AR Analog Rytm feature request thread

What would bve the difference between pattern mutes and the one in the AR’s song mode?

You wouldn’t have to load a song to have the mutes.

On a different note, it would be really cool to be able to audition sounds as applied to active track before replacing current sound with a new one.

Playback being on,

• double press TRK,
  • first sound appears and replaces tentatively the current one.
  • Cursors up and down to try out other sounds,
  • NO to revert to the current sound,
  • YES to confirm change.

I would love it.

Instead you have to

• confirm with OK and actually select the sound even before you know if it is a good match,
  • double TRK navigate to a new unknown, confirm with OK to commit to try out
    etc.
    and
  • NO+MUTE to recover to current sound.
5 Likes

Still another, velocity sensitivity curves to choose from would greatly improve playability of the mpc style drum pads; note, the only pads in Elektron line.

The pads consistently require too strong punches to reach max velocity. Not healthly to strain thus hands or pads.

Manifests itself also in performance mode, as I found out when using Launchpad Pro MK1 and RytmPad as opposed to Rytm’s own pads. I have never considered LP’s pads particularly sensitive but, the results are quite amazing: you suddenly reach with the mods farther, and the changes are more dynamic - like a ferrari after driving a fiat for a longer while.

In drum pad devices this is as a norm customised to user’s preferences; the pads are great but lack calibration.

3 Likes

Distortion turns any wave square…

Not enough, depending on how much distortion is available. To begin with.

what the AR provides (without using an individual out and gnarly pedal is not that bad, here is what overdrive set to 127, and Distortion set to 127 with symmetry at -11 does to a sinewave kick, smells like fun to me…

5 Likes

It does, but is that distortion available per track or groups of tracks and at different amounts? And what if I want to combine square wave with noise or a click (the distortion would make both pretty much disappear) etc. etc. …

(personally I’m really covered - the AR is just not for me :wink: )

2 Likes

Not trying to sell you an AR or convert you here… :rofl: I dunno :man_shrugging: i would say it can give my DFAM a run for its money in the “bath salts” department…and to answer your question, most of that distortion is the overdrive, which does have an amount per track like the DT. Also AR is a lot like the DT on the sample side of things (which from your DT video definitely seems like it is for you!) there are always ways to get what you need with these devices, I could take that distorted sample i uploaded above, load it into the sample slot of just one track. turn all distortion down (or add more) use the whole sample or just a single cycle. Change the analog engine to noise or click, blend them to taste and make infinite variations of many parameters per step, with the infused distortion just on the sample. and that’s just choosing to use one track. I dunno? just saying, there are ways…

i mean I love the A4 too, that’s why I have both…

But to remain on flique, since this is a request thread…would be nice to see some square wave drum engine options, and a second LFO.

I’m not really sure why people always go an about square wave options. You could loop a single cycle waveform sample, what difference does it make if it’s analog? it’s a pulse wave, and the kick drums are already 50% more beefy than anything else out of the box if you ask me. Sure the AR might lack the immediate finesse of the Alpha Base but give it a bit of work you can achieve much the same result… that’s the beauty of this machine, if you put a bit of thought into it you can make it do pretty much anything any other drum machine can do.

3 Likes

I’m coming from the Syntakt here, and if that track overdrive is like Syntakt’s track overdrive, then it is definitely not enough for me :wink: And if I use square waves as sample then yes … I can just use my Digitakt (where - re: comment by generalkustard - I indeed use single cycle waveforms) :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I just realised that this is an AR thread and not an A4 thread. Otherwise I wouldn’t have commented because i’m not an AR user @.@

x

5 Likes

I think the song mode on Rytm and all the current Elektrons would benefit from allowing both pattern start and end steps. With that level of control it would be possible to program a performance as you could play it. Currently it is somewhat blocky in comparison

4 Likes

+1
That’s why the Octatrack arranger is still better IMHO.

More logic choices in conditional trigs

Negative applied to every n-th, so apart from 1:3 being triggered, 1:3 NOT being triggered.
So whereas every 8:8 extra content might show on one track, less might be played on others.

1st so far, we have play/don’t play first could be complemented with positive and negative upon unmuting (once per pattern play or each time unmuted)
This latter would be especially useful for those who do sequencing by mutes within single patterns. Any time you unmute, that might trigger sounds which would mark the first / last bar. To achieve this with mutes now, you need to ensure the element repeats, and you have to unmute and then mute at the right moment per every cycle.
Instead, the unmuting would start the counting.
Again, this could also be applicable to every nth, with perhaps broken line above the symbol to indicate that “sometimes yes sometimes no”.
Further, making cycles starts dynamic will open new worlds of animation for polyrytms, on the fly.

All of the above must be easy to implement as this only augments existing functionality.
No extra cycle resources needed - actually further saved, as trigger conditions reduce the number operations.
All this could be scaled to all other Elektron’s sequencers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chromatic mode problem

I’ve been using the analog rytm mk2 for two years und i’ve never had such a problem…
When i play with chromatic mode any track, in addition it also plays me track nr.1.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?

THX :heartbeat:

Sounds like a midi loop to me… do you have your AR connected to overbridge? It could be the AR pads sending midi out over channel 1 and that playing your first track maybe?

I would love to see the choke pads to be optional and just make this a 12-voice drum machine. Ilsa Instruments did that with the SP2400… they actually bumped it to 16 voices from 8 but the Rytm should have 12 voices for a sampler/drum machine. 8 is too few.

And they should really bring missing features that the digitakt has over to their flagship machine. I get they try to hustle sales by spreading features across their machines so you have to buy more than one but thats a pretty lame business practice IMO. Just make your flagship machines the most special. The fact DT has higher resolution on scrubbing samples is absurd. One LFo on Rytm? come on now.

10 Likes

SCENE and PERFORMANCE modes can control TRIG page parameter

1 Like

Swing per track please, I want my kick on the money and the wonk elsewhere.
Micro-timing takes too much time…
Eq per track so that I can mix in the box and make it an even better live machine (using stereo outs into OT) and not just using the filter to High/BP unwanted low end.
Thanks, still loving my Mk1.

5 Likes

More Modulation: I would love a 2nd LFO/track - or at least be able to assign the existing LFO to any track, like the machine drum capabilities. Multiple LFO modulation destinations? (that would be neat too)

11 Likes