Andrew Weatherall RIP

So sad x

So sadā€¦
Screamadelica is the first album that ever comes to mind when I try to think about ā€œdesert islandā€ records.
I bought obsessively every record of his I could find on many of my first visits to London in my 20ies.
Saw him DJ a couple times.
My introduction to electronic music.

1 Like

Truly awful news - I the pleasure of sharing a DJ booth with him at Corsica Studios once for a Kosmische Club anniversary night, and he seemed extremely pleasant - and played just the right set too.

1 Like

RIP Guvā€™nor!

1 Like

Sad sad news. :worried:

His remix/production work and records as Sabres are well represented in tributes but his Two Lone Swordsmen - Stay Down (on Warp) is one of my most favorite albums of all time.

2 Likes

:frowning:

He was a real nice bloke too. True gent.

1 Like

This album genuinely changed my life.

1 Like

I admit that I donā€™t really know much of his music beyond the mid nineties but his legacy in the early acid scene is what Iā€™ll remember him for, the Boys Own fanzine was legendary and he was a very key person in the early UK acid house scene.

G.R.O.O.M Rave in peace

3 Likes

He was a figure on the fringes of my consciousnes throughout my life.

Only recently (about 4 yrs ago) did I realise what the fuss was about when I caught a small-room set by accident (as you do). Proper underground fun and weird, deep and satisfying dance music. Timeless stuff.

I made a point of catching him at every opportunity since and loved it all. RIP.

3 Likes

Sooo sad
Terrible loss

An essential ingredient for my current self.

Godspeed! Lord Sabre.

:heart:

(A friend organised a party a few years back - we had Andy for 2 days. The first day he played acid house to about 120 of us - dressed up like a city slicker (black three piece white shirt and tie) - the next day he played psycho billy rock to about 50 of us dressed like a 1950ā€™s grandad, in a teepee, within the confines of a zoo.

Singularly, effortlessly, stylish)

8 Likes

:broken_heart: safe journeys brother.

1 Like

Iā€™m not one for public mourning and I didnā€™t know the man personally (unfortunately, I might add). However, over the years I realized in just how many things dear to me he was involved. If I believed in an afterlife my hope would be heā€™s hanging out with John Peel now, but alas I donā€™t. A true style icon and music connoisseur if there ever was one. As a friend of mine so aptly put it: ā€œthe king is dead, fuck any new kings!ā€

So sad.

I listened to the Tiny Reminders etc. quite a lot, but my real wake up call came when Two Lone Swordsmen put out From The Double Gone Chapel. I loved the dirty electronics of the late period TLS and that got me interested in Andrewā€™s other more recent work. I love his mix-cds which are always a complete journey with a well thought out sense of drama and continuity.

RIP, he was one of my absolute heroes.

4 Likes

He left us way too early

RIP

2 Likes

this oneā€™s hit me hard. Legendā€¦pioneerā€¦ all often overused terms. But not in this case. Shaped
much of my musical life.

Damn. Rest In Power.

5 Likes

Shocking news.

When I lived in London in the 90s I was a regular at Sabresonic 2, Circulation, Blood Sugar, Rotters Golf Club, also midweek sets at the Embassy on Essex Rd. Impossible to overstate how influential he was for so many. Also many long lasting friendships formed at his nights.

At Sabersonic 2 he used a modded deck with a spinback switch and reverse play, and threw a sampler a fx into the mix. I (and for sure many others) couldnā€™t figure out what the hell he was doing, ā€œis this still the mix, next track already, third track in the mix?ā€ In any case it was the business.

I rarely make it to London these days, but even from afar it feels like a part of the town is now missing.

This is obituary is worth a read

On the last night of Circulation he handed out t-shirts and the beautiful downtempo mix below on cassette

https://www.mixcloud.com/backintosh/andrew-weatherall-slow-your-circulation-part-1-1998/

9 Likes

alas, the Embassy is now a Costa Coffee.

2 Likes