Anime (and occasionally Asian cinema) recommendations / discussion

Satoshi Kon was synonymous with Madhouse to me for a while. A legend who left this world too soon.

2 Likes

What’s everyone’s opinion on the top of the heap for mecha anime? Evangelion excluded.

In fear of dating myself, Mazinger Z :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh right, Paprika; thank you.

Mecha? depends. If you want newer maybe Iron Blooded Orphans the gundan series.

If you want humor, the television series for Patlabor

or Patlabor movies are more serious.

directed by mamoru oshii of Ghost in the Shell fame.

If you just want incredible animation and a moderately decent story that one from above tengen toppa gurren lagenn has really great animation and voice acting. It’s not that beautiful gundam hand drawn robot stuff though.

This is weird but I thought it was good. Sort of mecha but not strictly a fighting robots mecha, more like bio suit mecha.

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - Just about all Gundam anime are built around the “war is hell” theme but Mari Okada took it to another level with this one. Gets pretty dark and tragic, even by Okada’s standards but it’s ohh so good and to me this is peak Gundam

Char’s Counterattack - An iconic Gundam film.

Mobile Suit Gundam UC - A much shorter show, found on Netflix. A satisfying sequel to Char’s Counterattack.with updated visuals.

Gundam: Witch from Mercury gets hate from queer-phobes but I personally think it’s a promising addition to the Gundam repertoire. I’ve yet to start the 2nd cours though.

Patlabor and Ghost In The Shell are also good though neither are focused on space battles.

Honestly, I’m not seeing anything to be phobic of in witch from mercury. it’s pretty tame but I guess maybe from a gundam universe perspective it’s risque.

Those gundam unicorn movies and also the thunderbolt which are in that newer style are pretty entertaining also. I even enjoyed the movie about bright noah’s kid, hathaways flash?

Just for sheer weirdness I like turn A gundam, the characters were pretty out there.

Code Geass is quite good actually. Some annoying fan service in it though

That’s because you have not been exposed to Reddit.

1 Like

but I have been exposed to revolutionary girl utena so perhaps it didn’t strike me as anything but a bit of a plot grab from that when I started watching it.

Also Attack on Titan IS a mecha series and no one can convince me otherwise…

1 Like

I liked Code Geass though it does have problematic elements. CLAMP has always been notorious for uneven anime productions.

1 Like

Ping Pong the animation is amazing, surprising lack of mecha in it though.

1 Like

lol shingeki no kyojin is probably undercover mech. I really liked The vision of escaflowne but it’s about as much a mecha series as titan is, just the mecha are more clearly robotlike.

Btw have you seen the rewrites of the Evangelion series?

ping pong the animation is superb.

I would recommend in a similarly weird style, ongaku our sound

it’s like beavis and butthead meet wes anderson

you’re referring to the films that retell the series? yes. at least it has a proper ending.

Speaking of people who have trouble notoriously with endings… poor guy. Hideaki Anno has had multiple series end poorly due to budget constraints or psychological issues.

All Anime recommendations list need Cowboy Bebop

1 Like

cowboy bebop is about as classic as it gets.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been a rough ride. But I have to admit that I enjoy End of Evangelion the most. Don’t know if it’s the masochist in me or what.

1 Like

I found some of the calculated edits in the recent films a bit distasteful but who am I to argue with the creator finally being able to put it behind him?

I think end of evangelion was able to tell the portion of the story which needed to be told.