Analog Keys only - Let The Funk Commence

Thanks😊it’s fun, for sure, and I love being back at the keys again. I wasn’t done with Elektron, as it turns out, I was just done with groove boxes.

1 Like

Stick to the plan. If you stay with the Keys and the Heat only and create a nice video of your performing your set, you’re almost guaranteed a blog post on all the gear sites.

1 Like

erm, I always got the feeling that you’re more of a ”keyboard player / looper / multitracker” kinda guy anyway :nyan:

1 Like

Didn’t even think of that. That’s a pretty good end game, for sure. I’ve got a gig lined up for the summer, it’s a low-key one so it’ll be a first dry run for this set. If that flies, then perhaps a proper video might be something. Great idea! Thanks.

Yeah, for sure. I’ve always known that and just compromised on the wrong end of my preferences. I had this idea that funky in a box could work, despite my love for the keys. But it didn’t, for me.

I mean, I’ve played all my life, who was I kidding? Myself, mostly.

Sometimes its good to discover what works by figuring out what doesn’t. All good and towards the better in the end!

2 Likes

Essential, even. I think we forget that when we go on these gas journeys, it’s a way to find out what works for us and not. It’s unfortunate that gear is expensive and sometimes hard to come by, but how can you know what’s groovy for you or not, if you don’t give it a proper shot? So for the dedicated musician, frequent rotation of gear can very well be the equivalent of sitting down by the piano hours per day. It’s another kind of practice, but it’s practice all the same.

1 Like

cool track although talking of the aforementioned space, the funky complextro restrained shuffle is fabulous but then after 16 bars my senses would enjoy a simple ride cymbal toning just once each beat or bar even … then back to the intriguingly intertwined bass and percussion celebration.

possibly vary the melody with something that starts low (from a fifth below the tonic and quickly ascends a ladder in 16ths to culminate in a tweaky note with a bit of reverb on it.

1 Like

Now we’re talking. Great feedback. I can definitely hear a ride replacing the hats as the piece takes a short break, and then drops again. Very cool. Thanks.

1 Like

In general, I don’t intend to work with all that many elements to finish this set. I tend to look at the kit I’m using for this track, as my band. So I’ll make variations of it throughout the tracks, but much of it will stay the same or similar, to make it consistent over time.

So every addition, won’t get used just once but all over the place. Throwing in a ride here, will make it appear in many other places as well.

I’m working on the next piece now with the lead sound as foundation. I’ve tweaked it to some extent, since the next one’s more powerful with chords and progression, but you can tell it’s picking up right where this one left.