A4 as a brain!

Digitakt makes certainly more sense in the brain scenario.
A4 is amazing though :slightly_smiling_face: but for me as a synth in the first place

3 Likes

I’ll remember it :wink:

Ah I thought you already have the A4.
I’d buy DT or DN first, then A4 !

4!

A4 can send up to 16 midi notes at a time (4 max per step / track)

I’ll add DN is also very good for drums you can plock at each step.

1 Like

Also consider the Analog Keys. In addition to what the A4 already has, you get a very nice keyboard (Fatar TP/9S unweighted with aftertouch), hold button (to hold notes, arp) and a midi controller mode. No cc sequencing, though and the midi controller mode only provides 10 assignable ccs (I guess per global, so switching between the four global settings could give you different sets of cc and/or different midi channels) and the joystick sends modwheel cc01 (up), breath control cc02 (down) and pitchbend (left/right), so the AK would make more sense if you’re primarily looking for cv sequencing + some midi control with a good keybed in a nice package - not so much for midi sequencing.
Great for sequencing and modulating cv, tho!

AK combined with an OT or DN or DT would make a pretty decent midi sequencing/cv sequencing and midi controller package!

I always have my AK’s midi controller mode set to OTs autochannel, so I can control and record into the active track on OT.
A4/AK has no note retriggering/ratcheting and no p-lockable arp - but the Octatrack does and also can retrigger notes on midi tracks.
Elektron machines are really meant to play together.

Used prices for Analog Keys are usually around 800€, crazy for what you get. :wink:

3 Likes

Ahh, I‘d like to swap my A4 for a AK, but my A4 has a light display issues. Not sure if I can sell it like that…
Sorry for off-topic, but lately I‘m really thinking the AK is really adorable

2 Likes

Changing the display is pretty straight forward and you can get them from about 25€ to 100€ (for fancy looking black white/blue white LED) Check this this thread.
Not sure how much Elektron charges for a new display, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, drop them a message. :slight_smile:

And yes, the AK is great! Feels very much like a complete instrument, if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve considered the AK, but unfortunately is out of my budget!
Great instrument!

I saw a few around 650€…

Perfect size with 2 Elektrons above (not the huge AR/A4 MKIIs), almost same width. @Schnork you also have AR MKI ? (And OT of course).
Missing midi arpegiator…

Oh wow, 650€ that’s a steal!

And yes, I have OT mk1, AR mk1 and AK.
:elot: :elan: :3lektron:

2 Likes

Feels like the Analog Keys are going for real cheap because the typical groovebox elektronaut crowd doesn’t want/need the keys so opt for the slightly cheaper Mk1. Meanwhile the key ticklers will find 37 keys too limiting, and usually prefer a more knob per function interface.

I’m also seeing multiple AKs listed at around €600-650. Crazy to think they were going for €1500 5 years ago.

3 Likes

It also lacks Direct Change options, a deal killer for those who don’t want to live in a bar length jail cell

1 Like

3 AKs at that price here in France :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/elektron/analog-keys/petites-annonces/

2 Likes

Wow that is a stupid low price, once A4 production stops the prices of AK will probably go like SFX-6 even though it wasn’t as limited production, the outputs, keys and joystick are very nice to have, it is my only keyboard (proper).

2 Likes

big plus for the desktop versions is that you can easily send them to elektron if there‘s an issue. More struggle with keyboard versions. At least for me.

Digitakt would do better if you don’t need cv.

What are you referring to here?

DT/DN note lengths are in step values.
OT’s have unsuable weird values with a few explicit values, and no snap to exact with knob press or Func + knob.

2 Likes

I understand now. I thought you were saying the OT had a better way of representing note lengths. If that was the case, I wanted to know what i was missing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts too

Some track a I use the digitakt just to sequence midi, it is a beast in that regard. Especially considering it’s step locking CC potential and step probability, up to 4 note polyphony per track also. Also one beast of a sampler.

1 Like