Analog Keys - New LCD Screen

Thanks for advice. I do t have the knowledge or tools for it but I know some who do :slight_smile:

Would you say the resistance pot is needed?

Hi James,
What you need to do is put a resistor on either the ground or +5v, which will create a voltage drop and trim it down, the connection points I can’t help with, your machine will differ to the AK but if you know where ground or +5v connections are then it should be easy. You can play around with resistors but maybe start with a 10K pot but this is up to you. It was too late for me, once its soldered down that’s it, its really tight so no access, you need to cut the original pin and short cut with the pot resistor.

Hi Credo, honestly no but it would be cool if it was black and white. Mine is dark blue and white but still very clear to read and far more contrasty than the original screen and no fading off the edges. Having said that, if you are going to replace the screen and you are in there anyhow, I would definitely spend a little more time and tune in voltage and screen with the pot.

1 Like

I’m being lazy here and just asking but is there a compatible oled screen for the mk1 a4

Hey thanks. I just found the screen on eBay last night. I’ll breadboard it so should work out fine. Thanks for the idea :thup:

@swiss They’re on eBay and A4mk1 compatible. At least it says so in the description.

1 Like

It should be exactly the same screen as the AK.

Ah…breadboarding it is an excellent idea! Please share some pics of your process, would like to see please.

Yep. Measure twice, solder once :wink:

2 Likes

Guys i cannot believe this topic.

That means i can try to change my DT and A4mkii to an E ink screen ?

Cause my eyes are really sensitive and i cannot play anymore with the instruments and use pc for few minutes…

G’day,
Digitakt and A4 MK2?
Not sure why you would change these screens, they are awesome already. It’s the MK1 products with the a very ordinary LCD screen like the AK and A4 MK1 that could do with the upgrade.

1 Like

Have you tried layering tinted plastic over the screen?

1 Like

I completely misread the original post, yes, this is great idea. You could use an adhesive tint, the small rectangular groove around the screen is just enough of a blade guide to trim the tinted plastic to size after install.
Or, you could open it up and install a pot resistor ;-(

Not for my eyes!

Tinted plastic means placing a more darker plastic over the screen?

Could work for a while but its not a solution

Use Overbridge.
Most computers have colour invert and some do greyscale with invert, for ppl with visual issues. You should look into that.
There’s the standalone OB if you don’t want to use a DAW.

2 Likes

Any links for this screen on eBay, or should I just buy this from reverb? The guy selling the screen on reverb doesn’t respond :frowning: So I’m a bit nervous about it.

LED Display Upgrade - Elektron Analog Four Heat Keys Rytm | Reverb

1 Like

I did it on my Digitone, see here, obviously you can use whatever colour you want:

Very easy and cheap to do.

Just wanted to share:

That screen drops right in. You also don’t need to add a resistor to change brightness…there is a trimpot built into the analog keys (and other MK1 units) for adjusting the screen brightness.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! Definitely a good option to have. I like the one on Reverb but it’s significantly more expensive! I have been considering grabbing a spare screen for my A4 MkI just to have as a backup. I got my A4 new from Sweetwater right as the MKII models came out. I feel like there is quite a bit of time left on the screen - but having a dependable spare would be cool. Am I crazy for considering the yellow screen option?

mind if i ask if you’re posting this after fitting one yourself?