Arranger trinity sync issue (unwanted pattern offsets)

I’ll start with some details: OT master (prg ch, transport, clock) to Rytm and AKeys slaves.

I have a persistent issue while using OT’s arranger to drive this trinity where, after pressing stop during any pattern, pressing play again offsets the page being played back by the Rytm and AK. It’s almost as if ‘stop’ on the OT is registering as a ‘pause’ on the other two machines. Pressing stop twice isn’t an option as this navigates back to the start of the arrangement.

This is so reliable an issue that now any time I press stop, I need to select one pattern up or down from the one I’m working on, then reselect the one I’m working on, in order to get all the machines back on the same page (page 1) before pressing play again. It’s something I’d like to get past.

Possibly related, a less frequent issue occurs during pattern switches when either Rytm or AK begin the new pattern on the wrong page, or only switch patterns after the OT has been on the new pattern for 1-3 pages.

Scale settings per pattern are the same on all machines and there are no pattern offsets or odd lengths set in the arranger.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hmm, it looks like there are a couple of other clock related threads going on that moment that are head scratchers to say the least.

Check all your pattern length settings.
Don’t use infinite pattern length.

2 Likes

turn off prg ch send. while in arranger mode this is not necessary. worked for me…

1 Like

@konputa indeed…

@JuanSOLO check and check. Pattern lengths match. Normal scale setup mode, so no infinite master length setting available. No Pattern loops set in the arranger, just lots of repeats, if that matters… Good thoughts but I’m not there yet…

Really?? You mean on the OT? How is that possible while still syncing the other two machines?
…will try here…

nope that didn’t work. no pattern change sync.

Unless that is what you’re suggesting as a solution?

Doing some trials here. Some very odd repeatable behaviours:

Arranger line 0 (Pattern 1): Always starts in sync.
Arranger line 2 (Pattern 3): Starts in sync. If stop is pressed, play restarts from page 2 (on Rytm and AK)
Arranger line 4 (Pattern 5): Starts in sync. If stop is pressed, play restarts from page 3 (on Rytm and AK)
Arranger line 6 (Pattern 9): Starts in sync. If stop is pressed, play restarts from page 4 (on Rytm and AK)
Arranger line 8 (Pattern 11): Starts in sync. If stop is pressed, play restarts from page 2 (on Rytm and AK)
Arranger line 9 (Pattern 12): Starts in sync. If stop is pressed, play restarts from page 2 (on Rytm and AK)
etc…

It doesn’t seem to matter when stop is pressed.

did you try to set for 2 machine?
Octatrack + one of the slave

Are your midi cables as such,
OT out > AR in - AR Thru > A4 in

Yes. Also A4 out to OT in. Aaaand OT thru to parva thru to slim phatty thru to vocoder. It’s a lot. Haha
Everything works though! I swear! Everything but this…

I have not tried. But even if two can work i need all three… what could the test prove?

Interesting! I have a similar midi-issue but only when the OT is the last slave in the chain
AR > A4 > OT

tried it on thru and out, always with one-bar-pattern-change-offset (OBPCO)

but this has nothing to do with Analogic’s problem

Hey I’ll take all the wild guesses I can get. What’s OPBCO?

I’ll put this out there, a thru box is preferable if you’re looking at more than a couple generations of daisy chaining thru actual instruments. That said, I’d still expect two instruments to remain well behaved and in sync. In my experience it falls apart at 3 and 4 devices, and it degrades rapidly from there.

Ok so I tried this out of curiosity and found basically the same issue, except the page starts weren’t all exactly the same as before. The fact that there was any change at all is interesting, but still experiencing the issue with just OT and Rytm.

This is the advice I’m dreading. I really wanted to avoid spending more money and rack space, cables too… ugh.

If this is actually the problem and a thru box is the only way, then sure. But the elektrons are the earliest boxes in the chain, everything else down the chain is working fine, and the issue presented with only two boxes as well (noted above)…

Other ideas?

So the good news is that it isn’t a terribly costly solution, but it is still money so I can appreciate that you’re not looking to spend more.

it is:

> one-bar-pattern-change-offset

:sunglasses:

1 Like

This sounds like some kind of official acronym or something. Is this like a well known issue? What about the 2 and 3 bpcos? Am i late to the bpco party??