Arturia - AstroLab

Why are people releasing non poly aftertouch keyboards still? Especially big pricey ones like this. Poly should be the standard.

Because mono aftertouch keybeds are significantly cheaper and faster to procure from manufacturers. And also while poly aftertouch is certainly cool, it’s not exactly the most mandatory feature ever made on any keyboard.
Personally I’d rather see more assignable pedal inputs.

2 Likes

i would’ve been mildly tempted if the surface of this thing was covered with controls and not more than half of it blank …

7 Likes

This is at least part of the way there to that -

2 Likes

Strikes me that this fits for those that both want to sound design and perform. You get all the opportunity to design your presets, as long as you can scope your controls down.

I wonder what sort of control you have of all these different engines via external MIDI controls ? Maybe you can just add extra controls too.

The price is $1999 US and 1599 EUR, terrible
https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/astrolab-61/overview

2 Likes

…meh

3 Likes

Be aware of MSRP and street price. I haven’t found a US street price listing yet.

Can I fit both my ashtray and coffee cup on there?

10 Likes

You’re right, Sweetwater has it for $1599 US

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the NOIR version. I hope it comes out soon.

I don’t know, with a name like Astrolab, it just kind of feels like they are exploiting me and my fellow space travelers.

6 Likes

That is an amazing price, in my opinion.

Of course this is a bit of razor and razor blades. Arturia will sell a lot of software for this for everyone doing there own sound design, or an infinite number of very cool preset packages that they make specifically for Astrolab.

They need to put Arturia spark in a hardware box, still love that vst and controller.

The software inside this system must be quite extensive.

When they rev a part, let’s say Pigments will you have to rev Astrolab too ?

I guess that depends what level those rev changes happen at. If the core stays the same then no.

It’s going back to the Origin concept (hardware plug-in player) but substituting the onboard controls for limited control & the stage keys. I never got the impression that the Origin was very successful but their software has come a long way since then. If I was a touring musician this thing would make a ton of sense.

1 Like

I normally like Arturia stuff but I do not get this one at all- I cant see anyone in a studio wanting one (much more powerful to have a computer and V Collection) so I guess its just aimed at people who play Arturia ‘pre-sets’ live- but does someone who plays live want ‘only’ Arturia sounds (and a tiny display with fiddly rotary wheel for section?) No MPE, no Midi 2. and not very ergonomic (pitch/mod position, rotary sector etc). Personally I don’t like the way it looks either, so fair top say I am not tempted at all (phew!).

1 Like

Yeah, and gives you tremendous range in sound design for those presets too.

1 Like

I like RMR’s take on this one — he echoes the idea that the AstroLab clearly isn’t aimed at synth noodlers who like to go deep on sound design, but it might be perfect for certain types of performers who rely on these kinds of sounds (e.g. cover bands, worship bands, etc.).

Those types of people are underrepresented in synth forums like this, but they represent a decent chunk of synth sales every year, so companies like Arturia might have them in mind.

(Editing to add — the above notes are my hastily written summary of RMR’s thoughts, so you might be better served hearing directly from him. Give that space fox a click, eh?)

12 Likes

Maybe it’s just the way you express this, but i don’t agree. You can sound design all you want, you just decide what your preset is that you put onto Astrolab to perform with.

3 Likes

Exactly my initial thought on this, too. It’s the “stage piano” concept, but for newer generations that grew up on synthpop, hip-hop, etc.

Cover bands will freakin’ love it! I mean, you can just look up the presets by artist name. This is for people who just look up a tune in the fake book and go.

5 Likes