Anime experts—S.O.S.!

Sorry, I realized later you were looking for an actual anime show rather than a music video.

Art style preferences are a personal thing for sure. I like the contrast of simplistic character designs against the imposing industrial, post-apocalyptic cityscapes that they travel through. More often than not the backgrounds, machinery, etc. are drawn with greater detail than the girls themselves. I also like how they could be philosophically discussing what it means to be alive, then suddenly encounter some half-Godzilla sized robot that nearly kills them by carelessly dropping huge beams and bolts all over the place. I’m watching it for no extra charge on Amazon Prime. Other anime I am currently enjoying on Amazon Prime are Vinland Saga, Made In Abyss, and Wotakoi.

The annual membership for Prime is about the same as a year’s worth of subscribing to a competitor like Netflix or Hulu. Yahoo! was streaming anime for free until last year. Funimation also streams anime - looks like a similar deal to Crunchyroll in which you can stream some shows for free, but have to put up with loads of adverts, which go away if you pay for a subscription.

A later show which lovingly pays tribute to Future Boy Conan in a couple of scenes

2 Likes

yeah I was going to include that movie in op.
I seen it a couple times but each time I have, only about 75%.
I was thinking it could be from that one scene where they go to the destroyed city and someone recuses a girl or something from some punks.
-thought there was a car scene there but when I checked YouTube couldn’t really find it.
yeah could very well be tho. have to reactivate my prime soon.
thanks for sharing !

1 Like

im definitely checking all those…just don’t know when. thanks, really digging those titles.
have you seen any of those for sale physically before by any chance?
don’t know where to shop at for sort of vintage anime.
i prefer owning physical copies.
only online site I could think of is playasia but they mostly specialize in games.

All of them should at least have VHS and DVD releases - not sure if any of those have Blu-ray releases (except Patlabor the OVAs look spectacular).

Best bet would be looking on Amazon or eBay, I think…

1 Like

anyone seen or heard of this movie ?
stumbled upon it.
looks dope as hek tho.

i heard of the novels by Doc Smith, so called Father of Space Opera, but no library that I ever had access to (public library, school libraries, etc.) ever had the books.

Apparently the film adaption was done by Madhouse, which is a good enough reason to watch it. Not all Madhouse anime has great plot, great characters, etc. but you can bet the art quality will be pretty good.

Venus Wars could also be in that aesthetic/context (and another one with a glorious Blu-ray release) - very Akiraesque (yet I prefer Venus Wars nearly any day).

Found a couple of old-school…“ish”… titles on Netflix:

Code Geass Lelouch something - by the same company (Sunrise) that brought you Gundam. Takes place on a future Earth. Kinda Gundam-like in that there’s mecha fighting and political schemings, with rebels in Area 11 (formerly Japan) fighting against the tyrannical Holy Britannia Empire.

Devilman Crybaby - Both a tribute and a reboot of the early 1970s show Devilman. Not family-friendly - oh God no - if you like ultra violent dark fantasy, the legendary director Masaaki Yuasa’s efforts here won’t disappoint.

Code Geass turned out to be pretty good - ranks up there with the better quality Gundam titles like Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans and Gundam Char’s Counterattack as good quality mecha anime.

Devilman Crybaby was ok, but I was already biased against it because it beat out A Place Further than The Universe for 2018 Anime of the Year. There’s no denying some guys get into anime for sex and violence more than anything else and Devliman and other Go Nagai stuff is right up their alley.

On the nostalgia front I found She-Ra and Voltron. I laughed when I read that aging dude fans were really upset with the look of re-imagined She-Ra. J. Michael Straczynski’s response to that was gold. Anyway, it’s pretty darn good for a kids show.

I don’t remember 80s Voltron being this good. Every single episode of 80s Voltron would have a Monster of the Week. After whatever nonsense plot was made up to fill out the 30 min. episode, Voltron would finally bust out the giant sword and cut the Monster in half to end the episode. The remake is much, much better - better stories, more traveling around instead of waiting for the next Monster of the Week to show up to attack the Princess’ castle.

1 Like

We’re you ever able to locate the original show you were searching for?

i’ve been all over the place with the anime shows lately.

lets see if i can recap my watchings.

didnt get through evangelion the original series. just lost interest mid through i guess.
do plan on continuing just dont really care when.

then i moved onto gundam unicorn.
let me remind you this was my first time ever watching gundam.
it was dope tho, i liked it just moved onto something else mid way again.
i think it was due too all the fractions talking.
kind of tough to understand all the conflicts that were going on. but i will finish it eventually.
i know, kind of a rough starting point huh.

then tried watching ghost in the shell sac.
was cool. idk what happened but i should probably finish the series.

watched some of bna just the other day.
i liked it tho. although i was watching it here and there as background noise i think im going to restart it and watch it when im more focused.

and now i was just deciding to start seven deadly sins. seen that a new season was coming in august so i figured it might be kind of good if theyre still supporting it.

all these are on netflix btw.

oh and then there was 7 seeds somewhere also in the mix.
i liked that show. need to try and finish that…maybe.

will get back to the other shows you guys mentioned tho soon.

and about finding that show/movie…well it was kind of narrowed too that prime show, last tour or some other old school shows that were mentioned previously. just havent got around too any.

i heard retrocrush and also tubi i think it was that might be good to stream some of those older/rarer titles so im still getting around to checking that out.

now im just highly anticipating transformers:war for cybertron to release later this month.
that without a question im going to binge.

Future Boy Conan is my favorite show ever (maybe tied with Sense8)!

1 Like

End theme of BNA - if/when I get my hands on a Digitone/Digitone Keys I’m totally going to cover this song. I like the blatantly FM sound of that chordal riff

That led Shin Sakiura’s Youtube channel. He’s clearly a musical descendant of the Japanese “city pop” folks that inspired vaporwave and stuff like that.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1kllfJB_Ig99rW4kd7sBjg

Yeah, Gundam shows tend to have a complicated political backstory.

Gundam Wing made it to US TV because it’s relatively simple compared to other Gundam shows.

Finally started watching Gundam Unicorn.

I still like the Voltron remake a lot, but goodness what a difference in quality of animation and artwork.

I also watched a bit of Transformer War for Cybertron. I tolerated a few minutes. Hard pass on that. I obviously have a high tolerance level for cartoons and anime, but I do have standards when it comes to story and character development.

EDIT 2021:
Discotek Media is announcing a slew of old school titles being released on Blu Ray

1 Like

Thread hijack alert!!Sorry!
Found this thread,and thought to ask for advice from the anime heads:

I totally dig Blame!
(Not the full length anime,the log-s)
Asked around-searched,but never found anything not even close to it…
Blame! is the shit IMHO…
Could one of you guys recommend me something that’s similar?i dig gits and akira too,but they don’t give me the feeling Blame! gives me after watching (any) log from it…
Would be nice if someone could direct me to something similar…
Cheers!

Sorry, I’ve never seen Blame! GITS is the only cyberpunk anime I’m familiar with, that isn’t centered around some online game.

Sword Art Online is the video game virtual anime that seems to have influenced other shows. I didn’t care for it personally but it was really popular. Now there’s too many anime that takes place inside some kind of game world. “The Time I Was Reincarnated as a Slime” and “Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in the Dungeon?” are two shows of the “it’s in a fantasy world, but it’s all in a game” type that I thought were fun, but the rest just don’t interest me.

1 Like

watch ghost in the shell then ghost in the shell arise.

Not similar at all, but ‘Paranoia Agent’ is very worth watching…

2 Likes