Are there any other noteworthy synth forums?

Yeah, the beginner feedback loop of reddit is frustrating… they just are unable to properly cultivate a community and instead just get a fresh batch of people every 6 months repeating poor and false advice to each other and instead of the community growing and evolving users instead move on to better spaces leaving room for a fresh batch of beginners. I think it went through a few golden moments a long time ago when it was much more useful, pre influencer days. Nothing against beginners we all start somewhere but the amount of “expert” advice given by them on reddit is just frustrating to see and has a bit of an idiocracy effect. The modular subreddit is much smaller and actually pretty good but I kind of feel like I don’t have enough modular gear to take part.

2 Likes

Yeah I found it within minutes of posting. A little more active than the Moog Music forums but not much.

Also found the MC-707 Subreddit which seems more civilized than average for Reddit.

I did not post either link because I felt they might be too specialized for what the OP is looking for. The sub mentions a FB group but I’ve no interest in that, and I doubt anyone here would be either.

2 Likes

If I may add a word about flags: moderators cannot read everything, so there’s a need to involve the community in the regulation of the posts.
Flagging is only signaling.
Not perfect, but a good tool nonetheless, a collaboration between the community and the moderation team to make the place ok. I do believe it works, for the most part.

People that get flagged are people that fail to keep a discussion on the rails, or to respect others (or even the whole community), as judged by the community and the moderators.
Those who feel often flagged should have a read at the guidelines, the code of conduct moderators judge flags against.

8 Likes

Yah, suspected you might’ve found it already but figured I’d throw it out there just in case. Pretty sure I looked for 707 topics a while back and it was mostly crickets.

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll find much change there, lol, other than ongoing feature request threads for the 707 and 101. The subreddit looks more active.

Elektronauts is way more active for sure on Roland stuff.

3 Likes

In answer to the OP, no. I dont think there are.

The old electribe forum used to be very useful, i dont think it exists anymore.

I started using this forum not long after I bought the octatrack. Huge vaults of valuable information here. Its nice to be able to help people out, answering their questions, pointing in the right direction.

Also, the current sounds thread has become one of the hidden jems of the internet. Absolutley brilliant.

Id say this forum is very non judgmental, very useful, and if you frequent it and learn peoples sense of humour, bloody hilarious.

MW- no thanks.
GS- no thanks.

7 Likes

I wish. I wish.

Less comments about flags please…

6 Likes

What about discord? Do you know of any servers worth checking out on there?

Isn’t this for gamers? I find that whole culture so off putting that I will never set foot in discord.

Yea could be! I recently made an account to join some server about lofi hiphop stuff but it seems to be filled with teenagers just saying good morning to each other every day and that’s it. Really weird place.

That’s not bad ! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

i judge a forum on its quality of memes and inside jokes, not on its useful advice

8 Likes

Seriously–I wish I could get my teenager to say hi to me every morning!

10 Likes

Downright. Install Discord at home.

1 Like

There’s a server called Synthesizers, yo on discord: https://discord.gg/u4PguGj

It’s one of the most mature servers I’ve been to. Teenagers and adults say good morning to each other there, too =P

7 Likes

So true. And it’s such a crucial part: everyone has been a noob in something once, and feel super stupid for asking things. Even maybe sometimes asking dumb things. But that’s the phase where you need the most help.

Forums that are welcoming to new people, have patient members. Which creates a positive upward cycle for people to stay and pass it on. (And maybe attract / ditch certain types of people.)

11 Likes

I joined KVR yesterday because it’s the official forum for Bitwig. But honestly, the UI is so fucking terrible. It took me so long to search for something that I won’t be going back. So, I’ll stick to Reddit for the occasional Bitwig question, lurking on Lines for the discussions and, ofc, being on here 24/7. This is by far the best forum available, and our Current Sounds is my favourite thread of all time.

(Oh and I’ve read loads of the Autechre threads on WATMM, but never felt like I wanted to sign up)

5 Likes

I read hundreds of Aphex, Ae and BOC threads there.
Tried to sign up several times, but never received the confirmation mail. I‘m afraid I‘m paying there without being able to post :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’ve read the thread on WATMM “ask Autechre anything” probably several times. :slight_smile:

6 Likes