Any tricks for triplets on RYTM

Sounds like triplet support in Strom would be well loved! Void?! What do you think?

1 Like

Bit baffled as to why people think the analog rytm doesn’t do triplets. it does triplets just fine, in fact in the same way as a 606 for example. Just set sequence length to 12 steps. Standard 4/4 kicks would go on steps 1,4,7,10 instead of 1,5,9,13 and then each trig would correspond to a triplet quantize, without having to get into micro timings at all. To sync to external clock put time to 3/4 in scale menu. or am i missing something really obvious (always possible!).

3 Likes

you can also multiply pattern scale to 3/4 and get triplets that way…

2 Likes

It’s a good idea, but that isn’t triplets in the way that is mentioned here. You want a measure divided by 3 and 4 (quarter and triplet notes) on separate machines, creating polyrhythms.

In the way you suggest, wouldn’t you then have every machine playing triplets?

I don’t think anyone is saying the AR can’t do triplets. The questions is whether an individual machine can play triplets over a separate (preferably swung) 4/4 pattern. As said earlier, you can do this by trig rolls but you lose the ability to modulate each note separately. Also, microtiming will get you there, but the “trick” I’ve been alluding to involves applying swing to non-triplet patterns globally to get the pulse between swung and quantized quarter and triplet notes.

If I’m understanding you correctly, the rest of the tracks would be chained to triplet notes in every measure. What if you want a scenario where quarter notes and triplet notes are playing over each other?

That’s where micro timing would work. Sure, it’s a little more work at first but I don’t see any other way to do it. Plus, that way it can be done a little more ‘loose’ or off the grid if you like.

1 Like

What would work would be independent pattern scale per track. I don’t event know if that is the right term, but it would mean 12/4 over 16/4. Being able to select this on the fly would be pretty bad ass.

It is a standard with other similar drum/beat sequencers. I thought it would have been standard on the AR.

Yes, you can work around it. Sometimes you want the hats played back quantized, and then micro shift the kick/clap trigs

Then start adjusting global swing - it’s a trip. Funk.

If you use micro timing you can alternate between triplets and straight notes in the same pattern :smiley:

3 Likes

Any finally, you can just play them in.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Swung triplets on an MPC? Please enlighten me, how does one do this on an MPC exactly? On all of my MPCs the triplets cannot be swung, only non-triplet beat divisions… unless you are referring to time signature trickery?

Maybe I’m just daft but can’t you do triplets with time sig changes, or with swing at a correct value? You can always disable swing on tracks & steps which you want to keep straight, no?

Sorry, I originally meant 16th notes swung at 66%. My first post wasn’t very clear…

I have a question though - if you play in a non quantized hat line in 16s and the apply small amounts of quantized to the track globally, what happens on the AR when you start dialing swing up from 50%?

Does the swing catch every second note, regardless of whether or not it falls on the quantized division?

1 Like

+1, don’t make it too complicated guys :wink: in the programming approach, the retrig idea seems nice to me and easy to use.

1 Like

But then you are stuck with ONLY triplets, right? I think people want the option of straight 16ths AND triplets, in an easy to use manner.

1 Like

But then you are stuck with ONLY triplets, right? I think people want the option of straight 16ths AND triplets, in an easy to use manner.[/quote]
Yes, TRIPLETS and STRAIGHT 16th notes to create polyrhythms

2 Likes

That’s the one ^

It is achievable but only by micro adjusting the trigs really.

That’s no biggie. Another alternative would be to try adjusting swing on a sequence with quarter notes to 66/67, which should turn it into a triplet, if it works as the MPC.

Then you can p lock each note, either note 2 or 3 will be lost (don’t know which) - I’ll have to try this out.

1 Like

So what’s the definitive micro-timing value? I’m in class and can’t check right now :]

I’m not sure, but can’t you just enter the trigs and play around with micro timing settings until it sounds right? Just keep moving them forward until they sit in the right spot.

If you want both triplets and sixteenth notes in a pattern, use swing and disable swing trigs from tracks/sections you want to keep straight? Wouldn’t this be the easiest way to do it??

1 Like

It would be.

It’s already mentioned above.

1 Like

I did some math and find out that for 1beat triplet (1-4t trigs) it should be 1st trig at “on grid”, 3d trig at “-1/24” and 4th trig at “-1/48”. Seems like for quintuplets and septuplets more math should be done.

5 Likes

Thank you levfranzengold for bumping this old thread and everyone for the advice here. Pretty new to Rytm and this is one of the questions I had, really helpful stuff!

1 Like