Analog rytm mk1 glitch & sync issues during recording

hey guys,

i have an imac (late 2015) with mojave 10.14.6
2,8 GHz Intel Core i5
Live 10
overbridge 2.0.19.2 beta
analog rytm mk1 os 1.46 beta
buffer size 128 (in both live & ob)

it’s difficult to record uninterrupted audio jams without experiencing glitches.
I have been trying to record into ableton with each drum on a separate audio track via overbridge.

At first the recording sounds great, but at some point the recording will start to glitch/ dropout/distort, this usually lasts around 2-3seconds and sometimes sounds as though the analog rytm is speeding or pitching up, then it will continue as normal. It can happen at any point but seems particularly prone to happening when I use the mute mode to bring drum channels in and out of the mix or change any parameters. It usually runs quite stable when i don’t touch anything. I have tried various changes to the settings to get round this but with little success.

and as said it’s (usually) only when recording the session. when just playing around everything runs mostly smooth, but as soon as i hit record in live it starts getting these glitches and tempo changes.
cpu is around 15-20%.

would appreciate any help, thx!

guys, fyi, i did upgrade to the lastest analog rytm os & overbridge version after this post. still the same issue.

anyone, please?
i’m on 8gb ram, that shouldn’t be an issue, right?

hey guys,
no reply here.
i submitted a ticket with Elektron support too 10 days ago. no reply there. anything else i can do? really want to get this problem solved.

I’ve posted on this before.

Probably your I/O buffer is too low (the main symptom being very glitchy, bitty, distorting sounds). First try to up the buffer size.

Other than that, it seems like that’s just Overbridge: tons of drop outs (constantly needing to unplug USBs to get the deviced to be re-recognized) and glitching (spouts of random noise).

Fun stuff.

hey, thanks for the reply. yep i figured that too, but the buffer doesnt change a thing. it’s on 256 now, no improvement at all.
and the glitches aren’t the majority of the problem. it’s mainly the sync. usually 30 sec into recording (sometimes even 10) the sound just breaks up. usually it comes back in sync, but after a while it comes back out of sync, sometimes in the right tempo, sometimes in a slower tempo.

again, this only happens once i press record. i’m mostly fine when just jamming around before recording.

could it be the last mojave is too heavy (or overbridge too light?)

you said: “constantly needing to unplug USBs to get the deviced to be re-recognized”
i don’t need to do that at all, it always recognises it.

and is it normal elektron support is ignoring me? i paid a lot for this machine, i hoped they would at least answer me.

They are not ignoring you, but they have had a lot of delays in replying to tickets in recent weeks and so they are prioritizing hardware faults.

Having the same issue here! Not affecting my workflow a lot, but I’d like to know if there is a solution. Signed up fo a thread! :grinning:

That is still very low for your specs. Do a quick google search about it.

Does it happen to you when recording analog too? I would start to filter the problem. If it happens with normal recording, it’s not overbridge. After that I would reduce the amount of channels going over overbridge, try a different USB cable and so on and so on, until you have found out where the problem is. I think support can help a whole lot better then and you will save time.

hey, i first doubled it to 512. it was much better. it took 3 minutes till it broke up.
so i upped it to 1024, then it started after 1 minute. i can’t really understand why it would happen sooner at a higher rate.

hello, thanks for the useful feedback.
no it does not happen when recording analog.
i reduced the amount of channels to just 2 and that doesnt help.
will search for another cable tomorrow, the one i’m using is the one that came with the rytm though, should work, no?

i’m still fearing overbridge is just too light for the last mojave update, although friends have it running without a problem…

could it be that 1024 is worse cause Overbridge buffer rate only goes to 512 max?

Look it up. Lower requires far more computing power.

Just keep trying to rule things out.

One more thing to try is to use different USB ports. If you are plugged into a hub, that might be the issue. If you can rule all that out, it’s probably on the software side.

of course, but like i said: when i put it to 1024 (= higher) it fucks up sooner

(late) update: tried different cables, ports (i don’t use a hub). no improvement :frowning:

checking a few different things, could anything be wrong in my rytm settings itself?

clock receive on
clock send off
transport receive on
transport send off
prog ch receive off
prog ch send off
out port func midi (not using this)
thru port func midi
input from usb
output to usb
ouput ch auto ch
param output nrpn
encoder dest int+ext
pad dest int + ext
pressure dst int + ext
mute dest int + ext
receive notes off
receive cc/nrpn off

Higher number means slower rate.

There could be other factors, so unless you’re doing multiple tests, one example isn’t very informative.

No.