Any Cyclists here? Show us your bike!

Wow lots of nice bikes here! I worked at a shop for six years and I certainly have a mechanic’s collection.

Huffy - a frame built by a guy on the internet. My road/gravel bike

Paramount - had an old coworker add a back disc tab. Currently has a basket, fenders, and dynamo lights. My commuter.

Vassago Jabberwocky - need the brake hoses trimmed. Also has a better saddle now. My mountain bike

SE Draft - my fixie beater. Need the hardware to mount the front brake.

15 Likes

Same one I use at work for loading scuba gear :slight_smile:
Electric version though :slight_smile:

12 Likes

here’s my bike friday haul-a-day cargo bike in full grocery getting mode. it’s currently been out of commission for a couple of years due to storing it dirty and caked with snow and rain in a damp cellar. all my bikes need at least some work, but this needs some TLC.

the other is my old commuter bike. it’s a 2009 cannonade CAAD9, made in usa. bought it from a dude who worked at a bike shop, so it came with a weird parts bin mix of components. i used to pull my son in a burley trailer to and from daycare/preschool, but it’s also really quick and responsive. a few years back, i replaced all the components with full ultegra 11 mechanical group, and it’s been smooth like buttah since. it also has a powertap G3 hub these days as my “B” or training bike. gearing is 52/36 up front, 11-28 in the back. the pedals are now look keo, and the saddle is a specialized power comp.

we’re lucky to live in a very walk/bike-friendly area. we basically take our car out maybe a couple of times a month to go to the grocery store or something, otherwise we just walk or bike everywhere. i do not want to trade this lifestyle.

8 Likes

Would love some advice, started looking at bikes few weeks ago and would like to get something. It’s just for exercise to go out for cycles in the evening and going on a nice cycle to the local beach so nothing fancy. Also i am on a budget as it is very likely the novelty may wear off and I’m left with a bike i dont need.

I have a slipped disc and sciatica and constant back pain for the last 10-15 years but its liveable. I would prefer a bike that doesn’t have me heavily crouched over and wondered what you all would suggest and how much you would suggest spending for a casual user on a budget. Also anything to avoid?

Thank you

people ask me all the time for bike buying advice. my standard answer is to get something that fits you. if you get a bike that isn’t comfortable or hurts you somehow, you won’t have any incentive to ride. for a long time, there was this notion that saddles and bikes in general would be painful and need “breaking in,” especially old racing bikes. we’ve come a long way.

if you want to buy new, check out local shops to try different styles. with your back issues, a more upright hybrid or city bike style would probably work well. make sure you take different brands/models on test rides to see what feels good to you. after you have some idea, you can either look for a used bike or go back to the shops. but you really should do some homework first. it’s a highly personal decision.

the nice thing about cycling is that it’s a low impact activity. there are people in their 50s and 60s who can destroy me on group rides, and i’m an okay cyclist. it’s possible to remain active and viable for a long time in cycling.

another thing to consider is a recumbent bike, which may be better for your back, but will not be easy on your wallet. most shops don’t carry them, so look around to find local dealers to check them out. they’re pricey but work very well for those who need them.

3 Likes

Thats great advice, thank you. We have a local Halfords i will go and try them out. I think i will check gumtree after as i like to recycle and if someone has a good bike not being used I’d rather give it a new home and of course save some money. Will check hybrids and city bikes first

Thanks again, very helpful :slight_smile:

If you’re in the UK, I’d swerve Halfords.

Find a local bike shop, or even a local bike repair shop/person and speak to them, that’ll usually get you a way better bike and they’ll set you up on it to suit you, saddle height, bars position, reach, etc.

I’d echo the type of bikes @rockpapergoat suggested, and also suggest a hard tail mountain bike (has front suspension) for a comfort/speed balance.

I’ve had a Dawes Discovery hybrid for years as my pub bike/runaround, and that’s been a great bike that’s quite upright, comfy and fast… have a look for a used one, as long as the frame/fork is decent, everything else is fixable/changeable.

4 Likes

:rofl: :+1:

21 Likes

The boss has entered the chat.

3 Likes

I will echo the sentiment that your LBS is your friend (at least I would hope!).

The best bike for the money is basically any mid-level hybrid from one of the major manufacturers. I’ve fixed many many Specialized Crossroads that are as old as me and the original components typically work just as well.

Used is fine there, but I’d recommend starting a relationship with a shop near you unless you plan on becoming a life long bike nerd.

If you want to be a nerd look into Sheldon Brown. He has an encyclopedic reference page for just about every bike made before the year 2000!

1 Like

3 Likes

Yeah everyone says avoid halfords. Was just going to go in to test their bikes :grinning:

luckily, there are many places to try bikes. if you get into a shop with high pressure sales, or if the place has a dodgy reputation, just don’t buy anything. i think there’s still value in trying a bunch of bikes if you’re new to cycling.

1 Like

…and then :+1:

12 Likes

I love cycling this Bianchi Oltre X1. My other bike is a Cannondale F5 hardtail mountain bike, which I use mainly on the road and gravel in rainy weather. It serves me well for 10 years now.

But the Bianchi is quite something. Definitely the best bike I ever had…

(Forgive me for using a Cannondale bottle on a Bianchi)

11 Likes

Never, never show this picture to Italians :wink:

2 Likes

My lasting memory of the raleigh grifter was on Christmas Day when i got one, they were just out that year and i never thought I’d be lucky enough to get one as was the 80s and like everyone we were skint but there it was. I was too small for it and could barely touch the pedals for a full cycle but of i went tearing down the street happy as could be. Thats until i pulled the front brake and somersaulted over the handlebars. Over 30 years later i still have the vivid image of seeing everything upside down in slow motion before connecting with the concrete and the bike landing on me. Spent Christmas nursing cuts and bruises. Was still out the next day on it, brakes loosened

4 Likes

My trusty Santa Cruz

6 Likes

No car, never had one, only a bullet by Harry vs Larry

10 Likes

My beloved Santos. For commuting daily 25km and in the holidays with camping gear. This is a picture, fully packed, from a three weeks solo trip from northern Italy to home (Netherlands). Somewhere in the Alps.

18 Likes