Analog Heat

Two would be really cool for DJing as well! :diddly:

Just digging into Heat, can see how two would be great fun (and useful). Any vid recommendations of live use?

Hi William
where do you have the Heat exactly in the chain of a live set?

for the moment I have the heat on the send/return fx, of a a&h xone42 mixer,
thank you for explaining…:smiley_cat:
kind regards,
a.

1 Like

Hello,

it really depends about what you need to achieve with the Analog HEAT. it can be used in so many ways… And regarding what exactly you trying to process with it, the routing and place in the chain will vary… Also sometimes you need to try before or after a certain configuration to hear what’s sounds better… Also the HEAT is a chain in its own right ( DRIVE > CIRCUIT > DIRT > Multimode FILTER > EQ )

With all crazy Modulations capabilities on top of that and how much scenario can be covered by the HEAT ? making hard to reply without a precise context.

When I use it as a master effect chain it’s between my Master Output from my Mixing Desk and the PA system. So I can shape Extreme and then coming back to a more soft processing (exactly like a New York Compression or Parallel Compression)

When I use it creatively it can be track processing, Bus Processing, a Module in a Modulation Processing…
I never use it in Ableton Live as a Send-Return instead create Audio Tracks and make an Audio Bus myself so I can Resample the Processed Signal more easily.

Hope that helps a bit.

1 Like

Hello William thank you for your reply :smiley: for a live set i want it to use to shape and boost the sound of the 3 elektrons coming together, i tried it to chain between the master out of my mixer and the amplifier, but than the recorded sound was without any :heat: :slightly_frowning_face: because it was out of the chain. …
That said i love the magic of the heat,
:heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Does your mixer have send FXs you can plug into? Maybe try that

Not to say you don’t know about that- I just discovered it not too long ago-so in case it’s not just me that notion eludes

1 Like

Plug the aux out on your mixer to the input of the heat. Connect the output of heat to a stereo input on your mixer. That mixer channel is the effected audio. If you want to hear only the effected audio you will need to find out if your mixer “sends” the signal to the aux out before or after the channel fader attentuates it.

3 Likes

Thank you :thup: :happy:

3 Likes

Man, I suddenly want an Analog Heat super bad.

2 Likes

It’d be really cool if the AH got a minor face-lift to give it buttons, and an OLED display like the DN/DT.

Maybe make a new version with 4 input, and the ability to mix 2 stereo signals? :muscle:

1 Like

This thins is nuts. In love!

I got my Heat a little over a month ago, it’s my first Elektron box & I love it more & more every day. When it first came out I wasn’t impressed, didn’t think it was for me. Every demo I watched the box is pushed hard, distortion to the max. I actually like it more subtly (sometimes I push it hard, but rarely). Anyways, Cuckoo’s demos & Dataline’s showed me it’s potential. It still sounds better in person of course :o) I thought about it for months, had a hard time pulling the trigger due to the cost. When I got it I had buyers remorse (only on day 1). I guess I was expecting miracles for the price of it. But the more I play with it, the more I love it.
Even though I only use vinyl samples & hardware synths & mainly make boom bap type beats (I make other stuff too), I’m really picky about my “dirty” sounds & distortion. Heat can make things sound dirty in the best way (for my ears). It makes drum breaks sound absolutely amazing. & I love the filter. I love the eq. I love everything about it (haven’t tried Overbridge yet tho). Very happy I got it & don’t plan on ever selling it. It makes everything sound better (again… to my ears).

4 Likes

I just got my AH today, and after just making a few variations of the “Magnetic Master” preset, and listening to some of my Digitone beats transformed, I’m definitely in love. The Digitone, and this beautiful box are making me very happy right now. Can’t believe it took me so long to finally get one.

7 Likes

Hehe, I agree with you @Prints: lately this has been my combo as well! Digitone covers so much ground and Analog Heat offers such a wide flexibility to treat the output, I haven’t felt the need to use anything else in impro sessions with my mate @RubbishTC.

Well, an Eventide Space maybe, although DN reverb is really gorgeous: I just love to drown the sound in reverb sometimes…

But yeah, DN + AH is beautiful !

1 Like

Happy to hear you are digging the heat! Its one of those pieces that you kinda forget about after a while, but caanot live without IMO. You start to take having one for grated, in the best possible way. You dont hype it you just use it lol

3 Likes

This thing is amusing. All of a sudden, all my music sounds like crap if it is not on :joy:

4 Likes

I think I’ll use AH for subtle duties, maybe combined with 2 Analog Drive for high gain distortions. (Oto Boum too, waiting for more demos).
I have already 1 AD, sound really different !

Even with 100% Drive, not enough gain for me with AH.
But with filters, envelopes and lfo it can be very good. Not for high gain distortion.

Damn mine absolutely scorches everything if I dare use it on High Gain with the drive maxed out (including my ears). I have never used it past enhancement really. That’s also because I use it on the master and not on aux but still. And I wholeheartedly agree with the comments that you quickly take it for granted but oh the agony when it’s off. Like the El Capistan and Space; it’s just one of those things that’s always on you know ?

I just say AH is not the best in high gain heavy dirty distortion. Easy comparison with guitar stomp boxes and AD of course.

For me it’s like there’s a limiter before drive or elsewhere, which would make sense for Overbridge levels.

I had it on the master and made a A/B between no Heat and Heat in Not active. I used the alt Out on my mackie mixer to do it instantly.

The sound becoumes definatly thinner when I run it through the non active heat. :frowning:

That dissapointed me, and i felt honestly a bit fooled. Of course when I do the A/B between Heat Active and Heat Non Active it is signifficant. But when I compare it to no Heat at all in point of enhancement, thickness and livelyness (not really diatortion), its not doin SO much as it seems when i deactivate the Heat.

So I returned it after i was totally impressed first. It seemd an illusion.

1 Like