Analog Rytm Standalone - thoughts?

I feel the Analog Rytm a very nice standalone unit, pretty fun and a lof of possibilities. I think that is more straightforward than OT, so it’s nice to grab it and start to make some patterns pretty fast. You can experiment of course and resampling and making sounds using the double vco; samples or both. I really recommend it.

Off topic: Your idea of use velocity as modulation source is pretty convenient but i see it a little cumbersome. Why not Parameter Lock a bunch of steps to give it that kind of life instead of program the modulation page? I feel it more slow and not as precise as doing it by step and to your liking.

Two reasons:

First, velocity is not counted in the parameter lock memory, so if you are going particularly crazy with p-locking everything in existence you get a few extra knobs per track to play with.

Second (the real reason) is more of a philosophy type of thing. I usually like to be imprecise with my velocity settings, just aiming for general ranges like 0-30, 30-60, 60-90, etc. rather than fussing between 64 and 65 so throwing a bunch of parameters on velocity is my way of saying “just change these parameters in this direction I don’t care by how much” where as p-locks are more for me wanting to hit a specific value. Like if I want the distortion to go down when I have a quieter note, I’d rather it just go down then have to think about the value I want it to go down by, so just having to turn one knob instead of a bunch is nice for precise imprecision if that makes any sense.

3 Likes

This is something I wanted to mention to the OP. You can use velocity and aftertouch as sources of modulation for almost any parameter. Using the velocity to modulate filter frequency and decay is one of my favorite thing to do. The Rytm with all of its firmware updates is a very deep box. I have an OT and a DN as well and love them all, but the Rytm is my favorite.

4 Likes

If you learn to play with the velocity modulation, you don’t have to use the sequencer.

1 Like

This has turned out to be the best thing for me :slight_smile: Elektron sequencer.

1 Like

Check this:

And remember that p-locks and “older-than-SP404” resampling are the solution when 1 LFO is not enough ^^

5 Likes

Been using it this way since the update. Though the dual VCO sound did kind of dictate the direction I went in. The BT machine is more than good enough to replace the BD, and a sampled snare layered on a flat Tom works nicely too.
But if you want the ultimate in stand-alone…

3 Likes

Haha I had to Google that. Damn that’s not photoshop…cool!

I have Rytm MKI for two years now and if I want just lay down on a sofa and mess around with one piece only (I have bigger modular unit, Octatrack, effects and some other synths) Rytm is the thing that I will take. It is everything I always wanted in one box. It has its limitations, but this promotes creativity and at the end of the day, this machine is super flexible, sounds like million bucks and I love to work with it.

11 Likes

I currently using my ar mkii as standalone - I really love working this way and find it inspiring having the hard limits of the machine. However, when I want to expand its pallette a bit without the faff of other hardware synths, I connect it to iPad via usb

Using iPad pushes these limits out loads - i personally use it as send effects unit for the high tom tracks.

This feature of the ar is amazing. I can load a longish sample or recording, normally pads or melody from my digitone or Typhon, effect it in AUM with various audio units (more textural reverbs and rythmic delay type stuff), and send it back to main out of the AR seemlessly. Really neat setup and perfectly acceptable to operate whilst lounging about.

3 Likes

agree you can easily use the Octatrack as drum, pad and bass machine for full songs. I do that for live shows in the past plus love using movie and anime samples to bounce with the beats. Rytm would be great to pair with the Analog 4. But if you can only have one Elektron, the Octatrack is the one to get in spite of the deep complex learning curve. It is the swiss army knife of the Elektron family.

My post isn’t really about the AR, but the idea here of doing complete tracks with just one box triggered the thought that I might as well just weld my Digitakt and Digitone together. They seem to be mated for life in my setup, and I can do satisfyingly complete music with just the two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which iPad apps do you use with your Rytm? I just got an iPad this week and am trying to get my head around how I can incorporate it with my Rytm and A4.

Why did you do this to me when I was so content with my setup? :sob:

Seriously, that’s some beefy, groovy and musical stuff right there.

1 Like

Indeed. My bad ^^
But the lesson @George_Michael was giving then is “one box”. And a pair of gloves.

At the moment I use AUM with yaled, a few of the dram bos apps, black hole. I recommend watching the haq attaq YouTube content on iPads apps (and of course the elektronauts thread). iPad and ar make a great combo imo.

Great setup… I use the sp404 kind of like that.

You can’t get each track as a individual audio input in AUM using USB, isn’t it ? You have an audio interface.

No, you can’t send individual tracks of AR to individual tracks of AUM via usb. You can send 2 AR tracks at a time to one in AUM, which is enough for me.

1 Like

Next weekend I’m doing a small set, planning to do it just on the Rytm. Intend to also do some live sequencing / step programming, so velocity modulation is a great tip. If I just set some modulation parameters for velocity in advance I’ll end up with more movement and dynamics in my improvisations I imagine. Nice.

Also curious to try out this weekend if I can use the Rytm headphone out as a a send-return via some FX going full wet back into the Rytm. If I’d just use my H9 on top of the Rytm it’s all super compact but might add some fun. Any experiences here using external effects on Rytm going back into its own inputs?

1 Like