Arturia MicroFreak

I haven’t seen Glen Darcey mentioned at all relative the development of the MicroFreak. He’s always an innovator, and in fact describes himself on his LinkedIn page with, “My job is to come up with the ideas and concepts for the products and the line.” under his Arturia section. I also notice he’s got a new job too, while staying at Arturia.

I’m pretty sure though his finger-prints are on the MicroFreak, and likely ideas for the Freak line of products. I also have a lot of confidence in his ethical compass.

ADDED:

More on Darcey

He’s also working on a new synthesizer brand, for Medeli Electronics, a startup in Hong Kong China. So a synth created by company based in China – we are sure to see a lot more of this happening.

2 Likes

sorry did not see previous posts!

1 Like

it’s a very long thread and it all erupted/settled very quickly :thup:

I’ve pointed readers from the other thread post to here since you saw it there

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to SuperFreak in 2020

4 Likes

What’s the difference between polyphony and paraphony?

1 Like

All voices share a filter.

Ok thanks.

This one.

I’m out of inputs on my interface, so MicroFreak will go right into the inputs of my Digitone.
And this makes me more likely to send MIDI from that freaky SH-101 style + slice/dice sequencer into the Digitone as well.

Wild layers is part of the plan.

3 Likes

Let’s stay on topic, please.

3 Likes

I really like the keyboard. Its got character.

This and the new Minilogue are my two favorite things in NAMM. I’m more interested in getting this one though as I already have the original Minilogue.

What does 4 voice paraphonic mean though? can you play four notes at a time? How is that different from 4 voice polyphony?

I feel it needs a good demo too with effects and such. Wish they’re clear on which modes from plaits they take as I’m really interested in that…

1 Like

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/

Paraphonic

A term used to describe a synthesizer where multiple oscillators can be used to play different notes, but all of those oscillators route through the same signal path (VCF/DCF, VCA/DCA, etc.), as opposed to true polyphony, where each oscillator feeds its own filter, amplifier, and so on.

1 Like

This looks like the sort of synth I was hoping for. The world went analog crazy for a while, so it’s refreshing to have some digital back in our lives. Nothing wrong with that.

I can’t wait to control this with the Digitakt. If I can make my Monologue sound insane with a DT, imagine what this thing is going to sound like.

As for the Mutable Instruments thing; way too many opinions on a subject that people knew nothing about. Now Arturia have cleared it up, I wonder if people going to cancel their cancelled pre-orders?

2 Likes

I suggest we move on with the Mutable Instruments aspect, since it’s settled in the best possible way.

10 Likes

Agreed. Arturia’s initial marketing copy was a bit confusing, but it should now be clear for everybody that this is not the mythical Mutable Instruments keyboard synth some of us were hoping for. It’s Arturia’s take on a modern hybrid monosynth, with more oscillator models for your money thanks to another company’s decision to release their work under an open license.

Let’s look on the bright side; a lot more people now understand how Open Source licensing works and that there was never any issue with Arturia using code originally written for the Plaits module in their product.

I for one hope this starts a trend where more and more synth manufacturers see the value in releasing and re-using source code under an OSS license. As synth buyers and users, this will benefit us greatly by giving us higher quality, more options, and faster innovation.

4 Likes

Omg this. And at this kinda price seeing Arturia didn’t need to foot the bill for the code.

This proves why the principle behind open-source - sharing - works out so well for everybody.

Agreed…

I don’t know if anybody can actually answer this but can the sequencer play a pattern while you play something on top of it without altering the sequence playing. I thought I heard that he was doing that in 1 of the many namm demos. Or was that just wishful hearing?

That’s what I thought when I saw Cuckoo’s video. From watching the videos, I think you can do this.

I wonder why this one doesn’t come as a module, without the stupid keyboard. Same for the mini- monologue family.

2 Likes