Anyone in here care for SOTY?

T Funk or Nyjah?
DAYUM

6 Likes

Nyjah is already cemented in GOAT status, so I feel like Tfunk is bringing the new hotness so I’m more of a TFunk fan atm

great to see someone talking about skateboarding on here! my connection is that I made a video to a song using a Model:Cycles and the video has me ollieing in slomo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s kind of where I’m at as well.
Although that Nyjah’s part is death defying and mad board control, it’s still Nyjah doing a bunch of rail tricks over and over. If he’d ever get it, it could be now.

T Funks part felt fresh, and was all over the place, fast, gnarly, unique etc.
After I watched T Funk’s part it felt like seeing something legendary, something for the books.

1 Like

I hate to be like, “Nyjah, you are so good i’m not impressed anymore” but when everyone is so skilled at these pro levels, the only thing that really separates you is your creativity on how you approach things.

that dirt bike pull into upward ramp gap wallride was just like - why would you even think that was possible???

and then the closer bench gap was insane because it could only be attempted at that speed.

when leo romero got SOTY I felt like it was 1000% deserved because my dude was breaking the laws of physics going UP these handrails. :exploding_head:

(Nyjah, I still love u pls do not delete your elektronauts acct)

2 Likes

I don’t pay a ton of attention to SOTY but TFunk deserves it for the china banks bench ollie alone.

3 Likes

:rofl:

I’m 48 so I definitely look at all this from old man status.
I completely agree tho.
Nyjah is just in his own world, he’s hella awkward. That will never change.
He does hard, but sort of expected stuff.
Skateboarders can be really bitter about the line between skills and creativity. Weighing them out.
It will always fascinate me to watch its progress

1 Like

It gave me adrenaline just watching that

3 Likes

lololol like poor andy macdonald, incredible skater, hella awkward

but what do i know i’m hella awkward myself :nerd_face:

i’m dying to know how wide that bench was

1 Like

The length of the bench doesn’t seem as crazy as what you can’t see. The other side of that bank is like a 2 story drop.
Bananas

2 Likes

My votes for Alex Broskow

We call rollerblading skating too. like I call my blades my “skates”.

2 Likes

Skateboarders are a critical lot.
I think when the skates or board are stuck to your feet, we just aren’t as impressed.
Except for scooters, we have a special place for exclusively not liking scooters :joy:

I know, it’s stubborn, possibly funny, possibly not. But it is a thing.

this is great to hear some words from Tristian about getting the ollie
also/ i completely forgot about the height of the banks

5 Likes

That was GOOD! I watched that recently.
They’re SO MUCH content, that one stood out to me.

1 Like

I watched this one a while back, the Phil Shao stuff!!!

2 Likes

T Funk is much more my preferred style (and he follows one of my Instagrams :wink: ) but I haven’t watched that part yet! One of Nyjah’s trick was a subtle mind-bender - some kind of fake blindside to switch K or something? Need to rewatch it!

I’m sure there will be an upcoming onslaught of video parts for other potentials SOTYs!

3 Likes

I think we can all agree on disliking scooters ! I actually blade with the skateboarders and the scooter kids and the bmx at my local park / I can hit every feature on my blades street and vert. Come out to lake stevens WA skatepark ! I’m the local board catcher and silent filmer cuz my skates so quiet compared to a board. !

image|666x500

4 Likes

Nyjah parts were nuts this year, but his trick selection is so boring. I can only remember like three tricks from both parts. Big rails look scary as shit, but I don’t need to see like 12 minutes of it.
Bonus points for creativity.

1 Like

DEFINITELY feeling that

I must say though, Nyjah is killing it. The Nike part was absolutely insane.

1 Like

It definitely is.
I watched an interview with him, and he seemed really into that part specifically.
It’s definitely the best footage of his skating.
Some of those tricks are wild tech and gnarly.
I imagine if he wasn’t so prolific in contests, people wouldn’t be so hard on him.
He seems a lil kooky, but definitely doing his own thing in a lot of ways.

1 Like