AR Reference, Shortcuts and Guide

In the absence of extensive tutorial material from Elektron, this forum has been very helpful for me learning the AR. I therefore thought that my first post is a contribution, rather than a question. I uploaded in the file section a pdf file for Download and with the following content:

• A graphical summary showing the relationship between AR concepts.

• A sheet to take notes for performance macros (e.g. learning from presets or packs)

• A sheet for taking notes about scene macros.

• A sheet to take notes of patterns and parameter locks.

• A sheet to design mute patterns in songs.

• A list of shortcuts ordered in a “How to…:” format.

• Notes on sample chain creation and connecting the AR to other machines.

I hope that others find this useful in their exploration or use of the Elektron AR. (The pages are designed for printing on A4 paper).

A big Thank You to those experts in this forum who are prepared to answer (sometimes repeatedly) questions from beginners, helping me/us to get into these wonderful machines faster.

Best
Olaf

PS: I use Evernote for all kinds of note taking and collect lists of videos, material from this forum etc for reference. Regarding the note taking about settings (e.g. parameter locks and settings etc) I use my smartphone to take pics of the AR screen, which are automatically converted and added to an Evernote note for later reference … no need to write things down and a fast way to keep track of settings, ideas, and tricks.

PPS: Unfortunatly, it is not possible to update files in the forum, therefore check this link for the latest and updated version: [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Rytm%20Reference.pdf](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Rytm Reference.pdf)

3 Likes

Thank you Olaf. Nice work. :slight_smile:

That’s Great! !!! :slight_smile:

Big Thanks Olaf

I like your geek-factor-infinity style :wink:
however, when i’ve started these documents i’ve adopted the logical approach of learning the intended key combos rather than the primary label
e.g.
Function + Kit (FX)
aot Functiuon + FX
or
Track + Copy (Rec)

Save + Sound (Mute)
aot Yes + Sound (which other folks sometimes adopt)
anyway, that’s just my personal tuppence worth, but good goin’ seeing it through :+1: good stuff

i skimmed it, didn’t see if you had on the fly pattern copy in there but that is worth adding Copy pattern without leaving active pattern (if not incorporated already)

I added the missing pattern copy command, found two more and corrected a few typos. I also added notes on connecting the AR+A4+OT. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to update files in the Files section of the forum. The link to the Dropbox folder does however contain the latest version: [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Rytm%20Reference.pdf](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Rytm Reference.pdf)

This is really something that should come in the box with Rytm.

Thank you, Olaf

Downloaded and had a quick flick throw, looks great :+1:

And as above, something like this should come with the Rytm…

Edit: Might have to look into Evernote as I’ve got a bunch of documentation to write for the Octatrack / OctaEdit, and Visio’s fine, but maybe Evernote will be better.

Wow! much obliged sir, good work :+1:

Cheers

So far it works quite well for me, including my training with Ableton where I also kept all notes in Evernote. The good thing is that one has all notes on the computer, and synchronized with the smartphone and ipad and can look things up when being on the move or away from the laptop. It is also possible to share notes. I could for example share and co-edit the notes I produced here. I don’t have an Elektron buddy for this but the functionality is there. (Maybe something one could try here). The integration of the camera is great for snapshots of the Elektron displays. In the auto-mode it recognizes the screen and turns it automatically into a nice image with no further editing. Furthermore, what I very frequently use is Evernote’s Skitch tool for screen shots. It capture a selection of the screen, allows for super easy marking and note taking in the screen shot and again, integrates seamless with the Evernote notes. It is not all perfect because with many notes, things can get messy and I have not made a comparison to Microsoft OneNote, so maybe there are even better solutions. In my case the money spent on Evernote has been worthwhile, because of the quick way to collect information. (I collect also PDF files, manuals, Internet links, screen shots etc)

This is Holy Work!!

Eitan

cant find anything with the provided links (old I think) can you please re-up or pm me the pdf you created? just got the rytm and im trying to learn all I can. Thanks

@Olaf_Wolkenhauer is temporarily hosting some of his files on his personal webpage: https://www.sbi.uni-rostock.de/team/single/prof-olaf-wolkenhauer/

2 Likes

I upload to another site the file that I had

link renoved

this one have the shortcut list

Hi. I would prefer you do not host files elsewhere as this makes it more difficult to keep track of versions.

I am working on a new version using Adobe InDesign. At this point the content has not changed and I am struggling with InDesign. Content-wise, you can find the latest version of the main document (including links to other sheets) here:

ElektronMusicProductionTips.pdf (large file)

Let me know if there is a problem with that version. I am sorry that it is taking so long with the new version. There are lots of ideas to add and improve the material but I have “wasted” a lot of time getting to grips with InDesign.

Best, Olaf

1 Like

ok now it is no longer online
and a big thank for your work

1 Like

Dakrun. It is online! I provided a link above. All documents I have created are still available. As soon as I have a new version, I will create a new thread on this but in the meantime, I continue to provide all files. Let me know if anything is missing and I post the link here. The following link should however cater for most needs: Elektron/ElektronMusicProductionTips.pdf

1 Like

it’s removed on site but link still working so i edit link

With the change of the forum software it may not be anymore on the Elektron site but with problems in the file section of the previous forum, I hosted it on Dropbox for some time. Then Dropbox blocked the link due to too much traffic, which is why I then hosted the documents on my University Server. The link to the New Blood File can be found HERE. If the Dropbox link makes problems, the e-Book can also be found HERE.

3 Likes

Nauts,

Does anyone know where I can get the guide done by Olaf in this post?

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ar-reference-shortcuts-and-guide/13609

All the links in the topic are dead :expressionless:

Hey, you can find some of Olaf‘s work linked on his uni page. His elektron music production pdf is a great collection of knowledge on the black trinity. Not sure though if the linked documents contain what you are looking for.

2 Likes