Arpeggiator Tutorial

Example (1 bar OT midi track + random arp)
OT improvises better than me!

Random drums (lfo on arp speed)

13 Likes

sounds great, love the table stuff. are you using midi loopback for this, or just triggering external gear?

1 Like

No Midi loopback, Micromonsta then MPC500.

What is it?

Understanding theory is one thing but being able to make good music is an altogether difference.
:heart: the way your tracks back up your chat
:heart: your OT music.

1 Like

Love your chat too haha

sorry, TABLA!

Indian kit I had in a MPC pack. Canā€™t tell wich one precisely. I really enjoyed OTā€™s arp with MPC on this. Random Lfos on arp speed, note, lenth, velocity, TRC = improvising drummer (better than me at least). I didnā€™t test further, but OTā€™s arp + TRC is the best I could use to make random drums.

I sampled a table today as percussion! :pl:

A bit of topic, but sounds below could be controlled by OTā€™s arp.
I had tablas, temporary exchange with an accordion, I prefer OT vs MPC and keed the accordion! :content:
Tablas are not easy to play and record!
I still have a Wavedrum I moded for audio in (OT of course, crossfader + Wavedrum pressure as playing tools. Very sensitive / reactive :content:).
Wavedrum out only, sounds excited by OT with Amen Break slices (mixed).

4 Likes

Iā€™m gonna use this on the Monomachine Drummachine machine. Thank you

1 Like

I guess the MnM Drum machine can be controlled by notes?
Velocity Mod?
I saw a 650ā‚¬ MnM MKII yesterday. :neutral_face:
Digitone Multimap first!

Yeah, thatā€™s how it works really. Kinda my favorite part of the MnM. it has these drum kits layed across the the keys, kinda like one kit repeating through the scales. Using the OT arp to trigger it, just makes such funky shit. Of course, after cranking out the filters on the MnM ad doing some lfoā€™sā€¦Itā€™s pretty crazy.

1 Like

Can you record that midi loop back? With the intention of doing that in studio when building live sets, cause donā€™t have enough midi ports if youā€™re using octa as the main for a few other pieces of gear.

Or do you think itā€™s better to use my anlg4 to send and record arp midi onto octa.

Or best to send/record arp midi from ableton to octa? But this way doesnā€™t record reliably in sync.

Thanks in advance

Or having a MIDI hub? Something I could have both in studio and during live setsā€¦?

You mean control audio tracks with midi tracks, using midi loopback and record it in live recording?
Doable. Safer if you play only audio tracks midi channels, not other channels to control external synths at the same timeā€¦doable with filtering (midi processors, Midihub).

A4ā€™s arp isnā€™t send via midiā€¦

I meant recording the midi notes, but I am trying to figure out how to do it with my midi hub.

Iā€™m aware you can send a midi cable out of the midi out and directly back in to the midi in.

But, for a live set situation, I have my midi out of the octa going into a motu micro express midi hub, then out of the hub to a few other pieces of hardware.

Is it still possible to run the midi information through my hub and back to the octa so I can use the arp on internal samples? Or does it have to be direct.

I havenā€™t been able to get it working yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, if your midi hub doesnā€™t filter some midi data, or route midi channels differently, it should behave as a simple cable.

1 Like

Do I need any specific midi settings? Not even working for me when I am using a cable directly out of the midi out and back in the octa midi in. Fak.

1 Like

Yes. You will need to set a MIDI channel number on your MIDI sequencer track. The channel number should correspond to that of the audio track that you are targeting.

1 Like

I seem to have got it somewhat figured out, but something really strange is happening. When I edit some of the arp perameters, on the track, it jumps off that track and then automatically runs through track 1-8, and then stops at 8. And when I go back to select track 1 again, just repeats. Tried turning it off and on again, but didnā€™t help. What is happpeninggg

Active track up is midi note 68 (G#4).
Are you controlling track selection from a midi track?

1 Like