Copy pattern without leaving active pattern

From the manual:
[ul]
[li][b]After a pattern is selected, and before releasing any key, [REC], [PLAY] and [STOP] can be pressed to copy, clear or paste patterns without leaving the active pattern. It is possible to clear and paste multiple patterns at the same time.

I cant get this to work. I have a pattern in my clipboard. When i select a new pattern, hold it and press [stop] the sequencer just stops. It should paste the pattern according to this text right? What am i doing wrong?[/b][/li]
[/ul]

I can’t test or try this now. But it ought to be identical to the A4 method, try searching that forum, it’s discussed a couple of times, the key tapping/release sequencing is important fwiw

Here it is, again, I can’t test on AR, might help

If it’s like the A4 it’ll only work if you’re in the mode where the pattern takes over the current one at the end. Which is a bit of a pain.

Oh yeah, that is annoying !

ah so it wont work with a pattern already in the clipboard, only the one copied with the 3 button combo… Thats tricky, big chance of accidentally stopping your liveset

I’ve only had a rytm for a couple days (and it’s my first elektron device) so I may be somewhat confused. But if I understand the question I can get this to work without being in the mode where I move to the next pattern. I press a bank select button, then hold a pattern(/trig) button, and then hit record/copy to copy (a message appears on the lcd screen). This doesn’t change the current pattern. To paste I hit a bank select button, hold a pattern(/trig) button, hold stop/paste, and hit yes. This also doesn’t change the current pattern.

If I don’t hit yes as long as I’m still holding the pattern select button I’ve not yet managed to accidentally stop the sequencer, but a message flashes on the screen asking for confirmation (nothing else happens). I do wish you didn’t need confirmation for pasting, it seems kind of hard to do accidentally and I haven’t yet mastered doing this on the fly quickly. I have accidentally switched patterns while doing this, which is annoying.