At least 6 line in Audio/midi interface recommendations

Hi guys,
About to dive back into my old mpc1000 beat making (selling my MPC One btw if you’re interested) and I’m looking to track the 6 outs into Ableton Live. So I’d do a very basic mixing in the MP and take it to another level in Live.
I need an audio midi interface with 6 line inputs at least so I can track them all at once. Any recommendations?
Thank you!

The Focusrite Scarlett range is amazing value for money, though I just upgraded to the excellent Focusrite Clarett 8pre which sounds great and has a separate feedback loop for directly recording from YouTube/Spotify/whatever without using something like Soundflower.

Any USB audio interface that is built to a high standard with solid reviews with at least three stereo inputs will do the job.

3 Likes

Seconded.

I’ve got the 18i6 which gives plenty of ins and outs plus expansion capabilities. If you don’t need all of that and 6 ins is the only requirement, you could get away with the 8i6.

Thanks both! I think the 8i6 will do input wise and price wise for the moment. I currently have a 6i6 which I’m selling for that very reason, not enough ins.
So am I right to understand that the 2 front inputs can also behave as line ins although they’re mic/instrument ins?
Thanks

1 Like

The XR18 is an amazingly flexible interface with lots of routing possibilities! It is a digital mixer with 18in/18out interface. Ignore the mixer and use it just as interface!

I had RME and soundcraft before, and I am happier with the XR18

1 Like

That looks the business! I had no idea about those. Thanks mate

Yea, the XLR connectors are the ones with a jack connector in the middle, so just use whichever you need.

Most of the settings are controlled by the computer app. though, which is the only downside, but not really an issue, I just prefer hardware buttons myself.

budget and type of computer interface you’d prefer (USB, thunderbolt, firewire) would help a lot.

personally I swear by RME. I’d suggest anything from them. if new is too expensive, buy used. but I can’t suggest an exact interface without knowing the above info.

@chiasticon thanks for this, I’d say usb, MacBook Pro and I had around £350 to 400 in mind. I will check those RME ones you mention. A friend mentioned Audient as well.
Cheers

If you want a cheap one the edirol ua101 works for me

That looks perfect @geecen ! Thanks man! Had no idea Roland did those

Is the Focusrite Store available in your area? They sell refurbs and brand new older (2nd Gen) interfaces for cheap. They occasionally have brand new Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen for $230. Refurbished 18i8 3rd Gen is $330. But they usually sell out in a day so I’d bookmark that page and check daily if you’re looking to save some cash.

Actually @geecen looks like driver support stopped at High Sierra for the UA 101, too bad!

Thanks mate I will have a look at that. I think this is actually how I got my 6i6 in the 1st place :slight_smile:

Yeah don’t think you can go too far wrong with focusrite. Great products and support, when my previous interface died several years out of warranty they offered me 50% off a new one (whichever model I wanted) as they could no longer source the parts which I was pleased with as I was due an upgrade anyway!

1 Like

what about this one roland studio-capture?

2 Likes

RME fireface, hands-down. Not the cheapest option but one that’ll keep you happy for many man years. Soundquality is top notch.

More budget friendly options, like Focusrite Scarlett also shine with features and Soundquality.

Looks good! Didn’t know about those either. Thanks!!

RME is def out of budget so now I’m hesitating between focusrite 8i6 which exactly what I’m after specs wise, price, size and budget… or stretch it a bit and got with a bit more expensive and more options I might need in the future.

I’m trying to get into a new workflow so I don’t want to spend too much in case it doesn’t suit me. Make the rough beat on the mpc with just filter and EQ to toy with so I don’t get distracted with fancy fx. One I have something I like, I record it live in Ableton using 6 ins and then use fancy plugins like saturators, verbs, sidechain, stereo imager, etc etc.

I have a bit of time before my mpc 1K arrives (from Japan) so I’ll dig around a bit more.
Thanks everyone for your help!!!

A second hand MOTU UltraLite Mk3/MK4 would be a good choice as these can work standalone :slight_smile: