Australian gear price explosion

Yeh at $3800 AUD for an ARMKII im reaching out to international friends to start shipping them to me, and declaring them to customs as “point of sale cash registers” worth $500.00 each. They won’t be able to work em and definitely won’t read a manual…

I can then start undercutting the second hand market and selling them to make a sh*t load…it’s the next baby formula…:rofl:

2 Likes

M8, that’s a genius plan.

I was going to suggest Aussie Elekrotnauts pool together to arrange wholesale shipments… but your idea leave that proposal in the dust.

So what else could you label music machines?

DT - New generation Speak and Spell machine
MS / MS - Advanced calculator

2 Likes

Hahhaaha…pimp my speak and spell…!

MS and MC will definately pass as medical equiptment.

But I’m definitely going to 3D render a concept, fusing an model cycles to the front of A washing machine to smuggle them in. So the name still fits…

1 Like

Just a guess, but I’d imagine the import duties on electrical components are significantly lower (especially for companies) than electronic consumer goods. A good opportunity for builders of modular modules perhaps.

I’d love to visit Aus. How many Elektron machines could I get through customs I wonder…

1 Like

Call ‘em barbecue thermometers.

3 Likes

AUD isnt that far off where it was not that long ago, 0.65 now vs ~0.70 hopefully prices get back to where they were or its just retailers taking the piss

I’m currently retracting my previous comment 're pricing and going with - they are taking the piss…!

Hopefully it’s just a bubble driven by demand while people are in iso…it would make me think way less of everyone in the supply chain from the distributor down to retail chains and individual retailers who started to rub thier hands together in delight when all this covid stuff hit…that would be enough to make me bypass them and go international for every future purchase…

This image says it all.

2 Likes

Third time that’s been mentioned now, but I’m waiting to see the DN (or anything else) come back to a sensible price.
I mean, Mannys/storedj are charging $800 more for the DT than I paid them two years ago. May get a volca fm, or two, instead.

But its bullshit. They are not on sale at all, thats just the RRP before the price increase.

The price they are selling at hasnt changed because they have old stock they want to get rid of. But they dress it up as if a its a sale. Its not. Any new stock they buy will be at the new ’ oh shit the AUD is worth pissall’ price. Same everywhere. Except fuel… which has gone down to the same price is was 15 years ago… go figure :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah I agree with this, the suppliers would buy in bulk at whatever the prevailing rate is at the time, it would take some time to work through that stock. I can see prices staying higher for a while, especially more expensive stuff thats slower to move.

I am pretty sure retailers generally want to sell things as cheaply as they can while maintaining their margin. There’s some reputable stores that must be hurting a bit, a lot of their customers probably lost large parts of their income and everything is more expensive to boot.

I know I will be buying my next bit of equipment direct from Latvia :wink:

exactly. Though it’s a blister that’s burst: the on-hold music when I call my bank sounds like a chill hop Youtube channel now

1 Like

ha funny, true indeed. peak low fi. Wonder if those lo fi answering machines are now vintage and selling for 1000s.

1 Like

Centrelink needs as many answering machines as possible right now. It’s every Australians duty to import as many DT’s and OT’s as possible.

2 Likes

Just found and ordered a M:C for “close to the old launch price” $569.00 with free shipping from “Sound Devices” in Sydney, thank God not everyone is gouging…they could obviously see that others had the RRP at $699.00 but we’re cool enough to be still selling the gear they had in stock at the old “pre covid” price…friendly staff too.

3 Likes

They win the prize for most expensive AK in the world though
03 pm

1 Like

I was looking at stuff yesterday, OTmk2 is like 3.2k aud, Rytm mk2 is 3.5k wtf.

If you order off perfect circuit the rytm is about 2.5k aud. Even after shipping and taxes thats like a whole other synth you could get with the difference.

So what are prices for the Hydrasynth like there ?

You’d presume that at the very least the shipping and distribution from China would be as good or better than anywhere in the world.

I notice that the Australian national distributor for ASM (Hydrasynth) is the same as for Elektron. It’s Innovative Music Australia. They also distribute Novation and Moog. There is a little countervailing pressure with the Hydrasynth being in high demand. But even with that the main retailers in the USA are holding the price.

Your surplus with the AK is weird, but that could be a over-buy by Innovative Music Australia, rather than the separate retailers.

I think it woud be useful to pin down the sources of the price aberrations. As for instance Waldorf in the USA is high, because the distributor is taking an unusually large cut – or so i’ve concluded.

1 Like