrum:

8 Likes

I can’t remember when or where I found this, but I think it matches the time frame.

7 Likes

Ahh, so he’s using outputs C+D as well… hmmmm

1 Like

Did Rob use the elektrons at all, or only Sean? Not that it’s important to know, haha.
Well, I guess nobody knows what they did in the studio.

does that mean we get another video? :wink:

thank you Autechre.
i just goofed around with it real quick. all i can say is damn…

21 Likes

Mad love for all the comments / examples on their technique. Thanks yall.

Now who’s going to be the hero and make some samples? :wink: (unsure of the ethics involved; correct me if wrong)

Awesome :slight_smile:

That glass is stressing me out.

1 Like

I know, right. Someone get the poor man a drink!

2 Likes

it just shows me how the tool in the right hands can do amazing things.
inspiring and a little upsetting…i thought my boxes where broken cuz they never made any good tunes.

turns out…once again…it was just user error. ha ha ha ha…dang

9 Likes

Autechre just put out a teaching tool that’s more effective than a thousand pages of compiled user tips. Explore at your own pace, reverse engineer, tweak, absorb lessons by osmosis. So incredibly generous. I love when Autechre deigns to give us a peek behind the curtains - there are always vast worlds to explore.

6 Likes

I’m curious what you mean by this. What were some routing examples you learned from the factory presets? I may go through them myself…

Well said! I guess my point was that, up until now, I’ve mostly stuck to reading the manual, reading compiled tips for the MD on these forums and trying to muddle through applying them myself, and watching a few youtube tutorials for specific techniques. All wonderful, indispensable resources, but not nearly as visceral and ready to play with as this, which makes a big difference in learning. I never really thought about digging into the factory patches, my limited imagination I suppose! (Generally speaking, one of the first things I do when I get my hands on a new machine is ignore the factory content, lol)

Apparently going into MD’s A/B inputs.
Which means you need MD and MnM ?

1 Like

(Almost off-topic: I kind of lost track of Autechre’s output over the last, um, decade. I just went and bought some of the recent stuff from their web store as a thank you to them for posting the MD and MM files. :clap: )

18 Likes

this is like MiniDisc on roids!

@sezare56 saw the MM out into MD. gonna see what thats like.
theres some midi stuff setup too.

3 Likes

this is incredible. I have a couple MD only tracks, but could never get it so dynamic sounding. I’ll definitely be tearing apart these patterns

I think it was on that WATTMM thread that they said the two machines had been boxed up for awhile.

They probably did this to move them at a profit :wink: