Anyone using modular effects with their Elektrons?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone is using modular effects together with their Elektron gear? I mean an FX rack made intentionally to work with desktop synths

Is it a good idea? Thinking about replacing my BigSky with some modules, specifically because it seems a little bit limited and boring for my experiments.

What I exactly want is to route my DN / A4 / AR channels to some fancy modular delays, reverbs etc to get some interesting results, probably similar to Microcosm or NightSky

Also please share what modules do you use and how you like them and maybe some photos would be motivating too. Thanks!

Recently, I have been routing my DN into my modular. It works well with stereo-effects. I have the Ikarie Filter which can also boost the signal to modular levels and I usually run that to Mimephon which I use kind of as a resonator. I find that it makes me consider the DN as a single instrument and less as a groovebox/workstation/whatever. And also, I find it more fun to modulate in that way. They pair well.

2 Likes

Interested in this too, and specifically in stereo configs. I believe more and more modular stuff is going stereo.

2 Likes

deleted post. thanks @Nznoonee

1 Like

Sorry, done. I’m thinking in russian and my grammar usually allows this, lol

2 Likes

I certainly plan to. I will eventually pick up a Bubblesound Booster and get my OT and/or AR in there. I’m thinking MIDI into modular and fedback to Elektrons to get pitch/gate/cc synch. Good times.

Yeah modular is becoming more and more stereolized, for better or worse. Some nice crossfader modules out there.

Edited: Didn’t see you asked for examples. I use Beads exclusively for FX (and sound source) and it is an absolute triumph. Just so incredibly full of wonder. And it sounds great. As @Lauli pointed out, get some wild envelopes and lfos and randoms and switches going and it’s never-ending. Imagine a handful of arms all entangled controlling a pedal board.

Interested as well. Already have enough sound sources but fx (and modulation for my semi-modulars) would be of interest.

I guess as always with modular, in addition to main effects you’re looking at, you also would want to consider modulation sources. LFOs, envelopes followers/generators, MIDI interfaces, maybe some CV coming from the Analog 4 or whatever.
The modular is not gonna be much different from the guitar pedals if the modules are not moving/dancing along to the music.

3 Likes

I do exactly this, because modular offers some unique effects. Right now i’m looking at getting one of the 4ms delay modules, or maybe even a rainmaker.

1 Like

Yes indeed. I have a Circuit Mono Station with clock, CV, gate and aux CV outs that would make a good bridge with the MIDI realm, I think.

I’m really enjoying the Ikarie at the moment, as well as Beads. Here’s an example of me running the Ikarie as a second filter in stereo, on the bass sound (WIP, it’s probably too wide at the moment):

I’m also using the DN quite tightly with my modular. Agree that it pairs well. It does sequencing via the Intellijel midi to CV module and I’m taking the 1U line level out signal back into the DN most of the time for further fx.

2 Likes

Same here. The Ikarie is a nice versatile filter, it can also do stereo (phasing) effects, distortion etc. Same for the Mimeophone on other realms: phaser/chorus/delay/reverb/karplus.
I also have a Morphagene in there, as a looper, but lately as a granular processor with a realy short soundonsound loop, small genes and faster playback. Creates a nice layer of sound.

As statet before, next to the effects themselves you’ll need some CV sources, LFO’s, function generator, random etc. to have some extra hands :wink:

2 Likes

How did you ger your hands on Beads? I have had orders on one since the week it was announced

I think I got in very early, literally the day it was announced IIRC. Got one from the first batch that Signal Sounds received.

1 Like

A few modular effects i use with my octatrack

3 Likes

How usable is the tapographic delay ?
I have been lurking at it for a while, but I remember reading some bad reviews about it and never pulled the trigger.

Be well everyone!

My way of dipping my toes in modular fx was a make noise strega that I send my digitakt through on an aux send… something about having more exposed controls on fx units seems really great to me.

1 Like

I’m currently in the process of putting my first skiff together to pair with my Octatrack. I mostly picked modules that were fairly popular because they had the best documentation and video examples. I had to preorder a few modules (beads and intelijel io) and I’m still waiting on my powered skiff to arrive, so I’m trying to read up on all things eurorack while I wait for their arrival.

1 Like

Look what I’ve found. That looks like what I was dreaming about. Don’t see any LFOs however.

The divkid ochd (just to the left of the Mimeophon) is an LFO module (8 LFO outputs!)

2 Likes