Anti-Ambient music_top-down design

I am Toms complete lack of diplomacy.

11 Likes

Tom is really Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, laying in hospital, anesthetized, poor thing. I’d take his/her opinion lightly.

4 Likes

Thanks for joining in the discussion everyone.

Tom hasn’t heard this next track yet

Upon private conversation with members of the community, google drive was deemed the ideal platform for uploading and hosting music, but not the ideal platform for user comfort and safety.

I am all about safety!

New audio will be uploaded to youtube.com instead of google drive
I understand this means that mobile users may not be able to access the audio without their devices unlocked and engaged. My deepest apologies for any inconvenience, but this inconvenience may be the definition of Anti-Ambient

However, new audio will be accompanied with animations, visualizations, and other moving images. Your batteries will not be discharged in vain.

Moving on…

This next track began with the former “anti ambient” approach.

I recorded nonsense with a really nice pad made in a soft synth. Six simple digitakt tracks were added, containing vocals and rhythms. At this point the track resembled the two earlier offerings in this thread

I wanted to take it a few steps further. I began to hear a guitar solo. I was imagining a Velvet Underground song. Thanks guys, you are always there when I need you

I layered two guitar takes and removed the original pad. I added a very heartfelt message.

The appropriate visuals have been added

The subscribers thing is a joke. I haven’t used my youtube account in eleven years old I’m not sure why folks are subscribed to me but I am dedicated to delivering excellent and consistent content to these people.

Some might call this “messy”, but I believe there in an uncoordinated aspect to all Anti-Ambient music. I use my first take whenever I can

I think I have lost the Anti-Ambient direction,
but we can all take this time to relax, reflect, listen to ourselves and to others, and to think:

“what does Anti-Ambient mean to me?”

17 Likes

Sounds like something I’d definitely be interest in hearing! Most music I make tends to lean towards the “listenable” side of things (depends on who you ask) but I always appreciate hearing how people works when they’re trying to create music that pushes boundaries. “Difficult Listening” is a great and digestible phrase too. Thanks!

@Fin25
Let’s do it!
I think music that doesn’t demand attention can hold a really important place in our lives and minds. Think of all the “unheard” things that influence you every day!

Although I think anxiety and tension can work under the context of Anti-Ambient, these aren’t motifs I am actively exploring. My Anti-Ambient work tends to relax or relay information.

I’d like to hear what you do with the concept!

@dtr @TobySD

“Relaxing” is a huge compliment. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

@Microtribe
I do not know what the hell you are talking about, so I did not love you post. I will look into these labels you mentioned, though. Thanks!

2 Likes

Is it “anti” anti-ambient to like this?

Reminds me of pepper by butthole surfers…

Thank you!

The rules of Anti-Ambient are up to you… that’s what this topic is for!

I think our new variety of music is poised to take advantage of a vast and undeveloped area of our craft. I would love to hear your interpretation of Anti-Ambient music

I’ll be listening to this Butthole Surfers song.

1 Like

This is great, however i think throbbing gristle at least partially deserves credit for inventing anti-ambient.

Can you expand on this? Do you have any documentation?

is this really anti-ambient or whatsoever? can’t find anything bad about it, quite on the contrary

1 Like

My definition of anti-ambient could be this:

3 Likes

Here’s documentation for ya

5 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Did we find out who Tom is? This is the biggest mystery in 2020…

9 Likes

I sincerely love that tune :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a catchy hook for sure. :grimacing: Sometimes i find myself humming the words to it myself, haha…

1 Like

Just got the endless not and TG now on triple vinyl, sounds amazing. TG really were the masters of unsettling music, I still feel sick just thinking about hamburger lady. If anyone deserves the title of anti-ambient OG it’s them.

4 Likes

Even though i agree, i don’t want TG to steal all of the anti-ambient thunder in this thread. Also, i too need to know who Tom is.

3 Likes

Does Tom happen to be related to cymbal and crash?

Is Mid Tom a sibling?

We need to brainstorm here people, it’s getting serious.

1 Like

tenor

This is AWESOME. Why? Unclear…