Anyma Phi

I just posted on the forum so will see how the team respond.
Am I alone in this unit coming with a wildly short PSU cable? Maybe 1m?
At that length, any available USB ports come with a load of noise, while the unit is silent if plugged in via an extension…an extension that I need to bring up and on to my desk…

I got the short cable too. and I complained to their support, they basically told me to go buy a longer one. kinda lame

Can you tell me or link me to the cable you ended up buying? Bit unusual the USB-DC thing and don’t wanna blow it up! I really like the device but will say that this feels like a bit of an oversight.

It takes 5v DC at a minimum of 1amp. So any adaptor that can provide that (and is center-positive) will work just fine.

It’s not required that it comes from USB. USB just happens to be a convenient way to get 5v is all.

2 Likes

I think there are differences in barrel sizes, in addition to the variation of polarity. I vaguely recall 2.1 mm versus 2.5mm. (Only a phone to hand right now or I’d say more)

1 Like

Yes we’ve sent all the Anyma Phis with this type of cable. You can purchase a new one, the specs is this: USB to 5.5x2.1mm DC tip cable. I hope this helps.

^the message they sent me

3 Likes

There are 10 new factory patches available here. The ones that finish “ext” are meant for processing external input.

NICE, thank you. Gonna try these tomorrow.

On a slightly related note, check out this patch made by a user in the Anyma Phi forum. I’m kinda obsessed with it: Stream Cosmic Noodle by Kamil Ondroušek | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Thread and download link here.

1 Like

How are people liking their Anyma Phis?

When I read physical modeling I immediately think realistic, expressive brass and woodwind sounds, credible piano sounds, metalophones etc

Wondering, is the Anyma Phi capable of such sounds or is it more akin to AAS Chromaphone, where out-of-this-world sounds are more the focus of the engine?

The physical modelling in the anyma phi is mostly based on models of physical structures, typically resonating structures, and what you can build on with that, rather than attempting to exactly reproduce a physical instrument of some description.

The main exceptions to the ‘resonator’ paradigm that spring to my mind are a very nice tonewheel organ oscillator, and some woodwind type sounds.

I’ve had nice ‘piano’ tones from it but I wouldn’t claim that sound mimicked any particular kind of piano. (Also remember, max 3 notes ‘polyphony’ and even that will share a filter to its probably more accurately paraphony of some description.)

2 Likes

Thank you for that great answer! Somehow I missed the 3 note polyphony max, that’s a dealbreaker to me for the use case I had in mind, still very cool to have physical modeling in a hardware module of this format.

Sonic State and Jim Heywood did a sound only demo of the Anyma Phi at NAMM.

4 Likes

Just in case there’s anyone lurking here who hasn’t bought one yet, there is one up for sale here

I have no connection with the seller.

Just my imagination at play, but now after the MiniFreak, i started to think of the Anyma Omega.

5 Likes

Nice idea …

Meanwhile, we already added a few things to the Anyma Phi:
Anyma Phi v1.1.0

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Just updated mine and checked out the new patches. Some of them are really good and expressive to play. Still a fan. :ok_hand:

https://aodyo.com/soon/

4 Likes

Ooooh. :slight_smile:

(But let’s not have an endless speculation thread like elektron products, eh ?)

So as a part of the Anyma Omega Kickstarter Aodyo is offering a special edition Anyma Phi. Not sure off all the detail, but i think it’s just a redressed unit.

Here’s the best picture i’ve found so far :

( Will update when i find a better image. )

I like the dark colors, and i think the lines on the columns are straight. If i was in the market, i’d spring for this over the original. You can buy this through the Anyma Omega Kickstarter campaign. It is set to deliver in January of 2023.

Confirmed.