Anime (and occasionally Asian cinema) recommendations / discussion

This thread is for if you want to recommend or ask for a recommendation of an anime series/film, if you want to discuss anime, or if you need help remembering an anime/series or film. Basically, in order to help keep the movie and comic book recommendations threads on topic and prevent the accumulation of similar scattered anime recommendation/anime related topics from bleeding into the rest of the forum. *Updated title to reflect appropriate discussion of Asian cinema as “on topic”.

I would start by saying there is so much material it really depends on your areas of interest but for me a recent sleeper production was Gyaru to Kyōryū or “gal and dino” really weird humor in the vein of pop team epic or nichijou

From a recent anime season I thought that Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute or “eminence in shadow” was entertaining beyond the shounen isekai vibe it gives off.

Something a bit more classic and undervalued is from legend Tezuka Osamu is Hidamari no ki or “tree in the sun” which is a story about a time when japan was rapidly westernizing and the impact it had on both medicine and the crumbling shogunate but from the perspective of an unlikely friendship between a doctor and a man who only knows a samurai way of life. Definitely seinen genre.

Also a wildcard here is Asobi Asobase which translates to something like “playtime club” or some other random name, which while it is about some girls in a school setting (I’m not that into school settings) it is not a school anime which is about “school” per se, but it is set in an afterschool club, it’s just weird and funny.

I could keep going ad infinite but I’d be interested to hear what anyone recommends although I’ve probably already seen it. If anyone wants a recommendation in a genre I’m sure someone can recommend something. If you can’t remember the name of something post up what you remember about it and we’ll try and help you out.

If you want to mention a manga as a reference it’s fine but if you want to discuss manga try @LyingDalai thread about comic books+ because it could use some love too.

Also when leaving a recommendation, if you can be bothered, try and leave a link to what you’re recommending so people who give up the search after 2 clicks can find it.

That’s it.

3 Likes

I’ll ask for a recommendation: I’m more of a tourist than an enthusiast, and so far most of my anime series consumption has been of the shounen variety. I love the world-building in these shows but I get bored by the paint-by-numbers stories. What should I move on to? I’ve seen most of the household name series.

1 Like

Well i have to recommend the movie/album which got me into anime way back when.

Coincidentally one of the best albums ever made as well.

Still have the DVD in my collection even though I can’t play it anymore… I will never get rid of it.

3 Likes

simply amazing.

3 Likes

What is an anime you enjoyed so I can grab a foothold of what you like

Ranking of Kings is probably the best modern anime as of late. Unusual animation style and storytelling but the story is really well crafted. Had me sobbing on occasions.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m gonna watch the latest episode now actually… I love the tone shift in season 2!

1 Like

some funny anime

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GVDHX8QNW/chainsaw-man

2 Likes

Real basic stuff, Evangelion, Hunter x Hunter, Cowboy Bebop, One Punch Man though I only saw S1. More humor is better.

I’ll definitely check this out!

older - similar to evangelion, maybe RahXephon

or

tengen toppa gurren lagenn

1 Like

cowboy bebop maybe

trigun (the original)

or

outlaw star

1 Like

hunterxhunter is not really my genre but let’s say

Macross 7

or

made in abyss (a bit darker than hunterxhunter though)

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34599/Made_in_Abyss

2 Likes

One punch man? maybe Tentai Senshi Sunred - animation is pretty basic but there’s humor in spades.

Also disastrous life of saiki kusuo

1 Like

Seen and liked both of these.

HxH is probably the series I’ve enjoyed most, just because of the wild cast of characters and storylines (jumping inside of a Playstation?). I started watching Made in Abyss because it looked beautiful and I loved the upfront worldbuilding, but I felt like the story got dull fast. I’ll look into Macross 7, haven’t seen that one.

How far did you get into made in abyss?

Frankly, macross 7 might be hard to get into without a history of macross watching. It’s a little goofy but I liked it.

Have you seen samurai champloo? it’s great.

that was pretty popular at one point.

2 Likes

Judging by the episode guide, looks like I made it through about half. It’s been a while though. I actually have not seen SC.

made in abyss goes from benign to shocking. I wasn’t that into it at first.

1 Like

The English dub is sooo good too, esp. the voices of the queen and Kage.

Crunchyroll got the dub before the sub at the time I started watching the show. I found myself enjoying Kage’s voice in English much more.

I’m also a tourist and I am glad to be just that, so I wonder if anyone could recommend something in a similar vein to Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers, basically anything as far removed from anime tropes and cliches as possible.

1 Like

complete the trifecta and see paprika

also by satoshi kon

The movie inception borrows heavily from it.

Also Mind Game (film) - Wikipedia

Masaski Yuasa is a great director.

1 Like