Analog Keys only - Let The Funk Commence

My first track with an Analog Keys only, mastered through a Heat.

It’s brief, but it’s the opening of a set I’m working on for a summer gig, so any and all feedback is as usual very much appreciated. The entire gig is about half an hour, all in all much in the vein of this opening, with the rises and drops of any set worth its pacing.

16 Likes

I dig it! Guess you aren’t done with Elektron after all :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks😊guess not😊

That’s a good track. Looks like I need to dust off my analog keys and track out some ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very kind of you to say. The Heat’s doing a lot of the work here. As it gets more intense, the envelope kicks in and adds more movement through filter changes. Quite a fascinating device, the heat.

2 Likes

Inspirational is a good word. Reminds me of old Warp Records, especially Squarepusher.

Just wondering, what type of sequencing structure do you have across the voices/sequencer tracks? 1-2 drum sequencer tracks? How do you get such precise stutters without retrigger?

Sounds amazing either way!

2 Likes

Thanks, it makes me really happy you say so. Squarepusher - you flatter me, sir.

I use Track 1 for the kick, I use Track 2 for hats and snares, Track 3 for lead and Track 4 for bass. However, I tend to approach them more for their character than their actual sounds, so Track 1 is for kicks, but I also use p-locks and conditionals to make the kick sound work as a low end percussion instrument as well. So it’s both a solid kick beat and then some toms going on there. Same with Track 2, I ues it for the hats to open and close them with p-locks, but also to and and remove noise just for added white noise flavour. The lead track has a set of conditionals going on that underlines the bass from time to time, so it actually acts as a complement to the bass, and the bass track has a separate p-lock pattern going on with conditionals, where it’s playing chords in the higher end. I use p-locks to change the two oscillator pitches and shapes to create this effect.

I’m not sure about the stutters, what do you mean? I’d be happy to answer. I do use the delay effect tweaked to snap quickly back, which might create the stutter you’re refering to. Also, the tempo’s quite high, 141BPM, and I use a lot of velocity changes in both the kick and the snares, which might create an effect of stuttering.

3 Likes

Nice track! I like it

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and say so.

Even though it’s just intended to open a small show, I still wonder if it’s kind of short.

Though I guess that depends on what comes after, and I’m working on that now. So maybe the jury’s still out on that one.

I think the length is ok as it is. If you make it longer it might need a separate part.
It’s really nice, has certainly old Warp/Aphex/Squarepusher vibes.

Inspires me to finish some demos I made on the A4 only :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, my god, you flatter me with comparisons to the titans. I blush and must have coffee now, to calm down.

I’ve been thinking about adding a few sampled textures to this, but it’s pretty thick as it is. I think adding more layers would just distract it, which only goes to show how far the four tracks of the Analog Four / Keys can take you. Once you put them all to work, there’s really not a whole lot of room for anything else, anyway.

1 Like

I like it - simple, lots of space to enjoy the rhythms.
If only I could take my own advice!

1 Like

What advise would that be?

Excellent! @andreasroman

I hope you record the entire set for us.

1 Like

To keep it simple and let the music breathe. I stack ideas like pancakes.

1 Like

Pancakes, however, are quite lovely and can’t be had in any other way than in stacks :blush:

Thanks, man :blush: I will, once it’s done, for sure.

It would be profoundly cool to do a whole set on a Keys only. Listening to this, it sounds like you could pull that off.

3 Likes

A happy un, reminds me of dogs

hope you enjoy building the gig man!

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, that’s the plan. I’ll play all the leads live, and work with the performance macros and pattern changes as well. The rest will be all sequenced and automated.

I’m going for maybe half an hour’s worth of music, and got solid ideas for about ten so far.