Arturia MicroFreak

If I use stock footage for a video I’m making and it’s free to use an I collaborating with the stock footage creator? I think the answer is no, and that’s the issue at hand.

1 Like

Open Source doesnt mean you can put that in your own Machines put a Label on it and sell it as your new hot Shit. I guess there will be some legal a tions to follows, which could bancrupt MI.
Or Emilee swallows the frog and shuts up.

1 Like

Yes in a way, as i see it, but maybe i don’t understand open source licence, actually a see now i do not.

Synth community is fairly small and tight-knit. I think MI could “fight” this solely through forums and social media and synth-heads would know what’s up. Arturia could be the loser here if they don’t quickly and thoroughly address this, apologize, etc. - imho.

Shame because the synth looks great and not the usual analog rehashing. Hope Arturia does the right thing, speaks up, and clarifies they just used some open source tech.

Yes agreed, I wasn’t excusing it, just trying to see how/why they would do this.

I mean, given MI’s good reputation in the synth community no way could I see Arturia doing “a dirty” deliberately because they’d rightly get backlash. They must have thought it would have been something MI would be pleased about, and that it would win favour in the synth community, demonstrating how they “help the little guy” who they respect. Maybe I’m being naive?

1 Like

Can I just give an Amen to that?

I don’t think there’s any “fight” that’s going to go down here guys :joy:

Everyone chill out, maybe some lame marketing going on here regarding the collaboration aspect but no one is getting screwed over. Arturia probably does view this as a collaboration, they are taking this rad open source stuff and building a synth that utilizes it. Like I said, this is nothing but a positive for MI and will bring them more customers and more opportunity to make amazing products.

11 Likes

Since I work as an organist in a church I get these a lot. :smile:

4 Likes

quite a few more vids popping up …

this one mentioned the c word - about to scan through it
more meat than the brief one above by the look of it

2 Likes

I want to assume this.

Anti capitalist left leaning people tend to have more of a problem with companies like Behringer shitting out clones by the thousands purely for $ than dude in a basement making a few hundred clones because they genuinely love the product. But hey hypocrites all of us.

1 Like

The open source stuff is mostly smoke and mirrors here. It’s not an open source dispute and the open source license does not speak to this issue one way or another (Arturia is fully in compliance there, and the MIT license is super permissive). It’s fundamentally a business law / misrepresentation sort of thing. In France, it’s likely legal concepts like “personality rights” and/or “moral rights” might be folded in or even primary theories, but I can’t really speak to those too well. (Just saying this in case anyone’s curiosity is piqued by the legal stuff at play; I’m not your lawyer yall)

OK she is only saying that it wasnt a collab, because she Had no influence at all. Emilie Gillet was not included in any part of this, the “collab” was just Arturia using Plaits under the open source license. Legal, but disappointing. Arturia needs to fire their marketing Guys 'n’girls and get better ones.

5 Likes

I don’t know what’s inside people’s heads or business plans but I have read Uli’s writings on Gearslutz about wanting to make all these unobtainable synths from his youth, and it rings true to me. I think they view these clones a loss-leaders and fun side projects. I think they make their money on mixers and all the mass-market stuff, not synths and drum machines. If they are turning a profit on these very low-priced items, it can’t be a large slice of the overall Behringer profit pie-chart can it? Just speculating though. I fully admit I don’t know shit.

(But, sorry, getting off-topic!)

Putting the politics to one side, that spice n dice touchstrip stuff looks fun.

2 Likes

I guess their former practices of cloning mackie mixers and boss and eh pedals, reverse engineering chips made by smaller companies, and their other well documented business practices make some people question their integrity. I have no idea how profitable these clones are either, but given the scale of their operation I suspect there is still a healthy margin.

I personally don’t have a problem with people wanting to buy them, just that they are not for me, we all have our own ethical compasses, tastes and moral codes, and as I said before I think we are all hypocrites, with convenient justifications for our actions, I’m not trying to take any kind of moral high ground because I’m just as much of a hypocrite myself, and I’d never be so naive or arrogant to think otherwise. :thup:

1 Like

this one looks interesting, both feature and price wise

Well, I’m sure you’re right. I haven’t been following Behringer before this. Just never been on my radar for some reason. Like I say, I don’t know shit. I certainly don’t think of Behringer as some sort of innocent though - more like a jolly pirate or naughty Robinhood, taking from the collectors / ebay gougers and giving to the masses. :grin:

1 Like

more hands on …

really taken with the power of this - especially seq integration

3 Likes

Here’s the license:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

So what Arturia did wrong:

They attributed MI “in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.” and at least AFAIK did not “distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.” But didn’t actually check on the second point.

6 Likes