Arturia keystep pro

Insta buy if in black :rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

4 Likes

Dang they really went the opposite direction in improvements for a pro version than I wanted… if they had made it better action, and actual mod/pitch wheels I would have been pretty interested even with out any sequencer arp updates. After owning the regular one, really liking it at first and slowly becoming bothered with the build of it I gotta say they totally missed the mark for me. 450$ I really expected something more considering the price of the original keystep.

why? … totally different usage. keystep is a simple midi-keyboard for 80-100$. the pro is a complete live-sequenzing-workstation. buy both…but dont sell or return the keystep.

1 Like

It’s real. Saying goodbye to my Keystep.

Dang. This or the Launchpad Pro? The drama!

I know dat feel bro … same here …

BUT , I would go for LPP first

As history told us , first firmwire of Arturia product can be underwhelming

And novation are really good to almost made new product with only firmware update (remember the first circuit ? Yeah , look at it now , that’s something else !)

But yeah … really really close contender … let’s see if there is more videos/demo of them before pulling the trigger

You sayeth like it is. Novation updates are not just a fact, it’s an idea, a concept. And even if they wouldn’t ever throw in what I’d be looking for, whatever they do add in firmware updates, will always be awesome. They’re so in touch with their user base, it pisses me off :slight_smile:

But man, have I used my Keystep plenty over the years. Yes, I have.

I am in the boat for a MIDI Keyboard currently and waited for NAMM before I buy something, but I was highly focused on the Keystep. At first I was quite happy, that I waited, when I saw the Keystep Pro news, but if I think about it: I currently work with a DT/DN Combo and some Sound generators around. That is, ignoring the core features of the devices, 12 Sequences to Midi Devices. Sure, there might be functionalities in the KSP that the Digi-Devices might not provide, but I think I will buy the old one. I do not plan to dive into Modular, because as much as I understand the fun playing with it, I have yet to see a video about a modular where I like the outcome :stuck_out_tongue: So I don’t need all the CV stuff.
As sequencing is not my main focus for the Keystep, it seems, that I can just save the extra money for the pro.

I hear you. The Keystep is great as is also, can’t go wrong.

For me, I play mainly live and mainly improvised, so being able to lay down and sequence multiple chord progressions or melody lines on the fly that are not limited to a resolution of 1/16th (assuming no scaling on the Elektron devices) or 4 notes per step is really nice.

In other words, despite having three Elektron boxes and an MPC Live, each with their oen powerful sequencer, I still use the arpeggiator, sequence playback function and hold function on the original Keystep a lot as it is so immediate.

So I will def pick one of these up, even though the price point is just a little higher than I would have like it to be. :slight_smile:

I thought about that too (not that I think, that I will ever play live with my noodleing around) but at the same time, Novation launched the LPP mk3, and from knowing the Circuit quite well, it looks for me, as if its way better suited for On-The-Fly Sequencing and Performing, than a “hidden” Sequencer inside the Keystep.

1 Like

I’m pondering this and the LP3 too. What I’m missing in the LP3 is individual track length per drum, for the drum track. The Keystep has that. I do a lot of polyrythm, so I might miss that on the LP. Even though it can do that per track, it’s still just four tracks then, with the drum track locked to one time signature or step count.

Or that’s my assumption, until an early Launchpad Pro MK3 adopter tells me I’m wrong. Which I’d love to be, by the way :slight_smile:

I’d lean more towards Keystep Pro, because I’m more comfortable finding notes on a keyboard, the 64-step max. pattern length vs. the Launchpad’s 32, and pattern chaining. Also, I’m not a heavy user of Ableton Live, so the Live integration is not a factor for me.

Key step Pro Video

1 Like

Whoa. Anyone know what slim keys seek like compared to standard keys?

I’ve had a Keystep for some time and I’m a keyboard player. They’re pretty good for the purpose. You won’t go Mozart on them, but they’re way better than Korg’s micro keys or Novation’s mini-nova travesty keyboard.

For ref, the best mini keys I’ve played are the Yamaha Reface ones. They’re just great. After those, I’d say the Keystep is second. But a distant second.

2 Likes

The only other minikeys I had was NI Kontrol M32, I kept the keystep because of the midi an cv outs. The M32 is pretty cool though if you are into NI stuff

1 Like

The Loopop Review … finally!

6 Likes

With a module on my list: Squid Salmple!

Update 4 minutes in… want, wait for the black version

1 Like

Pdf manual online

2 Likes