Analog Rytm Standalone - thoughts?

I’ve been a fan of the Model:Cycles, Model:Samples and Digitone for quite sometime, but I REALLY like each of these on their own. I don’t like working in studios, hate syncing stuff / dealing with outboard effects, and want to make “full songs” on a single box from my kitchen table. Here’s an example of a Cycles jam I’d consider a short “song” and am happy with: Model:Cycles Sketch - Thunderbird - YouTube

I’m about to pull a trigger on an Analog Rytm mkii. I’ve dug through the manual and watched vids, but anything else I should know about?

The biggest reason the Rytm appeals to me is:

• has “Machines” like the M:C (though more specific to drum sounds, analog, and less flexible?)
  • also has samples like the M:S (good for Chord duty)
  • Kits sound like a cool feature (though may have cognitive overhead)
  • 12 pads/notes - good for reducing sample/preset locks, even though 4 are set up as choke pairs

Things that caught me off guard, but I’m okay with:

• certain pads/notes can only play certain machines
  • rigid polyphony structure (choke pairs instead of voice pool)

Any deal breakers I should know about before I drop some $$$$?

4 Likes

the machine restriction irks me a bit, as does the scene modulation limit (only allows for a small handful vs something like OT which allows tonnes).
only 1 lfo per track.

it sounds great tho and is a really good standalone unit imo.

however those things (and the pad interface - personal preference) are a deal breaker for me. I much prefer OT, MD, m:s.

2 Likes

What about the Octatrack? Fill it up with samples and it’s a lot more flexible for creating full songs than any other piece of gear out there.

3 Likes

I was eyeing one as well but I think an OT is way more fun as a standalone unit; capable of doing everything.

3 Likes

Loopop literally just dropped his review/tutorial of it within the last hour. I suggest digging into that one to see if it really ticks all your boxes.

20 Likes

I bought one for similar reasons, I was looking for a box that could do a lot of heavy lifting during song inception. I’m super happy with it, frankly I’m in love with this box.

I’d say, if you are fine, or better - inspired, by working within the confines of just your Model boxes or your Digitone on a full song, you’ll love the Rytm. I actually prefer the rigid polyphony structure on Rytm vs the Digitone - less to think about or plan imo.

I have the Octatrack as well, and to me personally, I don’t find it a ready and willing partner at the beginning of the song creation process (farther down the road it’s brilliant though). I may be the exception here, but for me the Octatrack shines when I feed it some tasty sounds created elsewhere.

6 Likes

Definitely good question. I think I’m more biased towards synthesis and limitations, so the Octatrack seems like too much? I do think I’ve disregarded it too quickly and should compare the two a bit more.

Oh shoot! Watching now.

2 Likes

This resonates strongly with me… thanks for the input!

1 Like

Am I correct in assuming you have other synths already? The OT is just so vastly more capable as a device than any other sampler or synth if you want to make full tracks that if you have a nice sample bank or other synths to make samples with, it would be a no brainer as there’s basically no limits to what you can do with it, despite it being somewhat limited as a modern sampler.

1 Like

Dual VCO is so good. Just running Kick, Snares, and Claps samples on the middle tom channels (you can always resample them internally off the analog machines on a MK2) so that you can run 3 voices of Dual VCO synths makes it incredibly capable as an all in one box for many electronic styles, complete with master dist and compressor.

Yea, it has restrictions. Analog synths typically do. But the voice configuration combined with sample playback make it more than capable. You just have to be willing to surrender to it.

I always found it was best to give myself some rules, such as “use all the Dual VCOs I can, fill up all performance and scene slots, make 4 pattern variations on the same kit”. If you force yourself to do those things, you’ll be making standalone tracks that don’t sound limited by the tool at all. Make 5 or 6 tracks using those rules, and then reassess. Maybe change the rules a little, and then repeat.

If you can make full songs with M:C that you are happy with, then Rytm MK2 will blow your socks off.

22 Likes

I think you could create your type of music with any Elektron gear. If you think the Rhythm will improve your tracks(i do), then go for it.

2 Likes

+10

3 Likes

TBH I find RYTM more inspiring than the OT. Sure, the OT is more capable, but you have to have a pretty serious plan going in. You can go for a ride with RYTM and come out with most of, if not all of a song in a couple hours.

8 Likes

for you rytm heads… if you completely disregard the analog part/benifits of the Rytm, in other words not including the drum synth… what would be your reason for choosing a Rytm over an Digitakt?

also I’ve asked this before but just to clarify you cannot record/sequence the performance or scene features on the Rytm right, and does rytm have recordable mutes?

Scenes, perfs, the filters, better handling overall, separate outputs, CV ins.

Only thing I prefer on DT is loop handling.

6 Likes

what about loop handling?

DT has LEN parameter AR has END parameter, AR has loop on/off, DT has loop position. Net result is that DT can do granular type stuff and more interesting loop manipulation.

5 Likes

thanks, hmm…

Kits / Kit Copy / Kit Browse / The ability for multiple patterns to reference a single kit.

3 Likes