Any tips with the LFO

Anyone got any sure fire tips to help with using the LFO? I’ve spent the last hour trying to Pitch down a sample when it’s triggered but I just can’t seem to figure out the timings. Also, Start Phase doesn’t seem to do anything.

I’m guessing I’m doing a whole heap of wrong, so maybe some kind soul can lend an ear :slight_smile:

Hi

This has come up a few times on the A4 forum. Although you might not have guessed from the titles of the threads. The AR LFO is practically identical to the A4. Few bits and bobs about timing in these threads.

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/fr-smoothed-random-lfo-please/3370/27758

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/lfo-rates-how-random-is-random/1124/6747

Not sure about the start phase. Mine works just fine. It should be offsetting the degree at which the LFO is beginning when trigged initially or when retrigged. Example pic shows degrees of sine

Oh cool - i’ll take a peek. Yeah, I figured it would offset the LFO but nothing seems to be happening when I change the value… oddness. :confused:

Works better with some LFO modes than others. Works well with TRG mode. Because the LFO is retrigging with each trig you can hear more clearly the starting point of the LFO

1 Like

Yeah I find TRIG easier to use, though my situation last night meant I couldn’t. Basically I was re-triggering a sample (holding a Trig and then pressing up on the cursors) for 4 bars very fast and wanted the pitch to drop. Was trying to do that with the LFO and just couldn’t. TRIG didn’t work as it just resets the LFO on each fast sample retrigger and FREE just seemed to not do what I wanted (almost felt like the SAW LFO didn’t start at the top of it’s cycle which is odd).

:zonked:

I found a good workaround to have proper control over the phase of the LFO. Have your first lock to be in TRIG mode, choose the start phase you want, then Mage a trig less lock next in the sequence with HOLD mode on. This should continue the LFO from the phase from the previous one. I’ve been using this to create really nice polyrhythmic acid sequences when assigned to filter and envelope.

what is the exact purpose/improvement of the trigless lock, because as i read through your description i don’t follow the need/benefit - keen to see what the ‘aha’ aspect is
e.g if you want control of phase retrig lfo and lock phase on that 1 trig - what’s the second one achieving creatively ? curious …

Can anyone confirm if AR Retrig also retrigs the lfo / envelope or not ?

1 Like

AFan :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes, it does retrig the lfo (trg/one settings) and the amp & filter envelopes.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you just use velocity in a parameter lock.

Wrong thread… jk :rofl:

I swear to god, though. Would it hurt to add an extra page or two of LFOs like the AF?

Or just more than one destination for the LFO. I dont get it, Why only one destination.

3 Likes

AF also stands for Audiofanzine. I was asking for an AF user. Probably @Leptic? (different name).
I don’t have AR anymore.

Or make Accent Dest effective for Velocity MOD.

1 Like

Yes I follow you from Audio fanzine, I found it funny :clown_face:

1 Like

Can’t you use a free running (or hold) lfo and set it to retrig from step 1? This should start the lfo in phase always from step 1 (or the step you set to retrig)? Lfo could also be retrigged with a 1st trig condition to trigger it in phase and have it freerunning then.

Also for pitching down a sample, you could try if you can achieve what you want with parameter slides (free the precious AR lfo).

3 Likes