Anyma Phi

Just ordered one and could not be more excited!

4 Likes

Every time I come on this forum, it costs me £500 :grimacing:

Cool video of it here - “AODYO Anima Phi - First Contact” by Friendly Noise - YouTube

2 Likes

FWIW there are new(ish) patches to be had from Aodyo.

Factory Bank 21-30 Index of /anymaphi/factory-bank

Also, with some overlap with the factory bank, some presets featured in the loopop review.

3 Likes

Very gratifying that loopop mentions here, two UI features that I suggested: Having the mod slot identified not only by number but, in brackets, also by the type of modulator it contains, and also that mappings are initialised with amount at 100% … I hope the latter one has saved a lot of “so why isn’t it doing anything ?” moments.

Much gratitude, thanks!

Mine just landed with me and I can see so much exciting possibility from just an hour or so’s exploration - more presets demonstrating this potential and to learn from/adapt is very welcome.

1 Like

Hi there, I have some questions about anima phy:

• Sound quality? Does it sound good? I’ve heard a lot of youtube demos and judging by them I have mixed feelings about it.

• Does it accept midi cc messages?

• How good is at making weird/ atonal techno basses à la ring/syncussion

Thanks!

Yes. See page 17 of the manual for instance, heading “External controls (A/B/C/D)”.

3 Likes

Some of the presets are amazing. Some are pretty meh. I’m just getting into sound design with it, and it’s pretty clear that you can get some amazing results, but be prepared to work at it for a while. There’s a lot to learn.

4 Likes

I just posted on the forum so will see how the team respond.
Am I alone in this unit coming with a wildly short PSU cable? Maybe 1m?
At that length, any available USB ports come with a load of noise, while the unit is silent if plugged in via an extension…an extension that I need to bring up and on to my desk…

I got the short cable too. and I complained to their support, they basically told me to go buy a longer one. kinda lame

Can you tell me or link me to the cable you ended up buying? Bit unusual the USB-DC thing and don’t wanna blow it up! I really like the device but will say that this feels like a bit of an oversight.

It takes 5v DC at a minimum of 1amp. So any adaptor that can provide that (and is center-positive) will work just fine.

It’s not required that it comes from USB. USB just happens to be a convenient way to get 5v is all.

2 Likes

I think there are differences in barrel sizes, in addition to the variation of polarity. I vaguely recall 2.1 mm versus 2.5mm. (Only a phone to hand right now or I’d say more)

1 Like

Yes we’ve sent all the Anyma Phis with this type of cable. You can purchase a new one, the specs is this: USB to 5.5x2.1mm DC tip cable. I hope this helps.

^the message they sent me

3 Likes

There are 10 new factory patches available here. The ones that finish “ext” are meant for processing external input.

NICE, thank you. Gonna try these tomorrow.

On a slightly related note, check out this patch made by a user in the Anyma Phi forum. I’m kinda obsessed with it: Stream Cosmic Noodle by Kamil Ondroušek | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Thread and download link here.

1 Like

How are people liking their Anyma Phis?

When I read physical modeling I immediately think realistic, expressive brass and woodwind sounds, credible piano sounds, metalophones etc

Wondering, is the Anyma Phi capable of such sounds or is it more akin to AAS Chromaphone, where out-of-this-world sounds are more the focus of the engine?

The physical modelling in the anyma phi is mostly based on models of physical structures, typically resonating structures, and what you can build on with that, rather than attempting to exactly reproduce a physical instrument of some description.

The main exceptions to the ‘resonator’ paradigm that spring to my mind are a very nice tonewheel organ oscillator, and some woodwind type sounds.

I’ve had nice ‘piano’ tones from it but I wouldn’t claim that sound mimicked any particular kind of piano. (Also remember, max 3 notes ‘polyphony’ and even that will share a filter to its probably more accurately paraphony of some description.)

2 Likes

Thank you for that great answer! Somehow I missed the 3 note polyphony max, that’s a dealbreaker to me for the use case I had in mind, still very cool to have physical modeling in a hardware module of this format.

Sonic State and Jim Heywood did a sound only demo of the Anyma Phi at NAMM.

4 Likes