Arturia - AstroLab

Yeah that’s true. I think RMR is mainly focusing on the AstroLab hardware, which offers very limited control (though I think his explanation provides context for why the control is so minimal, and it makes sense to me).

2 Likes

Arturia certainly can expand that Astrolab line, adding and subtracting UI controls as they choose, we’ve already ticked a few here in this thread.

88 keys, poly-aftertouch, stand alone box, lots of controls on the lid, mini keys version, etc.

This product should carry Arturia out many years with versions and variations.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of arturia, and feel they usually push the boundaries with their gear, but this ain’t it. Nobody is buying this for that much when they could spend the same money and get something of better value.

4 Likes

Duke! :grinning:

3 Likes

It might have been better if that blank space was consolidated like on the Access Virus keyboard version. As someone working with minimal gear real-estate, I try to fit gear to fit wherever I can- but the blank space being between the display and the modwheels means im severely limited by what gear i can double up(uh uh) with

3 Likes

:rocket:

1 Like

I bet an iPad Mini, Analog Heat+FX or OTO Bam would fit nice :+1:

This is a great idea for gigging or touring musicians that would normally bring a giant Korg, Roland or Nord out for live… those guys/gals would easily pay $3K+ for one keyboard.

I do imagine the price will drop closer to $1K in a year or two.

3 Likes

I guess we will see how many people, want to take their Arturia ‘VSTS’ on the road live- there have been lots of other goes at this (remember Muse?) and it never seemed to really take off…For the same money there are a lot of good road-tested workstation keyboards from well know brands with lots of sounds, knobs, sequencers, samplers etc. for example YAMAHA MODX8+, 88 key hammer action, large touch screen, 128 note poly, 2200 pre-sets and you can program sounds without needing to go back to a computer. Cheaper than Astrolab…

1 Like

I just can’t help thinking that the only thing worse than a dead flat display is an awkwardly elevated protruding dead flat display.

3 Likes

So many synth makers turn the blank space into a feature.

Hydrasynth Deluxe even gives you a shelf to make it larger. The Taiga Keys, builds in Eurorack space. Others like the Therevox ET-5 puts plug connectors and power for pedals.

So maybe that blank spot on the Astrolab was reserved for this ???

2 Likes

The KeyLab 88 has a laptop shelf that extends the empty panel section, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the 88 key version of this adds that.

I am interested to see if they stick with the current weighted action for the 88, which I found to be slow, heavy, and fatiguing. The semi-weighted keys here on the 61 sound pretty light in touch from Loopop’s review.

2 Likes

The big question… is @Astrolab going to get one? :thinking:

11 Likes

Does @Astrolab get a commission ?

Will he sue ?

5 Likes

That display is really really cool! For like 2 minutes.

2 Likes

Really though? For a bi-timbral keyboard?
I might be wrong, but this wouldn’t get me away from the flexibility of a controller and instant access to a full bank of sounds.
I think for the role you describe, the Akai MPC Key 61 is a way better option.

Part of my personal disappointment with this release is that I’d love a hardware synth version of Pigments in the PolyBrute-style guise… something to challenge the Iridium… and I guess this means that won’t happen.

2 Likes

I don’t understand PW/MW placements like these in the modern day. Circular display also looks like it goes for form over function - probably where some of the extra weight on the price tag goes as well.

As far as extra controls, there is a USB port on the back that an extra controller will plug in to. We’ll see what all can be controlled with that.

1 Like

If this leads to a standalone desktop unit for getting nitty gritty with the sound design of the V-Collection, then im all for it

3 Likes

We can all get back to the DT speculation thread, nothing to see here. :rofl:

10 Likes

Lots of options for effects beside any of that in the engine, and these can be applied to either or both of the engines in a split. Will reserve judgement as to their quality, but some sound good already.