Arranger trinity sync issue (unwanted pattern offsets)

How obout Rytm as a master but try with AK to see if its work and later can add OT
If every things going well may be you can get an idea how to rearrange the master and slave

You’re sure you aren’t getting MIDI feedback? Try disconnecting the cable from the OT MIDI in and see if that helps.

1 Like

Done. Just OT to AR to AK and the problem persists.

Again which patterns get OBPCOs and which get 2 or 3 BPCOs changed a bit. Not sure why. The newer PCOs seemed to stick when I plugged the rest of the midi chain back in.

With this being the case I’m reluctant to believe the fault is a result of the long thru chain.

Sorry, but thru boxes seem like such a waste of money when you can buy a midi router at half the price.
AND, it’s not going to solve the issue here.

@Analogic hate to kick a dead horse, but are you sure the pattern length settings are correct for each pattern?

Yep I’m sure. I almost only use 4/4, 64 step patterns, all in normal scale, so it’s pretty easy to check.

Besides, if I had this kind of mismatch, it would present at the end of a pattern as it switches to a new one, no? I mean, this has been happening to me as well, but it’s a much more time consuming fault to test. The fault I’m exposing with these tests occurs as the patterns initiate (after pressing stop), not as they cycle… if that makes sense.

I can maybe get into testing end-of pattern-offsets after fixing the easier-to-test issue, if fixing one doesn’t fix the other.

So I guess we’re talking about unwanted, unprogrammed pattern change offsets AND pattern start offsets. Of the one, 2, or 3 bar variety.

Come on folks, I know you’ve dealt with these! How do ya fix em?

i have this on my last setup OT > A4

but just for the very first time when i fired up the OT and then the A4

after double-stop on my OT and play, the pattern started well on my A4 as expected

this is very strange… i also negotiated midispeed 1x and not 10x as it could be handled in the OT’s midi-section

this is very strange… i also negotiated midispeed 1x and not 10x as it could be handled in the OT’s midi-section

Can you clarify this last part? Do you mean I should change midi speed settings in one or all of the units? I’ll check those right now…

I’ve never used the arranger, song mode, or even tried to send a program change!
But I do know that the arranger sends song position pointer and the analogs can receive it…
I hope you get it working as you like but as an alternative method you may be able to set up songs that progress the same way as the arranger, and maybe the song position pointer would start them from the same row…

Other things that come to mind are the patten mode settings on the analogs, direct start/direct jump/sequential, and the chng parameter if using advanced scale…
Might be able to work something out with midi prog change instead of regular?

Just ideas and areas to check, sorry no verified solutions…

Yeah I’m fairly comfortable with the whole the sync’d program changes and Arranger setup now I think. It seems like just these little glitches I’m trying to eliminate now.

I think there might be something to what @noisebuddy is saying about midi speed though. My negotiate is at an 8, for whatever reason. Haven’t even checked the other boxes yet. Anyone know how they should be set? Sorry if that’s a super dumb question.

I gave up on song pointer position a while back, but maybe it’s doing something of its own to offset patterns behind my back? That is a decent explanation actually… but how to check it… I can’t remember if/how control over spp is possible…

Re: midi speed, I can’t get turbo going on the Rytm, although AK and OT switch simultaneously from either machine. Speed change tests did not change the offset behaviour.

Re: midi spp, this is sent with transport information. Transport receive is OFF on the OT, so it shouldn’t be receiving any confusing messages. Song pointer position in AR and AK should mirror what they receive from OT transport messages, no? Also, I don’t think midi SPP drills down to the ‘page’ (or bar) level in its relaying of pointer position, does it?

What I was trying to say is that maybe actual song mode on the analogs might follow the spp from the arranger, if you set up the "songs"to progress the same way the arranger…
Spp has 16th note resolution…

Interesting about the resolution… my guess is it’s actually a bug in how the arranger delivers SPP to the analogs. At this point I should probably just cut my losses and forget about diagnosing the pattern start offsets, as they’re really more of a workflow annoyance than a performance issue…

…Pattern CHANGE offsets are a more serious issue, as they occur while the sequencer is running and can cause a train wreck. I guess I’ll start the longer process of replicating those.

I once tried matching up the analog song modes and the arranger. It seemed like a lost cause. Lots of falling out of sync and I gave up on it. I thought I could sidestep the whole issue by just working through the arranger alone and letting program change do its work. I hope I don’t need to backtrack on that one…!

So it sounds like you have a work around but not really a solution for the issue, is that correct?

More just ignoring the less critical problem I suppose. I guess I shouldn’t need to press stop anyway, right? :wink:

I’ll start taking a more diligent approach with recording pattern change offsets, but I’m not sure how long it will take to identity patterns. As motivation, I can’t think of much else that could be as damaging to an arranger-coordinated live set.

I’m surprised that I kinda seem like a lone voice in the wilderness on this one. I guess either the arranger is not so popular for live set use or there is actually something unique to my setup that causes these unwanted offsets.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems like we would hear about this more. I’m curious as well if this is specific to your setup or happens on all machines. I’ve had my boxes for three years and haven’t tried this, so maybe many others as well just haven’t tried. It’d be nice to know if I decided to arrange things that the rest would follow correctly…

Elektronauts, who’s got a trinity that syncs and reliably follows the arranger correctly?

1 Like

5 years later… did you nail it down?? Im having the same issue with OT mk1 and AR mk1. Ot is master and this issue have been driving me crazy!
I’m 2 days from a premiere with a totally arranger organised live set and really hope to fix this. Im stopping the sequencer twice during the set for dramaturgical reasons, now my workaround is to pres stop on the rytm also when i stop ot, but it takes time and throws me off… and it just seem so strange so i thought there must be a more elegant solution… thanks in advance!

What’s the issue?

I’m not sure I ever nailed this one down but I rely a lot less on the arranger these days, with per pattern bpm now implemented in scale settings. I did notice on one pattern that I had its length set incorrectly in the arranger, which was causing offsets to occur while moving from this pattern to another with the sequencer running.

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing.
If my pattern scale is set correctly the arranger works exactly as I expect it too.
Never had any buggy issues and I use it a lot in a variety of ways

1 Like