Anyma Omega Keyboard and Desktop from Aodyo

Hi BrokenGadget.

Did you know, there is an Anyma Phi Thread ?

1 Like

Sorry if I’ve clogged up this thread with my ramblings - I was picking up on some of the earlier discussion about the Phi in this thread.

I hope the UI on the Omega is very much improved in comparison to the Phi.

A post script to the story is that the Phi fetched £250 when sold and I spotted it auctioned on again for the same amount a few weeks later.

well

12 Likes

1 literal buttload of encoders :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Plus a ton of buttons

I’m waiting for the Anyma Omega and the Fred's lab - Manatee - Multitimbral MPE Synthesizer. Both are crowdfunding projects and both are delayed by months.

But

Fred is sharing updates regularly, in full transparency, offering you a seat in the journey to release a new product. It is a pleasure to follow, I’m learning a lot about how the production of a hardware synth by a small manufacturer works. We are all rooting for Fred and their quest.

Meanwhile, the Aodyo team… are almost hermetically silent. I understand and respect teams who are not active on social media regularly, that takes a lot of time and resources for a small team. But I’m sure there is a point in between.

In crowdfunding projects, either you deliver like a clock (silence is fine, then) or you cover up for your delays with frequent updates to your “shareholders”.

3 Likes

News:

“This pivotal decision, made very recently, will unfortunately delay Omega production by an additional minimum of six months.”

3 Likes

On the other hand, this hopefully means that we won’t have the same problem with maxing out the CPU on a complex device that the Phi has, or at least not as easily.

3 Likes

Something that I’m noticing is that waiting for synths you have already paid for helps reduce GAS. Of course, it also helps learning more about the music software and gear you already have and keep using. And also you can’t spend the money you have already spent in the crowdfunded synths.

I can’t avoid being an optimist, I guess. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Is anyone familiar with Native Instruments Prism?

Will this provide a similar sound, if it gets released?

Has this Fatar PolyAT keyboard been released in another product already? I funded the desktop version and I haven’t paid much attention to details about the keyboard, but with the delay and the tectonic plates always drifting in my setup, I might prefer the keyboard version after all. That is, if that keyboard and I would be good friends and it would become my keyboard controller as well.

Not that it’s an urgent question, and I’m looking forward to try myself at Superbooth, but, you know,. to keep the conversation going here… :slight_smile:

I don’t know Prism, but have you checked the Anyma Omega videos and sound demos?

Both Prism and Omega are capable of producing a wide array of sounds. What type of sounds are you specifically after?

There are poly-aftertouch Fatar keybeds in the Waldorf Iridium keyboard and Quantum MkII, UDO Super Gemini and Native Instruments S49/S61/S88 Mk3.

There are two different models so I don’t know about the one in the NI range but the one in the Waldorfs feels excellent.

1 Like

I use Prism a lot and I’ve had the Anyma Phi, the little brother of the Anyma Omega, for a long time. If you talk specifically about the physical modeling aspect of the sound design (because I believe the Omega, like the Anyma Phi, also has VA, wavetables, and so on), Prism is a modal synthesis softsynth, whereas the Omega has different types of physical modeling synthesis.

That said, I don’t know about the Omega but the Anyma Phi was much more limited than Prism in terms of versatility and variety of the sounds it can produce. Prism sounds just more organic, clear and is so much more fun to program. I don’t think there will be a lot more new physical synthesis forms in the Omega than in the Phi, so for that Prism wins by a lot.

Thank you! I went to a shop where they had the Iridium and the NI S49. To me they felt like the same keybed. It seems to do the job. I have been spoiled with a SL88 Grand (very enjoyable but I sold it because it was too good and too big for what I really do and can do). Now I have an Osmose that also feels premium (in a very different way), but here too I’m considering selling it because most of the time I’m not taking advantage of the extra expressiveness and I end up using it more as a controller than as a synth.

This is more a battle for space and mental focus than a purely economic matter. Even if I still have space for the Omega desktop sitting next to the Osmose, I’m thinking of selling the Osmose, claim refund for the Omega desktop, and get the Omega keyboard instead. I would loose Osmose’s pitch modulation (which is really cool and unique) and I guess also this pressure dimension the Osmose has (right?). But still have the poly after touch (which I moderately use) and then the touch / tap effects thanks to the touchpad and the ribbon.

Do you mean “claiming” a refund via Kickstarter ? Typically you can’t do that. It is left entirely up to the maker whether they do that, and it is uncommon that makers do.

You might consider asking Aodyo if you could “upgrade” your pledge to the keyboard somehow. Not sure how possible that might be at this stage in manufacture, but perhaps that’s possible.

It was a no-brainer for me to go for the keyboard version. With all the different interfaces on this – as for instance the breath controller – together with the keyboard made total sense to me. I also have a Hydrasynth keys and an Osmose, ( and the Phi ), so a Fatar poly-aftertouch keybed makes sense to me too.

I like the idea of having a multitimbral poly synth with such a diverse set of controls on it, along with the flexibility in the patch design, live on the synth.

1 Like

Indiegogo in my case but yeah, I see in my profile that there is no way back. I had misread the FAQs. Thank you for pointing this out. Yes, I’ll reach out to Aodyo. For them, it’s a few hundred euros more. :slight_smile:

Desktop / Keyboard, I get what you mean, but I don’t like to have duplication in my setup. If a keyboard comes in, a keyboard must go out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you gonna make me regret getting the desktop? True that the keys are nice to have but I’ve no space !

Let us know how it goes :wink:

1 Like

Impressive, they replied within an hour on a Friday late afternoon. I’m getting the keyboard version!

4 Likes