Arturia Polybrute

7 Likes

You can see the ribbon controller in the wood.

The Morph knob is pseudo-like the OT’s Slider. But Presets don’t crossfade from A to B or B to A.

It’s exactly like the crossfader or QPER on the Analogs. Looks cool. Well out of my price range, but they’ve done a good job on this one :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is really interesting and good sounding poly. If p6 and ob6 are priced like they are, then this Polybrute is cheap.

Combining technologies with an Analog Synth, this is a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Loopop makes the same observation in his vid.

ADDED: I am finding the digital effects quite impressive !

ADDED: Loopop makes a similar observation as i regarding the ribbon controller, as to how it doesn’t track with the keyboard very well, especially as compared to the Hydrasynth. He did find a magic number though that helps allow you to use the keyboard for pitch tracking on the ribbon,

1 Like

Maybe there will be polyfreak?

1 Like

Man. Sounds serious.

The morphing, FX, filter routing, and variety of uses of the matrix (especially for the arp and sequencer) def set this apart from some of the other polys.

Good work, Arturia. Was not expecting a touché, either.

Cons:
Doesn’t seem like OSCs can be mod sources in the matrix, eh?

2 Likes

It seems safe to assume the capabilities of this will only grow with Arturia adding/improving features, as they have over time on the MB. I’m not saying this lacks at all right now as is, but that it will get better with time too. Loopop mentioned a few ideas, he’s good at that sort of analysis.

2 Likes

For sure, and I think for a poly it is still quite full featured.

It does have 2>1 FM facilities.
I’m just a weirdo who would want to modulate that morph knob with an arpeggiated oscillator that’s kicking bass.

Seems like the kind of synth Vangelis would absolutely love.

3 Likes

I’m also a weirdo that would keep an expression pedal always plugged in (it has 2 expression and one sustain input), and change every patch to hook that expression pedal to Morph. Then you can have two hands on the keys and still adjust the Morph.

BTW: There is a trick to use expression pedal inputs as substitutes for CV inputs, though they might not run at higher rates. chm_jacques posted earlier about the lack of CV input.

I think that’s one of the better teaser intros I’ve seen in a while. The modeled SP filters they just added to the hydrasynth sound great on poly patches so the real deal here is very enticing.

1 Like

Yeah, although arturias SEM filter design in the microfreak leaves out the most desirable function of a SEM filter by not being continuously state variable.

Functionality wise they seem to knock the poly brute out of the park, but I’m not totally sold on the need for it to be analog VCOs for the types of sounds they seem to be pushing. I suppose it’s only speculation that they could have got the price down much by not using VCOs but one might suppose this synth would be about 1000 dollars cheaper as a Hybrid or a DCO synth.

Vco is perfect . And you can hear it too!
There are other digital sounding poly synths for people.who.like it.

1 Like

No wallwart :grinning:

2 Likes

i dont care if theres a wallwart or not.
i do like an on/off switch on the device but there are small adapters out there for that too.

i mostly care if it sounds good and i can afford it (i i’d like one)
1st world problems…

1 Like
3 Likes

Loopop’s review showcases the raw oscillator tones if you want to hear if the VCOs sound… uhh… VCO enough for you.

Nick has a way of coming up with tones that put whatever synth he’s covering in the best light.