Anyone with the Oto Bam?

Im looking for a reverb pedal something that sounds warm an vintage.
Demos of the Bam are very impressive but i would like to know if there is any cheaper alternative.

There is the Mercury 7 from Meris that looks great and supposed to be inspired by the Lexicon pcm reverbs.

Any recommendation ? Thanks.

Zoom MS70CDR is surprisingly good. Sold Flint, and Big Sky cause could just use the Zoom and be happy.

1 Like

I know it’s more delay than reverb, but the Disaster Transport Sr pedal does beautiful things (two tape style delays that bleed, Plus lovely verb…)

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, so many choices.
keep them coming !

+1 for Mercury 7. Incredible sounding pedal. Meris Polymoon is just fantastic too.

Only downside to these pedals is that the expression input doubles as the MIDI I/O, and you can’t do patch changes unless you have something MIDI’ed up to it. Of course, the Mercury 7 is also 1/2 the price of the OTO, so there’s that.

3 Likes

Rather than make a new thread figured I’d just use this one.

Really love the sound of the OTO BAM over all other new gear options. Would like a Quadraverb, but don’t feel like risking it on an old box. They aren’t cheap enough to mitigate the risk ($150-250)

Other than the Golden Reverberator, what else is out there that has the mojo of the BAM. Seems like no pedals match it. The Golden is pretty darn good, but seems like they don’t really step on each other’s toes.

I’ve watched many videos of all the obvious options. What has the warmth and dimension below $599. I would love to save 200-300 bucks!

1 Like

I have it I love it both on send and direct input

It has a warm long reverb sound everything that goes in sound out magical

Erbe-Verb has the dimension but not the warmth. It’s also ridiculously fun to tweak, though, especially with external CV.

I have all 3 and I don’t think there’s all that much overlap. BAM smooth and haunting, Erbe freaky and percussive, Quadraverb glassy and vintage. I think the Quadraverb has the most tricks up its sleeve but the BAM is the most versatile. If I had to pick one, though, I might actually go with the the Erbe-Verb because it’s so damn fun to play with.

2 Likes

If you want to get extra weird, Industralectric makes the RM-1N Reverb but it is really chaotic and noisy.

1 Like

I want strictly warm and lush verb. Nothing wild. Stereo. The verb sounds from 90s Warp tunes. So in the Quadraverb realm.

I’m really down to Meris Mercury7 vs Empress Reverb vs OTO BAM

The big question I cannot answer via YouTube videos is can the Meris or Empress ever get close to this type of vibe and darker in tone.

@ 8:50 it really shows off a big thing I want.

I like the Death By Audio Rooms as a close 2nd to the BAM, but I keep reading about and also hearing lots of clipping in videos and audio clips of people using it on synth and drum machines. So I had tossed it out.
I have one touchy pedal like this now and it’s annoying to work around.

Just would love to save the $$$.

I have Empress Reverb, BAM and H9 Max for reverb duty (H9 quite a lot of different stuffs).

Empress has good reverbs/effects but I couldn’t get that BAM sound, I don’t use it as much.

BAM is my favorite then H9 (not the same sound though but I like them both). I like BAM the best when it comes to very lush reverb sound but the H9 blackhole reverb is gorgeous too and you get so many nice fx too!

I really like UA lex224 plug so perhaps the pedal might be just what you need (if it’s anything like the plugin).

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m going to drop Empress as an option.

I do have the UA Golden. It is excellent.
I consider it the foundational reverb for what I do and I need the mojo layer.

Really think it’s BAM or figure out how to tame the clipping of the DBA Rooms.
The Meris is too thin sounding I think.

Was really hoping to find a much cheaper option to the BAM. It seems like it stands alone in the 200-600 dollar range.

Coin flip Rooms VS BAM……I guess.

If anyone has Rooms and wants to weigh in on clipping and its sensitivity to line inputs, I’m very interested in your experience.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks to Hainbach. Before they were cheaper.

2 Likes

You’re where I was about two weeks ago. I got the BAM, mostly because I’ve had too many bad times with guitar pedals. But having said that, the Rooms has separate level controls for the dry and wet, so should be pretty ok with line level.

Edit: probably worth sharing this, mostly just because it’s a great demo video.

I read a user review of the Rooms pedal, where it was mentioned, that it would cut some top end of the dry signal. The reviewer was surprised, it wasn’t more talked about. Might be worth looking into. Put me of the research, which later on led me to BAM. Instant love :heart:

Thanks for your input. I have watched that video about 5 times! It’s a good one and one of the reasons I keep going back to the Rooms option.

Really think I am at the coin flip moment.
Lol. I cannot reason myself out of the BAM but I am pretty sure I’d also enjoy the Rooms. I cannot own both! I tend to gravitate toward the cheaper options.

I have heard and listened to the high end drop off and that actually might be desirable for my use. It’s not a deal stopper in any case.

The reality is, there is only one BAM-able box out there in the new product category.

If it’s important to you, one thing to consider is MIDI on the BAM.

1 Like

I’ve already got a BAM but was in the market for another reverb peddle to go with it and got Rooms as well. At first, I was pretty blown away with it - really liked it. But I had problems when I came to record because the noise floor was too much for me and I couldn’t tame it. And I think part of the problem was clipping - I’d end up using gain to try and compensate a little and that obviously made the noise worse. I really wanted to like Rooms but in the end it wasn’t for me. And I thought that the BAM sounded much better than it.

I was really was torn between BAM and Ventris dual reverb. I am going for the dual reverb. Some of the algorithms have that lush vibe that I do love about the BAM, but then the ventris is so incredibly tweakable. So if you like to have full control over different algorithms plus that lush vibe, I’d add Ventris to the list. It’s slightly cheaper as well.

2 Likes

Yes - I replaced Rooms with the Collider for the same reasons you have mentioned + I get a decent delay too

1 Like