Analog mixer for studio / live techno

I know it was discussed before here and there, but still I need an advice.

I’m looking for opinions on analog mixer for studio and live. My old Allen Heath Mix Wizard 20:8:2 is starting to show age - noisy pots and drop outs, impossible to play, too annoying… and small old Mackie 1202 is dead.

I want a mixer with nice preamps and saturation to experience some heat and character before DAW. A&H always sounded a bit too neutral and clean to me, ok but nothing more than that. Mackie sounded punchier, but more lo-fi. I’m definitely not interested in top notch sounding mic pres or surgical eqs, need a mixer for “punky” electronics, analog machines, modular, live techno etc with right analog character.

I worked without mixer for last years, using RME interface, which has really nice mixer, but despite it’s very nice and handy, it’s too sterile and doesn’t give that sound even with post processing, at least it isn’t as immediate as with hardware.

So I’ve got an offer for Midas Venice 160 in “new” condition, seems like a nice choice, had nice experience with it in clubs. Is it as cool for recording? How you record with it?

For recording I would like to have 8 assignable outputs (like assignable groups or post fader channel outs ) to feed into RME.

Any other solid options for around €1000? Like 8 mono / 4 stereo / 4 auxes would be ok.

New would be better probably, but I doubt any new console will deliver that alive and punchy sound.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

1 Like

8 mono ? 4 stereo ? 4 aux ??

I can recommand the Keith McMillen K-Mix

Really solid , small format , you can recall 16 “presets” of mix , plenty of aux , good sounding (to me)
Really good for studio AND live use

The other solution could be the Tascam Model 12 , but i cant tell how it performs , i dont have it :3

3 Likes

I got an old early 90’s Soundcraft Spirit and it’s certainly adds that sound to me. It was fairly popular back then, exact same unit Sqaurepusher used.
Cost me £30.

I saw a mk1 Mackie VLZ 4 bus go for 130 on ebay this time last week too. I think ebay is a gold mine for old mixers if you have some direction, they’re just not in demand.

4 Likes

I used to have (still have it but on sale…) a MODEL1.
Have now moved to a Midas Venice 160.
Routing is excellent:
8 mono INs or line with insert, direct out
4 stereo line INs or mono
4 sub groups + inserts
2 main out (1 stereo with insert + 2 mono)
2 FX send
2 aux sends
2 monitor sends
4 stereo returns
1 tape out/in
Cannot vouch enough for this board.
Sweepable EQ on hi mid and low mid has changed the game for me. EQ on Midas may sound sterile but it is very precise. Nothing to do with my old Mackie 1402.

3 Likes

Very true

1 Like

Multitracking sub groups and Master or only master. Depends on the mood :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might also want to check the Allen & Heath GL series (2200/2300/2400, etc) for some used bargains on eBay. Might possibly be too physically big for you if you’re looking to gig with it in the future (hopefully!).

1 Like

Ibanez RM80

1 Like

I’d really like a 2400 but it’s bigger than my entire desk (which is admittedly quite small)!

1 Like

yeah Tascam 12 could be a nice tool for gigs, also consider it as additional board.

2 Likes

Never seen one before! Could be cool to try it as a sub mixer for drum machines.

1 Like

I guess 160 has direct outs on first 8 mono channels. Are they post fader?
Probably its + sub groups.

Sub groups are mono, right?

It’s not too flexible for recording, but still will work for me I guess. I got 8 channel RME for recording, so I can record first 4 direct outs + 4 subgroups, for me more than enough for 1 take.

I mix usually ITB,

More important is the sound and the overall experience as a compromise between studio / live “techno” mixer.

If you can find one I would recommend the soundcraft ghost, I own the 24 channels and routing is great. I have the exact same routing as yours with a rme fire face 400 set up with groups from the mixer. You can send the rme outs to the soundcraft tape inputs and switch from line to tape channels so you get all your rme sounds from daw back in the mixer quickl without removing any cables.

You can find one for 1k depending your location.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I remember Ghost looked so cool back in the days. Maybe a bit too big for my needs, but will check if there are some options to get one.

The 240 is actually seen very much in the studio as well as live for that matter.

GB4 24?

I wouldnt want to move my Ghost very often. hehe. But i find it awesome in the studio. If you want something smaller there is the Allen & Heath GS1. There is one guy in this forum that just got one. Dont know how it compares to the other AH mixers you have tried, but it looks very flexible for its size.

The ghost serie.

I would not recommend moving it on tour without an adequate case. Very heavy but I believe it has enough routing to be use on stage. Otherwise it is super handy for studio, all I need now is a patch bay and more cables.

4 Likes

Gotta remember to add the cost for the roadies

2 Likes

That mixer seems very inviting to work on. If I at some point have more studio space I will definitely be getting a console.

What do you want to use the patchbay for? I stopped using my patchbay after i got the Ghost, as i have so much flexibility in the mixer itself. And like that i have everything connected at once. But it might change if i get more hardware effects like eq’s and such.

1 Like