Anyone in here care for SOTY?

Nyjah parts were nuts this year, but his trick selection is so boring. I can only remember like three tricks from both parts. Big rails look scary as shit, but I don’t need to see like 12 minutes of it.
Bonus points for creativity.

1 Like

DEFINITELY feeling that

I must say though, Nyjah is killing it. The Nike part was absolutely insane.

1 Like

It definitely is.
I watched an interview with him, and he seemed really into that part specifically.
It’s definitely the best footage of his skating.
Some of those tricks are wild tech and gnarly.
I imagine if he wasn’t so prolific in contests, people wouldn’t be so hard on him.
He seems a lil kooky, but definitely doing his own thing in a lot of ways.

1 Like

His skateboarding is absolutely undeniable, unfortunately his jockish/broish vibe is also undeniable. He seemed to spend a good chunk of time over the last year or two trying to hock NFTs and sketchy crypto pyramid schemes to his followers and has made some questionable comments about women in skateboarding over the years. I think that people who destroy contests non stop do get more criticism in skateboarding but criticisms of him are definitely deeper than that.

3 Likes

He reminds me a lot of Tony Hawk.
Similar paths

1 Like

So many rippers and Nyjah’s definitely one of the ones at the top.

Right now my top skaters are:
Roller Surfer (Seattle homie Ben Koppl) - Ben Koppl (@rollersurfer) • Instagram photos and videos
Jamie Foy - Jamie Foy (@jamie_foy) • Instagram photos and videos
Liam Pace - Liam Pace (@liampace_) • Instagram photos and videos
Jesse Lindloff - Jesse lindloff (@beanwater1) • Instagram photos and videos
Jamie Mateu - Jaime Mateu (@jaimemateu) • Instagram photos and videos
SkateGoat - Leandre Sanders (@skategoat) • Instagram photos and videos
Rayssa Leal - Rayssa Leal (@rayssalealsk8) • Instagram photos and videos
Sky Brown - Sky Brown (@skybrown) • Instagram photos and videos

Coming up, fast
Jake Familton - Jake Familton (@stuntmanjake2011) • Instagram photos and videos
Gavin Bottger - (@gavinbottger) • Instagram photos and videos
Nels (Seattle homie) - Nels "Gnarls" Rosen (@gnarls206) • Instagram photos and videos
Me (syke :laughing:) - https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17931933935529587/

3 Likes

Rad mini ramp!

1 Like

That Roller Surfer kid obliterated the weird bacon and eggs park out by buckley or whatever. That thing wasn’t even remotely skateable for me lol.

1 Like

great skating!

1 Like

After a 2nd round watching that Nyjah part, that might be the wildest shit I’ve seen on a skateboard. Can’t really process it all the 1st time.
I also think I get clouded cuz I expect someone like Nyjah to do unreal shit like that.
That part is bonkers.

Supreme vid about to drop too.
Sheesh

1 Like

There is a whole thread about skateboarding here…
awesome conversations abound! Skateboarding thread
lots of folks in there interested about skateboarding that may have missed your one off thread…

1 Like

I have definitely seen it, posted in it etc.
That’s why I kind of broke out a separate thing.
Skateboarding is very polarizing.
In a way I am bringing up a topic that’s like talking about the top 5 pop stars.
It would feel out of place in an underground music thread so to speak.

@OrangeDrink have you watched the nyjah nike part yet? you may think he deserves soty this year based on your leo logic.

holy shit. there is no one better at skateboarding than him, but it certainly was less enjoyable to watch, for me at least, than the new t funk part and the supreme video. i’m sure if you saw any of those tricks happen in person you would probably rightfully think there’s no way nyjah shouldn’t be soty, but watching his part it’s obvious to me that i’m not into what he’s putting out with the whole music selection and aesthetic. skating is as hard to judge as music. nyah is insanely technically good and you’re probably lying to yourself if you can’t appreciate that, but i much prefer the feeling you get from listening to some good punk rock or 36 chambers

tyshawn should probably get soty again for this trick alone "Play Dead" - YouTube

sorry for the rant. i’m just an almost 40 year old that drank a strong stout and bourbon and i’ve got a got a lot of important stuff to say about skateboarding

i’m also curious to see if nyah puts out another part. didn’t mark suciu put 3 out last year?

2 Likes

I feel like it’s difficult to take in these parts because these guys make REALLY hard tricks look so easy.
Tyshawn makes giant stuff seem completely normal.
I definitely need to watch his latest stuff again.
I was hoping the most recent T-Funk would hit harder than the Tyson T-Funk video, but it did not.
Still heavy though.

I actually don’t think they should give out SOTY twice to the same person.
There’s just too much diversity and a skaters ability/sweet spot is only so long really.

I was expecting another Louie part.

Nyjah makes me feel polarized with myself :sweat_smile:
I think that actually says a lot about that dude.
If he doesn’t get it, I would chalk it up to not giving it to the guy who probably get’s the most money from skateboarding, not really a “Thrasher” type, and his taste in fashion and music not really hitting the Thrasher marks.
Nevertheless, “Need That” is banger after banger. Plus he hauls ass all over that mofo.

SOTY itself feels weird without Jake Phelps weighing in on it.
This new thing with everyone dropping parts at the end of the year feels a lil dumb to me.
I still feel like a skater should be able to get it off one part they put out, and a few other things, not just the amount of footage.

At this point I’m on the fence.
It doesn’t seem completely obvious to me.
Milton seemed obvious, so did Jamie Foy, or Ishod.

Louie Lopez is high on the list for me. Dude is so sick

2 Likes

I’m almost surprised by the final choice.
I like Tyshawn, yet I feel like to get it twice you gotta put in twice the effort. IDK 🤷
For as much flack as Nyjah gets for his kits, I don’t see Tyshawn In necessarily a better realm.
I actually thought Louie might take it.
I wanted T-Funk to come through a bit more on his 2nd part and take it.
I’m guessing Nyjah is blacklisted. I’d love to know that back story.
Thrasher might have taken some heat for not originally including TJ Rogers.
Be wild to be a fly on the wall at Thrasher when they decide.

1 Like

Tyshawn’s a beast! Congrats to him!

But yea. All these dudes are so freaking good, you wouldn’t be able to distinguish who was SOTY. They’d all shut down the park or spot

1 Like

Big congrats to Tyshawn and all the guys who were nominated. Hell of a year for skating.

I’ve been back on my board lately, rolling around some of the local parks and occasionally falling on my ass, ripping my jeans, skinning my knees and elbows, etc. etc. Feels great.

1 Like

The backside flip over the subway tracks was fucking insane. When that thing got ollied back in the Tengu video I thought it would have been one upped way more by now, testament to how crazy it actually is I guess.

1 Like