Analog Keys - New LCD Screen

I completely misread the original post, yes, this is great idea. You could use an adhesive tint, the small rectangular groove around the screen is just enough of a blade guide to trim the tinted plastic to size after install.
Or, you could open it up and install a pot resistor ;-(

Not for my eyes!

Tinted plastic means placing a more darker plastic over the screen?

Could work for a while but its not a solution

Use Overbridge.
Most computers have colour invert and some do greyscale with invert, for ppl with visual issues. You should look into that.
There’s the standalone OB if you don’t want to use a DAW.

2 Likes

Any links for this screen on eBay, or should I just buy this from reverb? The guy selling the screen on reverb doesn’t respond :frowning: So I’m a bit nervous about it.

LED Display Upgrade - Elektron Analog Four Heat Keys Rytm | Reverb

1 Like

I did it on my Digitone, see here, obviously you can use whatever colour you want:

Very easy and cheap to do.

Just wanted to share:

That screen drops right in. You also don’t need to add a resistor to change brightness…there is a trimpot built into the analog keys (and other MK1 units) for adjusting the screen brightness.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! Definitely a good option to have. I like the one on Reverb but it’s significantly more expensive! I have been considering grabbing a spare screen for my A4 MkI just to have as a backup. I got my A4 new from Sweetwater right as the MKII models came out. I feel like there is quite a bit of time left on the screen - but having a dependable spare would be cool. Am I crazy for considering the yellow screen option?

mind if i ask if you’re posting this after fitting one yourself?

Thanks for sharing.
Does anyone know where the trimpot is located for adjusting screen brightness on the MK1 units?

Yes this is after putting this exact same screen in a Mk1 Keys. There is nothing special at all about the screens the guy is selling on reverb…He’s using these or something similar…attaching a pin header and adding 75% on to the price. There is no true “black background” LCD because of technical limitations.

As far as I remember the trimmer for contrast is about an inch or two to the right of the LCD on the Keys, on the main panel board. If you’re unsure, follow the traces from the trimpot back to the screen to make sure its the correct one.

2 Likes

I should mention its the same with the VFD conversions offered on reverb (same seller…for elektron units) No need to pay $xxxx when you can order the part and simply at most move one small part around and save a ton of $$. The seller somewhat rubbed me the wrong way. If you need help changing a screen in your synth for less (the part# lol) ask me instead. The VFD’s especially can be ‘colored’ with a film over them. Also keep in mind the pictures on reverb are “Glamour shots” :wink:

5 Likes

The guy selling the screens on reverb is a total douchebag. He got pissed because I asked some questions about the screen and the parts.

4 Likes

Is this the same display? Will it work, you think?

Does anyone have any links to a U.S. source for a new A4 mki LCD (preferably white on black)? Only thing I could find is the Reverb source above and it says the seller “is on vacation” (hilarious that Reverb has that disclaimer). Thanks in advance!

Seems like specs to search for (for mk1 A4/AR/AK) are 122x32 dots, 8 bit parallel interface, CFAH1602A type, Avant SBN1661G or SED1520 controller.

As others have mentioned white on black is not possible with LCD, those which are sold as this are really light blue on dark blue with selective editing on the photo to make them appear like that. I know because I bought one of these supposed white on black from that seller, and it was dark blue.

Edit: Added - if you want to attempt replacing the screen yourself better to get one without header pins fitted, it is much less risky and easier to leave the pins in the main PCB. Use a good quality solder wick/braid to remove the solder, I have done a few now and this is by far the quickest and easiest method with no risk of damage to the expensive Elektron PCB.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info!

So this looks like the business. Think I should confirm with Elektron before pulling the trigger?

I’m definitely going to find a local tech (Chicago recommendations welcome) or have it sent off.

1 Like

I took a shot and ordered one today. Hopefully, it’ll do the job for my RYTM Mk1.

2 Likes

Will these also fade with time?