Anything out there like a Monomachine in 2024

What I loved about the MM was its variety of sounds and that it didn’t sound like a monomachine. It sounded very unique depending on who was using it. Whilst I see the Syntakt as similar in terms of lots of sound engines, everything I hear from a Syntakt sounds like a Syntakt. It’s has a very distinct sound signature.

What’s out there in 2024 that offers the sonic variety of a MM in the groovebox format?

1 Like

So… something that sounds like a Monomachine which doesn’t sound like a Monomachine ?

In terms of sonic variety, the M8 is the way to go.

14 Likes

Digitone! FM synthesis can do basically anything, and sticking it in a subtractive synth signal path was a genius idea. I’m constantly surprised by the sounds I get from it.

11 Likes

I understand your thought and agree about versatility, but in fact MM has pretty distinctive fabric of sound. Easily distinguished on records by Autechre and Chemical Brothers.

I’m not sure there exists a direct analogy. Probably M8, but I’m honestly scared by its interface :slight_smile: Is it just arrows and enter key?

If there was a 6-track groovebox based on Blofeld or Plaits/Microfreak engines, this could be an answer. Really chameleon-like engines suitable for wide range of music.
Before it happens - probably a pair of Digitakt and Digitone could be some approximation, but not exactly sounding. I could not recreate that rough FM sound on Digi and single cycles engines are not close. And missing 3rd LFO - the biggest :frowning:

1 Like

I’d still say Syntakt since Syntakt doesn’t have to sound like Syntakt … 23 examples … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYzit2zEIg&list=PL-MKoQp4lob1fUD5DAyDqKQuutxNeZsZI

8 Likes

The M8 does have Plaits engines in it, along with a full 4 OP fm engine, stereo sampler with slicing, chord synth engine, and one based on the Gameboy / LSDJ synth engine.

But yeah, without a midi controller it is basically arrow keys and a start / select button and A and B button, following the Gameboy LSDJ control layout with fairly easy to learn and remember button combos (rarely making use of more than two buttons). It’s a very programmer experience but the results can be insane and quick. Definitely not for everyone though.

6 Likes

Digitone or Syntakt are both incredible devices, but soundwise not Monomachine.

It was mentioned here before, but Blofeld is incredible and comes close. Both are from the same era. Blofeld is also multi timbral so you can use multiple layers like on Monomachine.

2 Likes

There’s a fair few scripts on Norns that are all sorts of variants on grooveboxes, and the Plaits engines and more + FX plus all manner of complex modulation: 4 each of freely assignable midi CC, LFOs, sequencers and rhythms are available too + a variant of MI Grids, all of which are available globally.

3 Likes

It sounds like you want a monomachine. It’s still out there, now it just costs the same as a down payment on a car, that’s all.

6 Likes

So after watching a few videos in the playlist, I really don’t see how this helps the user find an alternative. It doesn’t sound anything like Monomachine. The tracks are really nice, but have nothing to do with a Monomachine or guiding the user to something that sounds similar.

1 Like

The user stated that they want something like a Monomachine, but it should not sound like a Monomachine. (But also not like a Syntakt.)

8 Likes

Oops. My bad! Monomachine not sounding like monomachine is still sounding like monomachine usually lol

4 Likes

Yeah, and also trying to guess sounds out of text never works out. I just firmly believe that Syntakt can do almost anything. A link to some kind of music example would help a lot @Damweb

3 Likes

a used monomachine is your best bet.

1 Like

So it’s not the sounds I want, it’s the flexibility of the MM. The variety of sound engines and routing and FX and sequencer. The Syntakt is pretty close but as I said, the sound doesn’t grab me.

2 Likes

Machinedrum and Nord Modular come to mind. But there’s also the Roland boxes such as the SH4D that have a lot of engines.

1 Like

Yes a MD UW with the X.10 custom firmware comes to mind in terms of what OP is looking for, but it almost may be too similar to the “sound” of the mnm, but not really if you play to its different strengths. The polyphonic machines & NFX machines added in the custom firmware really bring the MD up to par with the mnm in terms of unique sounding processing but also extreme flexibility

2 Likes

A good sequencer/controller + iPad.

Summary

I will deflect your tomatoes :tomato::wink:

3 Likes

yeah I say if you really love the MnM, only it will do. sell some stuff and/or start saving. yes, it’s pricey. but there’s no shame in paying that price, if it’s really the machine for you.

3 Likes

I can think of one other option.

4 Likes