Andrew Weatherall RIP

I know. And there was Disgraceland a bit further down the road - a great music pub; could get away smoking spliff in there - now a tapas bar or something similar.

My missus and I married v. young, partly so she could stay in the UK. Didn’t have time or money for a holiday. We went to Sabresonic 2 on our wedding night, blagged free entry. A mate was running around telling folk we were on our honeymoon - at least half the club must of us wished us well: Weatherall sampled “congratulations” into the sampler and pitched it down and mixed it in. Unforgettable

17 Likes

I remember being clued in about Andrew in the 90s by an irish punter in san Francisco. RIP

1 Like

I’ve been reading and listening to interviews with him since the news. It has made me sad, happy in remembering and wistful…
In the late 80’s and very early 90’s I was listening to stuff like Silverfish/Gallon Drunk/Therapy?/Crass/Dead Kennedys/Black Flag/Minor Threat etc. when I stumbled onto an interview with Andy Weatherall in Select magazine. He was talking about taking acid and trying to direct the weather on top of Silbury Hill in Wiltshire. This fascinated me, I bought the Sabresonic album and…well, several decades of hazy memories pulse out from that emanation. He soundtracked long periods of my life, his punk attitude chimed and he swam the wrong way up the mainstream.
An influence on so many and seemingly humble with it.
I’ve never done this kind of public mourning before, so please excuse my ramblings.
Love and hugs to all those missing someone.

7 Likes

He was involved in many of my favourite albums, and amazing club nights (shout out to the Haywire Sessions, which nobody mentioned yet) but his club nights and radio shows also introduced me to loads of artists that went on to become firm favourites in their own right.

He was something really special.

Quite a nice short documentary about the great man…

5 Likes

AW60 @ Fabric

6 Likes

Holy crap that’s an incredible line up for AW fans, but I’ve already got tickets for orbital that night

thankfully, many of Weatherall’s groovetech radio sets from the early days of internet streaming have been preserved on this YT channel:

7 Likes

blocked for my country (EU)

Just sayin….

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/0B23ZLBzfzfvec3ZhVE1uV0JtSGs?resourcekey=0-9-B7TSh8fZ8WQfmd20YkQw

900+ hours of AW goodness.

2 Likes