Analog Rytm Standalone - thoughts?

I would be shocked if they do. New Digitakts are still selling at a premium, and ones on the used market are still priced close to new. The Digitakt/Digitone pair seem to still have a lot of product lifecycle in them, so from my admittedly outside viewpoint, I don’t see a lot of reason for them to do a DTMKII in the near future.

If anyone has any insider info to the contrary, I’d be happy to be wrong. Wait. no, I wouldn’t be happy, I’d probably want to spend money. :frowning:

2 Likes

they might not call what’s coming next a digitakt mk2 but I feel like their itching to drop something that incorporates everything they’ve learned from the rytm, digitakt and model samples development but that has more power than both… they keep putting out these new paint jobs… but. I know they wanna do another beat machine

1 Like

I’m also very tempted by the ARmkII, but I still wait the next Elektron release to decide myself. For us the poor guys, we can’t afford all theses beast by just GAS. The choice to spend a month of hard work to an instrument is critical.
If you check previous gears announcments from Elektron, it come generally between january and may. So let’s wait unti june.

5 Likes

mk1 since 2015.
Thought it might get competition with the TR8S, but it stays at No.1.

1 Like

Wow, that was excellent. Certainly one of the best examples I’ve heard showing off what the Rytm alone can do. Nice work.

I like your short track. No need to draw something out that doesn’t demand it.

Others here have said it too, but it the Rytm clicks, it just clicks. It’s by far and away my desert island synth.

There’s a few of us who made a couple of Rytm thread a while ago. There’s some awesome stuff in there that shows off the solo Rytm.

dfunk’s track above is sweet, and you can’t go past glo phase - plenty of inspiration there.

1 Like

One really nice thing about using velocity to modulate filter in the Rytm is that you can still manipulate the filter manually while a sequence is playing and it will effect every trig. correct me if i’m wrong, but once you parameter lock a filter setting on a trig, any live changes you make to the filter on that track will not affect p-locked trigs.

3 Likes

feels like a good spot to leave this: John Tejada – Live Rytm Trax (2018, File) - Discogs

Tejada says: "I wanted to write a new live set on my Elektron Rytm MK2. I use the Octatrack a lot but wanted to get away from any loops and stems. This keeps sounds a bit more honest when everything is really playing back as opposed to stems stretching etc.I like the filters in the Rytm a lot. So I approached it with a bit of MPC style production technique, loaded it up with little sounds I was making and started writing material for a new set. I thought it went well and performed it at a couple of shows. My friend Kenny Larkin always offered me his studio which has a great API console and some other things so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. It was great having him as a 2nd pair of ears and I sort of performed the songs down to a 2 track Tascam hard disc recorder. I didn’t think I’d record so many of the tracks, but 12 were recorded and 10 were used on the album. I didn’t actually intend to make a new album but here we are. I used to do a lot of production like this with my MPC and I sort of discarded that way of working and I really enjoy it. I feel the album is a sort of honest-no fuss representation of my sound. Sometimes less is more. "

7 Likes

It’s kind of an odd behavior. The value will snap to the movement of the filter knob, but will instantly revert back to the p-locked position once the knob stops. I like how the performance macros and velocity are ± values rather than set values, gives you the other flavor of parameter locking that some companies go with, one that responds to the placement of the parameters rather than just a single value of said parameter.

1 Like

Bit off topic, but just checking: I read in older posts elsewhere that the AR MKII does not send CC’s from the sequencer to external gear. Is that still the case?

Would be awesome if I could manipulate my video module via midi with plocks/trig conditions.

Neither mk1 or mk2 does send cc from the sequencer. Only notes.

The knobs and pads can send cc or nprn when turning/pushing them manually.

2 Likes

Oke, thx! Not a dealbreaker tho. Just as I decided to go almost entirely back itb, I was getting the worst GAS-attack ever.

Got a good price in NL (1455 euros), so I looted my piggy bank. :pig::pig:

One day I will learn how to behave like a responsible adult…

1 Like

I think this is a distracting starting point. Rytm is a deep 8 voice analog synth tailored for drums (and bass - I keep forgetting about the VCO :smiley: ), with a powerful sequencer. You’re paying for 8 channels of analog signal path; similar to one of the “big” analog polysynths (Prophet, Peak etc) or set of modular drums. If that doesn’t excite you, if you’re more into samples, it’s probably not the box for you.

1 Like

Damn. That’s set the bar high.

I have enough analog synths, if you’re familiar with sampling beat machines then you should understand what is unique about the Rytm in this regard, outside of running the samples through the rytm’s analog processing there are a slew of features that you can apply to samples that you can’t with any other box, well actually the Casio track former does have the fx scenes feature like the Rytm but it’s not comparable. So this is where I’m coming from with my question, not a distraction more rather a focus but thanks for your insight

Thanks for expanding on your perspective. After I wrote my comment, I found the threads on here about AR-only ambient tracks, and lfo-powered timestretching. I’ve had to realign my perceptions!

2 Likes

it looks like an incredible instrument the only thing keeping me from buying it is the feeling that they are working on something even better in this regard to come out in the near future… no inside knowledge of this but regarding elektron’s pattern history it’s quite possible

1 Like

I enjoy my RYTM way more when I use it as a stand alone unit. Everything is there !

1 Like

Thoughts…
AR and the Elektron gear needs a CAPS LOCK concept for the function button. If i want to listen something always have to press “function + yes” why not a toggle button for the function?
Much more practical. If u press stay on, if press again stay off.
With that u don’t have to press 2 buttons to access function functionalities.

2 Likes