Arturia - AstroLab

As another Keylab owner who’s all-in on Arturia, this is my take, too. This would be a great way for a gigging keyboardist to get into synths, but if you do any sound design at all, laptop + Keylab is a better proposition.

4 Likes

It seems like Astrolab 88 and Astrolab mini are on the way - arturia Device Database

And one other BIG thing.

4 Likes

This thing looks awesome IMO. Name me another midi keyboard controller that has a built in audio interface.

This is why I went for the Keylab 49 over the 61.

It does look slightly like it has a Nest thermostat glued to it.

It’s certainly a tempting product for people well-versed in the V Collection world. The Keylab has pretty good integration as it is, but isn’t a standalone product. I can see this competing with mid-level workstation keyboards (like a ModX) now that they have the augmented strings/voices/piano if it can hold up to gigs.

4 Likes

Is anyone else at the point where seeing those guys smiling faces on product release day is an instant turn off??

35 Likes

Belated April 1 release

3 Likes

I have only very superficial and cosmetic comments as I cannot comment on the sound. I am not a big fan of screens that stick out of their bases (like the current craziness about car screens coming out of your dashboard). I also don’t like high end or expensive (subjective of course) products that look too “simple”. Like if I spend $2k on a synth I want knobs everywhere! Lol.

Anyway I know there are people who like more slick looking things.

3 Likes

If we can just get a guy giving it a thumbs-up and somebody making a Mr. Beast face at it I’ll have a YouTuber bingo

1 Like

I like the Arturia keybed, mine is a little noisy but the full sized keys would be nice.

2 Likes

Looks fun, but as far as stage keyboards go I don’t think is particularly noteworthy. Better options from all other players in that particular space, in my opinion.

If it were 49 keys with lots of knobs I would have been all over it but luckily I don’t have a need for this :blush: looks cool though

3 Likes

Please make a keyboard-less desktop module version. <3

2 Likes

yup, with more knobs and a bigger screen. maybe exactly the same box size as an Octatrack and with input FX processing!

1 Like

Was thinking the same thing. Synth does seem interesting though if used in conjunction with V collection to design own patches.

Do not click on these thumbnails. Their faces are clickbait.

2 Likes

Watched the Loopop video and this is all a bit disappointing but kinda cool if you’re in the ecosystem and preset only gigging.

• As this is basically a computer in a box with a minimal interface it makes me sad that we don’t have one of these outside of an ecosystem (MPC, Arturia, Native Instruments). A little box that loads all VSTs or another standard as open as the web and uses MIDI 2 to map the controllers. I’d love that so much and surely it should be buildable. Maybe it already exists.
  • Why are people releasing non poly aftertouch keyboards still? Especially big pricey ones like this. Poly should be the standard.
  • That little circular rotatable screen is kinda cute and reminds me of my old LG flip phone.
  • The mod wheels are in a strange place.

Was genuinely excited that they might be launching a new keystep type thing with poly aftertouch and MIDI 2 but alas not.

The web dev in me is also entertained by their website crashing:

2 Likes

Would have been good given this is bi-timbral, and playable with a split.

1 Like

A guilty pleasure of mine - seeing companies solve problems that weren’t really problems to begin with. :expressionless:

Playing live with a MacBook and a Keylab 61 isn’t the hell on earth someone seems to think it is.

I’m sure it’s going to appeal to some people though…

2 Likes

This feels like a DX7 of this decade.

The producer loads it up in the studio with the needed presets,
and the giging keybordist is ready to go, no technical issues or laptops or anyting.

2 Likes

What a great product. That you can save your presets to such a diverse set of synth engines, all the way out to Pigments, and get access to two at once, with a stage playable UI, and not carry anything else along is great.

The list again :
Virtual Analog, Samples, Wavetable, FM, Granular, Physical modelling, Vector Synthesis, Harmonic, Phase distortion, Vocoder .

7 Likes