Any tricks for triplets on RYTM

Elektron doesn’t like Triplets it seems.

Anyone have any tricks for making quarter note triplets in RYTM? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

I’m almost tempted to make short samples of the triplets in wav on my maschine and import it to the RYTM and play it as a sample in the right tempo.

But that’s last case scenario

Why does Elektron hate triplets so bad?

1 Like

I suppose the other option is no quantize on the track and try to play it and record it as close to a triplet as possible…

You could use retrig set for 1/6, 1/12, or 1/24. Also, you could also do it by changing the swing for individual steps.

5 Likes

I’ve been putting in a line of trigs and then micro-timing them ahead of the beat. Works OK, but bit of a shame it has to be done as a workaround and it won’t record them live.

The best possibility is the microtiming. I don´t know exactly the values but they were not that complicated.

1 Like

I guess we’ll have to wait for re-trigs to be recorded.

ok, triplets are a set time, quarter note triplets are exact, if I were to stepwrite quarter note triplets in the RYTM, how exactly is that done?

Press record until red led is illuminated to enter step write mode

Press and hold down a trigger on the sequencer and press the retrig button or simply press the up arrow key

The retrig lock menu is now displayed

Turn the appropriate knob to change the division to 1/12 (or if you’ve used the up arrow, continue pressing up or down to change the division to your desired time)

Use the A encoder to make sure the retrig is on (or press the retrig key again, or pressing the up arrow will automatically enable the retrig on this step)

Length is the number of sequencer steps the retrig will be held for, also displaying divisions such as 1/16th, 1/8th, etc…

Velocity allows the retrig to fade up to or down from the velocity entered on the sequencer step. In the case of fades increasing in volume, make sure the velocity for the step is lowered in the trig menu under the encoders.

This is how to step write triplets, or more generally retrigs.

Don’t forget you can copy and paste individual trigs to make the process a little easier. The next bummer you will encounter is that retrigs are not affected by swing. Aahh… perhaps we will see a nice OS update soon.

16 Likes

Lymtronics, you ARE AMAZING.

1 Like

Top tip! ^^

1 Like

MIDI resolution is always quantized but at a very hi rate of 1/348ths the same resolution as Elektron sequencers implement. Triplets and more are possible, here’s a little visual help:

7 Likes

To be fair, it’s a work around but it’s a lame one.

No P-locking on 2nd or 3rd notes…

It’ll do for now, but it’s a beta cure. It’d be surprising if Elektron leave it there. Not too much triplets in generic techno so most people here don’t miss it…

As much as I’d rather have the real thing, this work around by Lymtronics is indeed a TOP TIP.

1 Like

What’s wrong with using microtiming? I don’t see any other way it could be done (that said, I’m from a tracker background and would achieve triplets using note delays, pretty much the same thing)

So how exactly would you do quarter note triplets with micro timing, what’s the step by step?

There’s nothing wrong with it :slight_smile:

MPCs held down beat making in terms of hardware for so long. It’s a native function of how they operate, it’s easy to make triplets per track on one, people get used to that and it becomes an industry standard, and music is informed by it aka swung triplets become a well known and default standard in some hip hop (and trap), for example.

I guess it helps if you visualise it in relation to the existing steps on the sequencer.

Above is the existing 16th note step sequencer, and below are the triplets you’re trying to program.
The way I’d do it is by entering trigs on every step except the black ones in the diagram above. Then, for the second trig of every beat, shift the micro timing forward (not sure of the exact value, but here it looks like it’s just under 50%; I’m not sure what that is on the RYTM since I don’t actually have one). And the same for the third trig in each beat, but shift it forward more. OR you could leave the third trig blank and enter a trig on the fourth step (where the black squares are in my above diagram) and shift it back (if the RYTM allows this, not sure).
Then, if you want it to be half time, just delete every second trig out of the ones enabled.
Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense, it’s late and I’m pretty tired… also I don’t have the RYTM but I’m sure it’s possible with this method. You just need to work out the ratios between notes and figure out how much they need to be delayed. Once you figure that out it becomes easy.

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with it :slight_smile:

MPCs held down beat making in terms of hardware for so long. It’s a native function of how they operate, it’s easy to make triplets per track on one, people get used to that and it becomes an industry standard, and music is informed by it aka swung triplets become a well known and default standard in some hip hop (and trap), for example.
[/quote]
True, but MPCs don’t work on a x0x style grid, right? It’s unfair to compare the two types of sequencing. They both have their advantages and disadvantages!

Can’t really be arsed typing out an exact step by step, but each 1/16th note is divided into 24 microtiming steps (16 x 24 = 384; each micro timing step is 1/384th of a note).
When you place a trig you can shift it forward or back by 1/384 steps either side of the quantised 16th beat.
To programme 1/4t you need to use the microtiming to shift the trigs and place each one 64/384ths after the preceding beat (384/6=64)
Snowcrash’s graphical representation should help.

2 Likes