FR : "smoothed" random LFO please!

This. Or you could try setting the random LFO to Trig and send an envelope to the same parameter. Not sure whether the A4 actually mixes modulation sources as opposed to just layering them. The signals would have to mix in order to get the desired effect. Must try this myself and find out

some time between 1.06 and now they have sorted out the non-random random - now you do get a different initial value starting at each trig, it used to commence from zero every time, previously the workaround was to reverse the LFO, that always started with a different value

Just tried it there. Both methods give similar results. Setting both LFOs to the exact same settings (except second LFO set to sine or triangle as sicijik suggested) works best. The ENV method kinda works also as long as both envelopes have a smooth attack and release and LFO is set to trig.

Although I don’t think it’s a smooth random in the traditional sense as you can still hear the hard edges to the random waveform.

Just noticed adding a small amount of the FAD knob adds some slew to a straight random waveform aswell.

On a side note, here’s something avantronica pointed out in another thread about the LFO that comes in handy when mixing mod sources. Especially for this kind of thing

Setting LFO speed to 1 and multiplier to x128 gives an exact 1 cycle of the LFO over 16 steps (1 bar) for sine, triangle and square. Following from that a speed of 2 will give 2 cycles per bar ,a speed of 3 will give 3 cycles per bar etc.

With random wave form it’s slightly different (it appears to be 16 times faster than sine, triangle and square). Setting LFO speed to 1 and multiplier to x128 gives 16 random random cycles per bar (1 every step). So with the random wave if you set the speed to 1 and the multiplier to x8 you get one random change per bar.

I had kind of been using the speed and multiplier settings backwards before I tried this. It’s nice to be able to operate the LFO and know exactly what it’s doing in relation to the sequencer

Parameter locks on the A4 are a bit like having 128 LFOs which will do what ever you tell them to on each of up to 64 steps per pattern.
It’ll take some programming, especially if you want a different faux-random LFO pattern per sequencer pattern but if you’re willing to put the time in you could get what you’re after with locks and slides.

This is good to know as well. Not something I had picked up on before.
For traditional smooth sample and hold or random you need a slew generator which curves the rising and falling edges of the random wave. It’s not something you can really do with the A4 but some of these methods will get you half way there.
I have a Make Noise Wogglebug I got last year. Now that is indeed a random beast. It has independent smooth and stepped CV outputs as well as woggle CV output which is just mental. Be great if the A4 had CV input

it’s a very handy thing to throw in the mix when you tweak a bit :+1: - quite tricky to set up as the fade time plays different each way - easiest to quantify when you use a monopolar lfo shape, esp exp

Thanks for the answers !
Although, no any of them offers a decent solution, at least regarding my issue (great thoughts though !).
Indeed, i am currently using the A4 only as a synth, played with a keyboard. So no use of the sequencer. Lfo to trig doesn’t work because i want a fast ‘woggle’ on the cutoff.

you really should get to know the sequencer. it’s excellent

I’m fairly sure playing a note does the same things as trigging it via a sequence, so i’m not sure what your point is !

the op has a point. a smooth rnd lfo would be useful on the A4. i use them in most patches on other synths to add random organic-ish movements to sounds. send a support ticket to elektron as a request… i did last year, but maybe it will help if more folk declare thier interest.

1 Like

i agree it would be nice. but in fairness it already does so much more than i ever expected that really i don’t feel like it’s crucially lacking this one thing.

you really should get to know the sequencer. it’s excellent[/quote]
Oh, i do. I am just talking of my use of this specific sound i want to achieve.

when i used the word point, i was referring to the possible connection being made between trigging an lfo , a particular sound, and using the sequencer - > i’m all for a soft random or if there was ui room an lfo slew !

A Slew Generator would be a welcome addition.

1 Like

How about combining the random LFO with parmeter slides?

set LFO1 set to sine, then LFO2 set to random, modulating both speed and depth of LFO1…?
seems to work okay here, it’s not really a slewed random but kinda gets there…

1 Like

+1

i must try this ! thanks !

well at first i don’t use the sequencer when i play this sound (it’s a string machine like sound and play with a keyboard)
then i don’t think it will produce a slew effect unless the lfo rate is slower than the space between two steps.
But thanks for the input !

Just bumping this thread, would be a great feature to see. I’ll have to write a request.

2 Likes