Arturia Polybrute

Looks gorgeous (in my opinion), but I really don’t understand why they did not include their digital oscillator (microfreak) as a third osc.

2 Likes

I think they’ve brought together a lot of different sorts of playable features. This isn’t something to be understood quickly, there is a lot here that will work by blending the various features.

Can someone explain the A B Morph mode for the grid, to me ?

My guess is you use the grid to set Morph “depths” for specific parameters?

1 Like

That would be interesting, I guess this primarily an analog machine. Perhaps they’ve got a SuperFreak on the way too ?

When I saw the first presentation of the MatrixBrute in a video at NAMM, I was excited and pre-ordered one as soon as possible. I don’t feel the same WoW and urge to get the PolyBrute.

From the Arturia presentation I would say that the PB is a great instrument and it’s most selling points would be the touch-plate, the morphing, the ribbon controller, and a real size keyboard for a polysynth. The sound engine is simpler compared to the MB. The MB is still about 2k after years of production. 2.5k for the PB seems to be fair.

When I compare the morph-function of the PB to the 4 macro knobs on the MB, I would guess there is also much “morphing” possible and I think, I prefer those 4 knobs.

Now time will tell, how much such an instrument is received by musicians …

1 Like

There is also the Motion Recorder (# 12 on their feature description graphic). That looks fun and expressive. Was that on the MB too ?

I sort of thought it would make more sense to replace the ladder or (Gods forgive) Steiner-Parker filter with the SEM filter from the Microfreak – I think it’s better suited to a polysynth than either of the others, really. For better or worse, there’s a lot of Matrixbrute DNA here.

2 Likes

Absolutely this :+1:

1 Like

Maybe, still it seems a missed opportunity at this stage…

I guess a SuperFreak with 2 osc and 8 voices, dual analog filter (why not) and a hybrid keyboard with traditional keys and a capacitive layer on top of each keys would be an interesting one!

EDIT: added example of a hybrid keyboard
http://instrumentslab.org/research/touchkeys.html

2 Likes

Not that I recall? But I could have forgotten; never had the MB in hand.

1 Like

Not like this … and I never missed something like this. I love to define the 4 macro knobs on the MB and move my sounds around during performance. I never missed to bake those movements into a patch.

There is one track of automation on the MB, though, and three on the PB.

1 Like

The label in the lit part at the bottom of the XYZ pad says MORPHEE.

ADDED: Arturia seems pretty intent for this to have the “Brute Sound — Raw, Powerful, Organic.” This explains to me their choice of filters and voices and operation.

1 Like

I’m just not sure it’s the wisest decision. I think a lot of these sounds work better in a monosynth than a polysynth, personally. On the other hand, that sound will make the PB stand out more.

3 Likes

It does sound lovely in the demo.

Looking at the image closely I see these four buttons are labeled and have the positions as follows:

• Polyphony — Poly, Unison, Mono
  • Timbrality — Single, Layer, Split
  • Wheel — Matrix, Cutoff, Vibrato, LFO Amp
  • Morphee — Matrix, Arp/Seq, Morph

So does that mean duo-timbrality?

Yes

1 Like

Wow, the sound in the demo was really nice. Why are people complaining about the oscillators and filters when they sound fantastic? The SP filter is awesome and sounds so great, especially in high-pass mode! The brute range of synths are misunderstood and pigeonholed as “harsh sounding” in my opinion.

6 Likes

Loopop:

17 Likes

Want!

nice!